Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pj Kwong's Blog

vCash
    Thank you for sharing your blog PJ.

vCash
    Thank you for all your interwies, PJ!
    But why we didnt have any information about ice dance teams programs? And Paul in his blog talk about photo-session and video interwies, but we couldnt find nothing yet on Skate Canada site and on skatebuzz....
    And V-M didnt skate in Canton tests. Will they skate in this season at all?
    Last edited by pani; 09-18-2010 at 09:42 AM.

vCash
    oh, pani..it looks like we still have to suffer..I imagine Pj has been asked not to say anything yet..So, unless anything is announced in the meantime ,V/M are supposed to debut their SD at the taping of "Shall We Dance..on Ice" next wednesday, I think it is. We'll have to hear something at least about the SD then , since that would be too big an audience to swear to secrecy..

vCash
    After USA team skating tests we had at least video interwies with skaters and some reporst on twitter. Someone mabe want to save information about skating, but not all skaters.... Skate Canada didnt made any report from HPC at there official site. I didnt ta;l about V-M - they have a lot off problems, but what about others?
    Only PJ did some report from HPC.....

And Pratfall, V-M will take part in show, wich being held before 4 days before SC. I hope Tessas shins will be OK.

vCash
    Come on pani, don't get panicked.
    Nobody said there are problems and it's no use to say they won't compete at all.This is actually what those who want them to lose this season want to hear and maybe work on it too a bit.
    Everything is good and I actually like the secrecy, I wish we had it last year when people saw Mahler too early and started criticising it.

A big thanks to PJ.I love your blog.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zotza View Post
    Come on pani, don't get panicked.
    Nobody said there are problems and it's no use to say they won't compete at all.This is actually what those who want them to lose this season want to hear and maybe work on it too a bit..
    I mean, that Scott said to IFS journal about Tessa still feel the pain. But this is pff-top, sorry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingpj View Post
    Hi....Eric and Meaghan weren't there - I got a great interview with Christy Krall as well as Amelie Lacoste, Diane Szmiett, Mylene Brodeur and John Matattall and just spoke with Jeremy Ten and am looking forward to catching up with Shawn Sawyer shortly as welll as Paige and Rudy - will get to writing them all up as soon as my stubby little fingers can get to them Hope everyone has a great weekend! Pj
    I aplogize PJ if I came off as blaming you for the lack of information coming from the HPC. I love to read your fantastic, informative blogs.

vCash
    New blog on Bob Emerson, who became a coach of Tomas Verner:

http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/?e=5445...Tomas%20Verner

vCash
    Hi everyone - It has been a very hectic couple of weeks for me and I am finishing a week in Spain with what I thought was a dead laptop. It turns out it was only sleeping So - brought my notes to Spain with me and just posted a blog about Christy Krall talking about her own coaching as well as a couple of interesting tidbits on Patrick Chan - I am back on track and have some more that I will write up over the next week or so...the blog is here : apps.pjkwong.com/blog .... Thanks again for your support ! Cheers, Pj

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingpj View Post
    So - brought my notes to Spain with me and just posted a blog about Christy Krall talking about her own coaching as well as a couple of interesting tidbits on Patrick Chan - I am back on track and have some more that I will write up over the next week or so...the blog is here :
    Direct link: Catching up With Christy Krall about Patrick Chan

Thanks, and enjoy your remaining time in Spain!

vCash
    Catching up with…..Jeremy Ten

Thank you Pj! He’s a sweetheart.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Just got my copy of Pj's new book "Taking the Ice" last week. It's an exhaustive summary of most of the prominent Canadian figure skaters, coaches, and choreographers. (I'm not too familiar with Canadian skating history. As far as I can tell, it is pretty encyclopedic.) The people featured in the book include: Underhill and Martini, Wilson and McCall, Barbara Ann Scott, Liz Manley, Toller Cranston, Brian Orser, Elvis Stojko, Kurt Browning, Jeff Buttle, Sandra Bezic, Lori Nichol, David Wilson, Donald Jackson, Annie Barabe, Ellen Burka, and Doug Leigh.

The chapters are fairly short (3-4 pages per person). I have not read all the chapters, but from what I have read, the style and tone are typical of Pj's writing and commentary -- crisp, neutral, straightforward, and matter of fact, but never lacking in warmth, wit, and respect. Although every person featured in the book is based on Pj's direct interviews and interactions, the reporting remains generally unsentimental. There is very little gossip or personal judgment as far as I can tell. None of the wink wink, nudge nudge attitude so common in figure skating books that pass for journalism.

Interestingly, one part of the book is a blow-by-blow (or rather person-by-person) account of the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics judging scandal involving Sale and Peltier. Here Pj documented the reactions and comments of various people she had direct contact with at the time. Not surprisingly, most were members of the Canadian delegation and CBC personnel. Therefore, it is inevitable that the statements and sentiment she recorded were from the Canadian observers' point of view and more sympathetic toward the Canadian skaters.

To this day, the SLC pairs incident is still emotionally charged among fans and skating insiders. Everyone has a strong opinion, and few can bear to listen to the opinion of people in the other camp. However, the tone of this part of the book remains calm. She also made repeated mentions of the bronze medalists Shen and Zhao, who were the forgotten characters in this saga. Pj recorded the real-time reaction of people around her rather honestly in a matter-of-fact way. It's quite a fascinating read even if you disagree with the Canadian point of view (just as a disclaimer, I'm agnostic about the results).

Overall, I wish someone had written a similar book about the prominent figures (no pun intended) in U.S. figure skating. No tabloid gossips, no settling personal scores, no passive-aggressive bitching. Just honest, respectful, and first-hand reporting of the history and (especially) people. U.S. figure skating deserves as much.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 10-17-2010 at 05:09 AM.

vCash
    Thanks for the review Jun Y. I am hoping someone will gift me with this book for Christmas - if I can hold out until then.

vCash
    I concur with Jun Y's review, and comments!

vCash
    WOW! Thank you so much for the review Jun and for the other comments. I am overwhelmed by the support. It makes the untold hours in my closet (believe it or not that's where my desk was at the time) more than worthwhile. Thank you again! Pj

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    So...I have another page to go and print out over at Amazon.ca to go along w/the one for The Music of The Lord of the Rings.

Learned a couple of years ago that doing that, then leaving the papers out and about where they can be seen, does wonders when it comes to my Birthday *and* Christmas.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Judging changes part of new figure skating season
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/pjkwo...ng-season.html

Pj's latest entry (in her CBC blog)

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    Just got my copy of Pj's new book "Taking the Ice" last week. It's an exhaustive summary of most of the prominent Canadian figure skaters, coaches, and choreographers. (I'm not too familiar with Canadian skating history. As far as I can tell, it is pretty encyclopedic.) The people featured in the book include: Underhill and Martini, Wilson and McCall, Barbara Ann Scott, Liz Manley, Toller Cranston, Brian Orser, Elvis Stojko, Kurt Browning, Jeff Buttle, Sandra Bezic, Lori Nichol, David Wilson, Donald Jackson, Annie Barabe, Ellen Burka, and Doug Leigh.
    Where can you get this book? I just looked on Amazon and it's not listed.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    I didn't realize PJ Kwong is a Caucasion woman. This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode .

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    ^ She's not.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast