Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    (....What song did you use?)
    Boyz-n-the-Hood was the first. Tangos are good for varying the rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    My biggest problem is that I do everything a zillion times better on my right foot than on my left.

I've been trying to get my flip for about 3 years now - without success. I just don't have the courage to land it on one foot - I always 2foot it.
    I'm going to tell you something you already know. You have to do everything on the "bad" side twice as many times as on the good side. I always have my students do the good side first, so they can try to pattern the bad side after how the good side feels. This really works! When I first learned FXO's, my CW were pathetic, so I always did more of them. They actually became my better ones, and still always feel smoother than CCW. Guess I have to do the CCW twice as many times now

Re the flip - have you tried the exercise where you toe off but don't rotate? Instead of rotating, just jump up and land. This is good for practicing both the take off and the landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    What is this?
    I know what Bach remedy is, but after talking about music, I saw that post and thought "hmmm, skating to Bach?"

vCash
    For me, putting on all sorts of protective gear helps to some extent.
    There is NO WAY I will throw myself into something new and complicated,
    have to conquer it piece by piece, mentally and physically, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Boyz-n-the-Hood was the first. Tangos are good for varying the rhythm.
    Music helps me, too. On empty public sessions, I put on my iPod shuffle with a mix of upbeat music that makes me really want to skate.

Also, just falling and getting it over with helps me. A few times, I've just let myself fall to remind myself that nothing bad will happen. After I fall once, I usually loosen up and am able to go for things with more energy. It's like my brain needs a reminder that most falls don't end in a hospital visit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    I know what Bach remedy is, but after talking about music, I saw that post and thought "hmmm, skating to Bach?"
    LOL me, too!

One of the coaches at my rink swears that a combination of vitamin B6 and C taken about 45 minutes before you skate helps with nerves. I tried drinking wine once, but I don't recommend it......

vCash
    I have used the Bach remedy & it does seem to help for me. I still feel nervous before, but I don't have the leg shakiness once I'm on the ice & I can focus. I don't always remember to use it--and I should! Anything to help. (I'm a nervous tester)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    My scary jumps is actually toe loop!
    LOL, my absolute worst jump is toe loop. I originally learned it CCW before I switched directions to CW. My best jumps are flip and loop. I learned salchow, toe loop and loop in group lessons. My coach taught me flip and lutz (my flip is good, my lutz is mostly a flutz but not bad). I fixed my horrible loop after years of misery, and my salchow is acceptable. Toe loop = I fall constantly or toe waltz jump. Hate it, hate it. I'm not afraid of it, more defeated by it. I can't imagine how those things become quads, LOL. One out of every fifty of them feels like an actual jump.

As to being scared, I was terrified of jumping for years, but knee pads gave me my comfort zone (though you can fall on a thousand different body parts doing jumps, I ruptured my bursa in my kneecap learning waltz jump, so that was my bugaboo). I'm still scared of axels, but honestly I'm more afraid of right foot power pulls.

vCash

How to stop being anxious

Try this:

Play a mind game with yourself. Repeat until you believe it, "I an not nervous - I am excited". I have given this useless bit of information to a number on high level elite skaters and it has worked with some.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    Try this:

Play a mind game with yourself. Repeat until you believe it, "I an not nervous - I am excited". I have given this useless bit of information to a number on high level elite skaters and it has worked with some.
    That is actually a great tip! Right in line with what you learn at behavioral therapie! Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12