View Poll Results: Who is the king of skating dads?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Poppa Cho

1 1.14%
  • Poppa Czakó

1 1.14%
  • Poppa Henie

22 25.00%
  • Poppa Kwan

49 55.68%
  • Poppa Robertson

0 0%
  • Poppa Trenary

2 2.27%
  • Poppa Weiss

9 10.23%
  • Other (please identify)

4 4.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    ... Unfortunately I don´t know many things about Weiss´ wife.
    All I know about Mrs. Weiss is that she was (maybe, still is) Michael's choreographer. However, I don't think that less-than-stellar choreography is determinative of this issue.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    As vocal as any of "the skating mothers," Ronnie's father. Naval Architect Albert R. Robertson, blew his stack: "It's politics, stinking politics." Said Ronnie's coach, Gus Lussi: "The whole thing is fishy, and I think it started in this country, not abroad."
    That is very Mrs.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Papa Henie, for sure.

If Marjorie Chin is the Dragon Lady, what does that make Papa Henie? The Nordic Nightmare?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I remember Jill's dad said, "not bad for a fat kid" when she won her world title.
    Are you sure you're remembering this correctly? I do not recall this at all. Was it in a fluff piece on ABC?

----

My pick is Poppa Weiss. He posed for Play Girl (not completely nude), and was always wearing those tight, tight knitted shirts and dark shades on TV. It was like, "Ok, we got it. You pumped Irons manly man."

Vacant
    vCash
    Papa Henie, NO competition on this one!!

Cecilia Colledge
    It was always 'MYYYYYY Sonja!!!'

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    All I know about Mrs. Weiss is that she was (maybe, still is) Michael's choreographer. However, I don't think that less-than-stellar choreography is determinative of this issue.
    I don't know the dynamics of how/why Michael decided to use her as his choreographer and I would have liked to see him try other people more often, but the times I've met Lisa she seems to be very funny and self-deprecating. In addition, I know she puts in tons of time each year working on the Michael Weiss Foundation show, so for that.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Thank you Garden Kitty. Lisa Weiss is a really nice person, has a very happy family (great kids) and works her butt off on Michael's Foundation which supports developing talent.

vCash
    [QUOTE=skateboy;2861728]I voted for Poppa Kwan, because I know more about him than some of the others. I do think he was an annoyingly aggressive skate dad, and I've always felt it was he that was behind the decision for Michelle to take the senior test, against Frank's wishes, which was not cool. An eleven-year-old doesn't negotiate such things on her own. (Before any Kwaniacs attack me, I admit I have no proof of this. Just a hunch.)

I voted for Papa Kwan also.

I have no proof either but I definitely think it was his decision for her to take the senior test.

vCash
    The Nordic Nightmare.

Sonja Henie's father was something else. I'm not sure if he actively pushed her, but he managed her career and most likely spoiled her rotten as a kid.

Danny Kwan was the epitome of the stereotypical first generation Chinese American dad, but telling you're daughter that she'll be an embarrassment to her country if she doesn't win gold is pretty harsh.

vCash
    I don't exactly remember what year it was; probably 2000 when Michael Weiss had to qualify at Sectionals in Pittsburgh. His father was singularly one of the most annoying persons. When Michael was skating, he would stand through the entire performance with his hands in his pocket, regardless of who needed to see around him

vCash
    I picked Papa Henie over Papa Kwan...if Mr. Kwan was as big of a bad-a$$ skating dad as Mr. Henie and had the same kind of politikal pull with the judges, then Michelle would've also been been a two-time Olympic Champ and the 1995/1997/2002 World Champ (with the exact same skates). Since Mr. Kwan didn't have that kind of power and Mr. Henie did...

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    Danny Kwan was the epitome of the stereotypical first generation Chinese American dad, but telling you're daughter that she'll be an embarrassment to her country if she doesn't win gold is pretty harsh.
    Actually a lot of Chinese parents use negative psychology on their kids. It's not for me to judge that one comment. Besides, Kwan seems a pretty tough cookie. Now if Kween were fragile and Kwan dad used that on her I would be mad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    I don't exactly remember what year it was; probably 2000 when Michael Weiss had to qualify at Sectionals in Pittsburgh. His father was singularly one of the most annoying persons. When Michael was skating, he would stand through the entire performance with his hands in his pocket, regardless of who needed to see around him
    What's wrong with having his hands in his pocket...?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How bad arse are you then?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Actually a lot of Chinese parents use negative psychology on their kids. It's not for me to judge that one comment. Besides, Kwan seems a pretty tough cookie. Now if Kween were fragile and Kwan dad used that on her I would be mad.
    Right. Publicly, at least, the Kwan kids seem to be psychologically and emotionally healthy (whatever that means) and don't seem to harbor any ill-will towards Papa Kwan. At least, Michelle Kwan got a great work ethic and seems like she has a lot confidence because of it as opposed to in spite of it.

That doesn't mean Papa Kwan wasn't responsible for some bad decisions, but like many skating parents, they didn't do it out of maliciousness or serious attention-seeking. Papa Kwan has been accused of the greed angle for quite some time (especially with the Riedel skate situation which I believe was out of naivete over the impact of switching boot brands), but until I see some patterned behavior with concrete evidence (like Frank Carroll stating that money was the reason- which he publicly gave other reasons like Kwan and him butting heads or having differences in training but not money) then I'm not so quick to say that Papa Kwan was necessarily greedy.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Well, Papa Henie, for sure.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    What exactly is Papa Henie known for? What did he...do?
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 09-02-2010 at 06:17 AM.

vCash
    Ensuring that judgeing panels had lots of skaters from Sonja's home country among other things.

Papa Weiss would have been my second choice. Not many remember that Michael's sister also used to compete. I heard of a story about someone whose friend competed against said sister. Friend competed at Sectionals and got the last spot for Nationals, Michael's sister coming in just behind her. While friend's Mom was with daughter assisting her in getting changed to go home, officials and friends ran in telling her to grab her daughter and get the hell out of there, because Papa Weiss was on the warpath and on his way over. No joke, they were told to run for their own safety.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Ensuring that judgeing panels had lots of skaters from Sonja's home country among other things.

Papa Weiss would have been my second choice. Not many remember that Michael's sister also used to compete. I heard of a story about someone whose friend competed against said sister. Friend competed at Sectionals and got the last spot for Nationals, Michael's sister coming in just behind her. While friend's Mom was with daughter assisting her in getting changed to go home, officials and friends ran in telling her to grab her daughter and get the hell out of there, because Papa Weiss was on the warpath and on his way over. No joke, they were told to run for their own safety.
    Wow! What was he going to do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by inthemiddle View Post
    Ok, I voted for you.
    Thank you!
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast