Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pj Kwong's Blog

vCash
    Thank you! PJ said hopefully by tomorrow night Tessa's interview will be up

vCash
    Thanks for posting those! They are definitely worth a read.

vCash
    PJ's new blog "Catching up with Tessa Virtue" is up now...

vCash
    Thanks for posting.

I like they are doing a Latin FD. A real departure from the past. Can't wait to see it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    You're welcome I'm looking forward to the latin FD as well. I'm still not sure I'm sold on the waltz/tango combination in the short dance. Oh well. I think I'll wait and see how the short dances look on the Grand Prix to start making judgements.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for all the blog posts. I'm pleased with Tomas Verner's choice of the instrumental version of Singing in the Rain for his SP. Tomas mentioning that he was inspired by Gene Kelly and Kurt Browning's versions was a nice touch. I'm looking forward to watching his SP this year.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Thanks for the post!

I am actually intrigued by their SD concept being similar to "The Great Gatsby". Looking forward to their Latin FD also and see what they will come up with...but generally not a fan of the Latin rhythm though...

vCash
    Thanks for posting !!

vCash
    So, how would a Tango/Waltz/Tango done during the Great Gatsby Era look like?

And Samba/Rhumba/Samba. Is that what Faiella/Scalli did back in 2003/2004 (I think that was the season)? I'm trying to think what a Samba on Ice looks like.

vCash
    In the paragraph about the FD music being modern and not at all old school, I just want to ask what, to her is old school?

Secondly, I wish they will be cognizant of staying within the bounds of figure skating and ice dancing and please don't fall into a trap that can fall in Shpilband's camp concerning fast paced FDs: short strokes, short edges, fast short track skating into elements that give the impression of gymnastastical short track skaters. At least they have fleetingly good figure skating speed (yes, FIGURE SKATING speed!) not fake short track speed so please take your time during those step sequences and keep that style and not become an Igor Shpilband short track skating team.

i will Wait to see if they have new step sequences too...
    Also PJ quoted in the blog about them using a tango being on either side of the waltz; Tango-Waltz-Tango; is this such a good idea? So many teams immersing tango rhythm in their SD, even juniors!

Also, one-minute of the Golden Waltz is just too little. Most teams all struggle with the second iteration. Skaters should do 2 CDs in the SD.
    Last edited by piano18; 09-01-2010 at 07:22 AM.

vCash
    Well there is not much choice. Tango, Waltz, Blues and something else. Not a lot of variety to pick from.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Maybe I just need to actually watch a short dance, but this concept seems really bizarre to me right now. I just feel like having a random pattern of Golden Waltz in the middle of your program is going to be really weird (I guess they can put it anywhere in the program, but still).
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Latin FD ... I fear the worst
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Honestly, I'm excited about V/M's Latin FD. It's been a while since they've been down that road, and I think it's about time they revisit the style. I have no doubt they will do it justice. As for the tango/waltz/tango SD, if I had heard that a month ago, I would have been terrified for them, but after attending the Thornhill competition a few weeks ago I think it will work. Paul/Islam (Canadian junior champs who moved senior this year) performed their SD to a tango theme, and they absolutely knocked it out of the park. The golden waltz portion was incorporated into the program seamlessly, and it really didn't stand out in hash contrast to the rest of the music. In fact, they managed to make the waltz steps look like a tango. Having seen that combining the styles can actually work very well, I have no doubt that V/M's SD will be awesome.

vCash
    The last time we had latin FD it was a DISASTER.
    May I remind everyone of Gritshuk and Platov 95 Latin FD ?? Or anyone who did one before ?

The only ones who did something quite nice were Dubreuil & Lauzon, and it was a tango.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Latin FD ... I fear the worst
    No surpise - all, what V-M are doing, is worst for you

What V-M thinking about there FD after C-Z must changed there Latin combo FD because it wasnt good FD?

And maybe D-W will not have tango FD? S-B, V-M had tango music in there SDs

vCash
    I'm trying to remember of a modern samba song that a non brazilian can now..I don't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Carol* View Post
    I'm trying to remember of a modern samba song that a non brazilian can now..I don't know.
    How do you think, is this samba?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGCm9wLHZoc&feature=fvst

Or this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6ZGe3Pcs4

I think traditianal samba is
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqao21cZ5nM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Thanks for the post!

I am actually intrigued by their SD concept being similar to "The Great Gatsby". Looking forward to their Latin FD also and see what they will come up with...but generally not a fan of the Latin rhythm though...
    I am happy they are doing a Latin dance...they were not my favourites in the past couple years, but am starting to grow on me. For someone being familiar with Great Gatsby, i am even more interrested to see what they will do in this dance.
    In regarding the music chioce of modern music, I think- Is exactly what it is. Old school, not modern music. Of couurse not classical, maybe something made in past 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    short strokes, short edges, fast short track skating into elements that give the impression of gymnastastical short track skaters. At least they have fleetingly good figure skating speed (yes, FIGURE SKATING speed!) not fake short track speed
    Then you sure must have not watched much dance in the past decade because the majoirty of their skaters, with the exception of a few did not show this. in the past when so many people on this and other board talk about the 'speed skating' of a certain couple- Davis white, this is truly reflecting on them, not a generalisation of their other dance couples. To hear the same statement said by so many others again and again, I don't feel it is too fair for them or their coach.
    Last edited by vassily; 09-01-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast