View Poll Results: Who Is the Queen of Skating Moms?

Voters
178. You may not vote on this poll
  • Momma Henie

1 0.56%
  • Momma Heiss

0 0%
  • Momma Fleming

5 2.81%
  • Momma Chin

33 18.54%
  • Momma Lipinski

15 8.43%
  • Momma Harding

2 1.12%
  • Momma Bobek

5 2.81%
  • La Mère Joubert

22 12.36%
  • Momma Leung

16 8.99%
  • Momma Zhang

7 3.93%
  • Momma Kim

56 31.46%
  • Other (please identify)

16 8.99%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    He gave the Kwans $10,000 when Michelle was 13. As generous as that was and as fortunate as the Kwans were to receive such a gift, it's not as if he funded them for years.
    Still, that is waaaaayyy cool. Never knew Steinbrenner was a FS fan.

vCash
    There's a mom at my rink who's the ultimate skating mom! The daughter is a national level skater. The mom coaches her when she doesn't have a lesson with her coach. The poor girl is always crying and doesn't seem to want to skate when her mom is telling her what to do. This has been going on for years and she has slapped her before. Back to the thread, I say Bonaly and Harding.
    Last edited by Iluvid; 08-31-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I love these reference.

Sport: Heir to Henie
    Monday, Mar. 15, 1937
    (Cecelia Colledge)

Sport: Mothers & Daughters
    Monday, Mar. 26, 1956, Time Magazine
    (Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, and Ronnie Roberts)

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    BTW, Cecelia's mother easily passes Pat Lipinski since she did it first in an era when it was not so easy (because their were fewer facilities and her position in proper society would indicated that she do otherwise), including moving to a different country for coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Her sister currently works as a nurse in a hospital near home.

I think the media owes Yuna's mom a sincere apology for their witch hunting, or should I say skating mom hunting on her and bringing a bunch of witch hunters out of these people here. Sensationalism at its lowest.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post
    I think the media owes Yuna's mom a sincere apology for their witch hunting, or should I say skating mom hunting on her and bringing a bunch of witch hunters out of these people here. Sensationalism at its lowest.
    The media has never apologized for demonizing other skaters and their families so I highly doubt they're going to start apologizing to Yu-Na and her family. The media is in the business of digging up dirt and that's something that public figures and their families just have to deal with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    What happened?
    There were legal and Social Service people involved.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Lordie, what a list of Nasty Nasties (while caring for their darlings, of course)! Having witnessed Mama Chin's antics up-close-and-personal in the early 1980s, I crown her my Dragon Lady of All Time. Yu-Na's mom is just the best-known of the moment.

vCash
    I keep reading about Mama Chin but don't know the story. What did she do?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I don't get why some people like to discuss skaters' private lives let along their family's. Don't you think they deserve privacy?
    All I know is Yuna's sister has a stable professional career as a nurse and is a beautiful young lady on her own. If I were her parent, I'd be darn proud.
    They are public figures and have chosen a public profession, so attention comes along with that. And Team Yu-Na has exploited that public status for $$$$ with endorsements, etc., so to complain about them "deserving" privacy seems a little

And FWIW, even in gossipy forums like this one, we don't always hear everything about what the worst skating moms do. If we did, I suspect people would be even more
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

Cheering for V/M, D/W, Shibus, I/K, P/I, Miki, Yu Na, Akiko, Mirai, Lambiel, Patrick, Oda, Kozuka, S/Z, S/S and P/T!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I keep reading about Mama Chin but don't know the story. What did she do?
    http://auntjoycesicecreamstand.blogs...an-wonder.html

I say Mama Chin. Mama Kim seems positively mild by comparison.

I'm really curious about Michelle Cho as well. What happened to her to have legal and social workers on her case?!

vCash
    Mama Chin - just incredibly pushy, non-smiling, making her daughter cry a lot, etc, etc. For ex., in Nationals competitions of the 80s fans were able to take the same buses between the hotel and arenas, where many of us would see her be harsh with the daughter OR say catty things to family of Tiffany's close competitors, such as Debi Thomas' mom and brother. [Chin & Thomas went up-the-ranks in tandem and both were from California, so it went way back I believe.] later (85 or 86) CBS captured Mama Chin trying to tell Tiffany what to say during a fluff interview, with mama trying to tell the cameraman to stop filming (something like that). It only showed a sliver of the character that folks saw in hotel lobbies, buses and such. That said, I have no doubt that the mother did everything for the love of the Tiffany but it made many people so uncomfortable.

At Pittsburgh Nationals in 83, I remember one time when we saw Mama Chin get on the bus right before the doors closed, a famous competitor sitting behind me & my mom said in earshot of several persons, "Hey, we just hit the jackpot!"...and half of the bus roared with laughter. Ah, memories of Nationals long gone!
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 08-31-2010 at 06:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mishieru07 View Post
    http://auntjoycesicecreamstand.blogs...an-wonder.html

I say Mama Chin. Mama Kim seems positively mild by comparison.

I'm really curious about Michelle Cho as well. What happened to her to have legal and social workers on her case?!
    thanks for the link. I read the comments below the fluff piece and Mama Cho is mentioned in one of them. Horrifying, if true.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I also vote Chin. Any mom who ignores the extent of her child's injuries, then makes up her own diagnosis, is in parent-from-hell hall of fame in my eyes.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    CBS captured Mama Chin trying to tell Tiffany what to say during a fluff interview, with mama trying to tell the cameraman to stop filming (something like that).
    Tiffany was talking about why she'd done badly in a certain competition and Mama Chin interrupted to tell Tiffany she was full of shit and yell at her for having been unprepared for the competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by amaro View Post
    Sometimes they quote it as it is but really rare.

The Japan Times, Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2009

Orser believes, contrary to the image of some skating mothers, that Yu Na's mom has been a real asset.

"Her mom has been a tremendous help, too," he revealed. "A lot of these moms get a bad rap, but not Yu Na's mom. She really is very accurate. We have our meetings every week or every two weeks, when we discuss where we are going and what we need to do.

"We discuss what the other competitors are doing and what they are skating to and what they are wearing. The mother is very competitive. We usually agree when it's time to do double run-throughs or spend more time on spins. The mother has a good eye."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    They are public figures and have chosen a public profession, so attention comes along with that. And Team Yu-Na has exploited that public status for $$$$ with endorsements, etc., so to complain about them "deserving" privacy seems a little
    Since when did Yuna's sister become a 'public figure'? She has carried on with her own life and managed to stay out of spot light. I wish the same could be said about a sister who constantly appears on her sister's show despite not being able to land a proper double toe to save her life.

And FWIW, even in gossipy forums like this one, we don't always hear everything about what the worst skating moms do. If we did, I suspect people would be even more
    ITA with you on this one.
    I've even heard rumors that say some skating parents have been involved in show business of the sleaziest kind. I won't share the details now and I hope discussing non-skating life of skaters' family does not escalate to the extent where I just might decide to do so.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    BTW, Cecelia's mother easily passes Pat Lipinski since she did it first in an era when it was not so easy (because their were fewer facilities and her position in proper society would indicated that she do otherwise), including moving to a different country for coaching.
    Try the following link to see Cecilia's Mother bigging her up to the press. I do love this clip

http://www.movietone.com/N_search.cf...ultsPerPage=30

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Still, that is waaaaayyy cool. Never knew Steinbrenner was a FS fan.
    I think he also sponsored Nicole Bobek at one point.

vCash
    Keep those votes coming, folks!

Figure Skating Parents Tribute

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast