Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

What Do You Do Off-Ice?

What sorts of workouts and etc. do you do when you're not on-ice? What do you do to benefit your skating?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Step aerobics, plyometrics, weight lifting, Pilates. I do all this at home, in my living room, no gym membership needed.

I'd say the weights and the plyometrics help my skating the most. Not that I've been skating very much lately.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I spend a lot of time at the gym. Cardio 4-5 times per week (elliptical, bike, treadmill, stairmaster), strength training 1-2 times per week, core work 2-3 times per week. I find that working on squats, lunges (walking, lateral and reverse) and the core and cardio have the greatest impact on my skating.

vCash
    Too much eating and sleeping and lazing around. . .

Seriously. I'm trying to incorporate some more regular weightlifting, cardio, and stretching, but I tend to be inconsistent about this, in spite of all the benefits of these activities. Stretching tends to be easier becuase I can just do it while I'm watching 1/2 hr of tv every day, whereas I have to plan more to go to the gym and lift weights. All three most definitely help my skating. I have also been told to "go to youtube and type in 'P90X abripper.'"

vCash
    I have a regular routine I do in front of the TV, too. It's a great time to stretch and for me, to do certain strengthening exercises for my ankles, back and abs. I mean, otherwise, I'd just be sitting on the couch and watching, so why not get down on the floor and stretch and watch?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I heard from several people that horseback riding is a great off-ice exercise and I would also recommend it myself.
    Horse-back riding really works your core and your balance and your upper body posture.

Other than that I just started doing ballett and hope that it will help me and I also got a lot of tips from my last skate camp about off-ice jumps and exercises that I will try to incorporate when I go running.
    They are mostly plymetric exercises but more targeted for skating like jumping loops etc.

vCash
    I try to supplement skating with some type of off-ice cardio, like roller blading or cycling, depending on the weather and my mood. If the weather isn't cooperating, I drag myself to the gym and either take a spinning or step class, or hop on the elliptical, but seriously, the elliptical is definitely a last resort cause I kind of hate it. I would say I do this supplementary exercise 3 - 4 hours/week. I skate about from 5 hours/week.

I also try to lift weights three times/week, but that third time doesn't always happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I heard from several people that horseback riding is a great off-ice exercise and I would also recommend it myself.
    Horse-back riding really works your core and your balance and your upper body posture.
    I'm a horseback rider that supplements with skating

they sports complements each other very well, in terms of balance and body awareness

vCash
    I ballroom dance twice per week... although sadly, it's so expensive that I may have to take a financial vacation from it for the fall. I'm trying to come up with new, cheap things to do.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Basic yoga, Pilates, Fluidity , Leg Magic . All at home, once a week for each. Sometimes I do one of the old Firm videos if I have the energy.

vCash
    My turn!!!! Leg-Lifts,Push-Ups,Sit-Ups,Sit-Toe-Touches. You may read my Trainning Reports in Skatingforums under Rinkside.

vCash
    At the moment, I'm hitting the gym twice a week - I can't really go more than that because the gym is at university (the idea of going to the gym between classes was good) and university is 30+km away and now the semester is out it means a special trip.

The trainer at the gym got all excited because he'd never had to come up with a plan for a figure skater before. He's got me doing tons of squats, lunges, crunches etc.

I stretch (or try to, I'm getting a bit bad at doing it) every night, splits and turnout-focused mainly. (I have horrible turnout and I am learning spreadeagles and Ina Bauers. Yeah. I think we can all see how badly that's going. I'm also about as flexible as a brick.)

I'd love to take ballet, but unfortunately with skating and rallying I can't justify the extra money for lessons and shoes.

vCash
    TRX suspension training (I LOOOOOVE it) once a week in my fitness center (55 mintues) and 3-4 times a week at home (~30 minutes), working on more specific muscle group + flexibility (with and without the help of the TRX sangles) + cardio-training 45minutes on a bicycle 5times a week, at my fitness center. (my fitness center is in the building next to mine and is open 7 days a week, from 04.00 am until 00.00 so it's not such a big deal to find time to train !)

vCash
    I did end up having to drop ballroom dance. It's unbelievably expensive in my region. Really shockingly expensive, and god forbid you want to actually compete. I don't know how people do it. I though skating was pricey - it's nothing compared to ballroom.

So I've joined the Y. Twice per week, I do strength training. I also stretch daily. I'd like to fit in some off-ice aerobic stuff, but I only have two, 45-minute spaces available in my schedule each week right now, and that I'm using for strength training.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Ouch.

My friend is a gymnast. I just got back home from dinner at her place which involved being taught about twenty new ways to inflict suffering on myself.

vCash
    I do nothing at the moment apart from skate once or twice a week because my motivation is really low due to a number of factors. I need to improve it. Will try to go out at lunchtime for a walk.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I keep saying that I'll go out at lunchtime for a walk, but I usually work through it. Maybe we can be virtual walk-buddies. I'll promise to go out for a walk on Tuesday's lunch if you do.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I keep saying that I'll go out at lunchtime for a walk, but I usually work through it. Maybe we can be virtual walk-buddies. I'll promise to go out for a walk on Tuesday's lunch if you do.
    Hey babe you are on!!! I was going to try and go for a walk today (it is Monday here).

Maybe we need to set up the FSU Walking Challenge.

ETA - I went for a walk at lunchtime. Goal achieved.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 05-30-2011 at 04:53 AM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I do cardio the gym and pilates. As well as stretching every day.

Its a hassle, but also necessary.

vCash
    GarrAarghHrumph - I did my walk today. Have you done yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast