Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pj Kwong's Blog

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vassily View Post
    Is exactly what it is. Old school, not modern music.

That doesn't answer the question. What's old school, and what's modern? When I was growing up, "old school" rap referred to stuff made in the 1970s. Recently, I was told that "old school" rap/hip hop now includes stuff made in the 1990s -- the very stuff we were calling "new school"! Where's the dividing line with tango music?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    First and second links are absolutley not samba songs. Shakira mixed african influences in this song, samba also have roots in africa, but is is not samba.

The 3 link have a samba beat but its more african, I think Navarro and Bometre used this song to their african/brazilian horrible OD.

I love this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzFt7A34e0M but agian it is not a standart samba but have strong influence. This is is also nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50SuE...eature=related and mayve go well with rumba, but the lyrics are dark from the dictatorial time in Brazil.
    Last edited by *Carol*; 09-01-2010 at 07:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    That doesn't answer the question. What's old school, and what's modern? When I was growing up, "old school" rap referred to stuff made in the 1970s. Recently, I was told that "old school" rap/hip hop now includes stuff made in the 1990s -- the very stuff we were calling "new school"! Where's the dividing line with tango music?
    That is a funny story- in latin and tango music it is hard to tell the boundary. but I think the modern she talked about is the music of mainstream culture currently. Could show pop, hiphopp, or just any music that is within waht is popular among younger listeners. but it is just a guess...

vCash
    I was thinking maybe something from Sergio Mendes for a samba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzhRr4PWD-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucD0gTr66ho

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    The last time we had latin FD it was a DISASTER.
    May I remind everyone of Gritshuk and Platov 95 Latin FD ?? Or anyone who did one before ?
    That was because Latin just did not suit G&P. They were rough skaters, the program lack refinement and it was messy messy messy. Plus her long legs with big feet in that very very short fru-fru skirt made her look like a praying mantis. It was a dog's breakfast all over.

V&M are much better than that. But I also think they need to step out of what they did last season and do something very different. Maybe the Latin will do that for them.

I would still love to see V&M though do Pink Floyd to its full potential. We never got to see that.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Well, skaters (like Meryl D. and Isabelle Delobel) carve huge edges, not short ones, when they skate. But because their leg lines are shorter than most skaters, it shouldn’t be confused with skaters who actually have choppy skating. Ooops off topic

Many thanks to PJ for this interview…I, like everyone else is super stoked to see this new free dance. But most importantly I can’t wait to see what Tessa will wear! Hopefully she can ditch those long, shin-length dresses she wears all the time, and get a shorter dress or skirt that is a bit more revealing. Want to see diva Tessa this season. As for the short dance are their levels being assigned in the waltz? I’m as to how this would work. Agree with Aussiewilly about wanting to see PF again...had last season not been an Olympic one, a healthy
    V/M would have probably been able to skate to it the way it was supposed to be choreographed. Still, I expect this Latin free dance to have some detailed, voidy choreography. They are more than capable of handling that.

Crossing my fingers that Verner will be one of the two men I want to win a medal at worlds this year… long overdue for a medal. His skating has always reminded me a bit of Chris Bowman/Kurt Browning…so his short program should be memorable.
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 09-02-2010 at 02:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vassily View Post
    I

the majoirty of their skaters, with the exception of a few did not show this. in the past when so many people on this and other board talk about the 'speed skating' of a certain couple- Davis white, this is truly reflecting on them, not a generalisation of their other dance couples. To hear the same statement said by so many others again and again, I don't feel it is too fair for them or their coach.

Yes, thank you for agreeing with me on this!! Short-edges, short stroking; I hate!

AND given that you bring Davis & White as examples of the "short-track" skaters that was mentioned in the above, well, you said it not me! I said nothings!
    Last edited by piano18; 09-02-2010 at 02:00 AM.

vCash
    Short Edges = the LENGTH of the edge, not necessarily depth and absolutely not steepness of the edge! Anyone watching any skating, fan or not could see this tons of short edges, strokes to get from point A to B, almost looking like running on toepicks. That is short edges and short strokes I just cannot STAND.

Anyways back on topics

Tessa needs to improve her skating more. The basicness of her skating, steep edge, positioning is really good already, she needs to do MORE, more power, more of everything, like Domnina does have.

"Old school" is indeed a very icky sticky term. The old school R&B- or so I came to know it- Sam Cooke, Dinah Washington, Gladys Knight; now, I often hear "old school R&B" being coined to Whitney Houston, Peabo Bryson, and even Mariah Carey !!! (maybe use of the term '"old School" is used more appropriately to define Mariah, when back then she really could actually SING, she can't even sing now anymore )
    Last edited by piano18; 09-02-2010 at 05:18 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    Tessa needs to improve her skating more. The basicness of her skating, steep edge, positioning is really good already, she needs to do MORE, more power, more of everything, like Domnina does have.
    Whoa! An OGM isn't enough?

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to, but I don't think there is much more she needs to do. It is all pretty much there.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Yes, thank you for agreeing with me on this!! Short-edges, short stroking; I hate!

AND given that you bring Davis & White as examples of the "short-track" skaters that was mentioned in the above, well, you said it not me! I said nothings!
    Maybe I was not that clear with you (sorry for unclear words), but I didn’t agree with you. Merely was saying that regardeless of who is the coach, so many young teams growwing up in the new system are not great at refinement and poliish etc. that tends to show more in lower, younger skaterd and not much so with the top ones. Sorry if i talked Davis-white, but i thought you were talking about them because so many others have used to talk about them using 'speed skating' terms.

vCash
    But i think her maine problem is her injury and pain with wich she skated
    I think in Flamenco at OG and WCh she had a lot off power.

vCash
    Hmm, I don't see any weaknesses in Tessa at all, unless you count the occasional slipup on twizzles now and then if that is a fault. They have plenty of power in their skating, what they could use now, is a powerful style. Try giving their Flamenco OD to a lesser team and see how others handle it- maintaining the original speed throughout the entire dance, garnering level 4's (in case of olys-level 3's). Most would come to a complete halt just by the holds alone. If Tessa+Scott are able to power through this dance without looking tired then they are doing a pretty darn good job of making it look effortless. They just need to remain healthy right now.

And then if you skate to soft, lyrical freedances for 3 of 4 seasons, what does one expect, a powerful and dramatic heave ho approach that predominates? And then when another team continously receives genres that are heavier and dramatic, a bit faux-angst in fashion, then obviously you have an idea of what to expect. So the comparison is not exactly accurate.

In short I just can't wait to see their new dances!

vCash
    Tessa is a gorgeous figure skater and one of the best in the world. There is nothing wrong with her skating.

vCash
    I don't know why anyone would ever think theeres something so wrong with her skating, let alone those perfect twizzles (yes, her twizzle technique is the best, not "slip-up" ). But anyways, I despise twizzles. Twizzles don't = skating skills. Skaters stay on flat edges to twizzle. Her technique, I mean the REAL skating technique, not gimmick twizzles is currently the best, it's obvious. The basics are nearly perfect, even in 2005 she couldn't have a badly turned edge. However she can still improve more, much more; power and everything else. I see the MOST potential for her. And that is a good thing ! When was it said there was something wrong with her skating? is it when I suggested she improve her skating in getting some more power? Everything is there of course, the entire skill set, I think she has the most potential to get better. And that can only be good! Unless her pain limits her best ability of course. If she improves a lot then their compulsory dances will be most excellent.

And also, having a more powerful style does not mean having the most powerful skating !

vCash
    Tessa and Scott always say they are striving to improve..( No resting on laurels, bravo for them !)I do think they've shown power when their choreography required it, but there's always room to work toward perfection. That goes for anybody.
    And I'm very sure I would not want Tessa to be emulating Domnina . She's much better off working to be the best Tessa.

vCash
    Twizzles are done on inside or outside edges, just like how pairs/dance spins (and death spirals) can be done the same way. And the change of edge is what makes it more difficult, and the assigning of levels.
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 09-02-2010 at 10:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Tessa and Scott always say they are striving to improve..( No resting on laurels, bravo for them !)I do think they've shown power when their choreography required it, but there's always room to work toward perfection. That goes for anybody.
    YES! Thank you. The same can be said for everyone of course,, not just Virtue. I say her because she already has the best basics now, Faiella is good too, she can get these improvements as well, V&M though, have tons of potential to get better, especially her and that is a GOOD thing.

And I'm very sure I would not want Tessa to be emulating Domnina . She's much better off working to be the best Tessa.
    Leaves and all Yes, she should be working to be the best of herself, not copy Domnina's style or anyone else for that matter. Poor Domnina was not at all herself in Vancouver, all that lack of training really phucked up their execution, which is tragic because their skating is when at their best, beautiful, powerful and smooth like the CD. But she's retired now..

vCash
    Skaters must stay on a FLAT edge when twizzling, everyone sees this!! Catch an edge and you've splatted yourself..hard. Teams CHANGE on outside/inside edge is to get momentum & enter on their second set of twizzles, especially most obvious for those teams who twizzle on one-foot. (but they still stay on flats while twizzling)...it's obvious!

Twizzles are done on flat edges, if not everyone would be falling over themselves and their partners.

BTW, Assigning of twizzle's levels:
    http://www.chnfs.org/ISU/COMMUNICATION/1496-e.pdf

Skaters enter on either one of the four edges before madly twizzling on flats. Yes, FLAT edges when twizzling.
    Last edited by piano18; 09-02-2010 at 10:18 PM.

vCash
    Twizzles are bloody hard. That is why so many skaters, even the top ones, have trouble with them. And that is why they are given credit.

The difference between a twizzle and a three turn is actually in the knee action. You do not want to see any pumping of knee to generate the turn. And what you are trying to achieve is being on the right part of the blade so you get that balance point.

vCash
    Right, AW.. not to mention synchronizing with your partner on top of all that. If it was so easy, it would hardly have been a required element.
    Just want to clarify..To me V/M's position at the top of the world is unquestionable right now..But there is enough talent coming up behind them ( notably D/W ) that they couldn't afford to coast , even if they wanted to... which they do not.
    I thought D/S were very fortunate that the CD was Tango at the Olympics , but you know, Max WAS that dance. His costume was baggy enough that his lines were somewhat obscured ( which normally drives me wild in a CD), but I could forgive it, because his expression was pure Tango.. He was so mesmerizing , I could barely spare a glance for Domnina.
    V/Ms expression was also good but more equally balanced and slightly more restrained. Timing for both teams seemed excellent though they made some different choices in accent. and they were not that far ahead of V/M when it was over..So I think that it's not a good example to use to point out what Tessa needs to work on.
    Last edited by Pratfall; 09-03-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Adding on/sp.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast