Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    Moving the discussion over from jgp Austria
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    As much as I would like for this to happen, I doubt it will. USFSA has one agenda and one agenda only, to qualify as many skaters for the JGPF as possible. If they were to assign F. Zhang, there is no way she could mathematically qualify with one event. Plus, she was already assigned to Nebelhorn for pairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I know it probably won't happen but USFSA folks read FSU as well so might as well toss my 2 cents in. After all, they do want to qualify girls who will likely medal at the jgpf and not just place 6th-8th (otherwise what's the point?) The girls who UR could use some training time, imho

If not Zhang then Lam then.
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Let's not get carried away. We'll see what happens. Vanessa Lam had made a great case for herself so far. Ashley Cain is also very strong. Lots of tough choices, but IMO V. Lam should take priority at this point.
    Last edited by jlai; 09-18-2010 at 10:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Moved over from the Graz JGP thread (Gao won silver and Lindsay Davis placed 12th today):

I really hope USFS will wait for Kiri Baga's and Angela Wang's results in Japan next week before assigning a second US lady to Germany and the last 2 spots in CZE.
    Me too! As I think both of them have strong chances to do well in Japan. I would also like to see Vanessa Lam get an assignment.

I'd like to see this:
    Japan: Baga (1) and Wang (1) [both officially assigned]
    Sheffield: Gong (2) and Cesario (2) [official, right?]
    Germany: Gao (2) and TBA
    Ostrava: Siraj (2) and TBA
    [dunno if Siraj and Gao are assigned where, but assuming both will get an assignment, and likely not together]

This is where it gets interesting. If both Baga and Wang finish in the top 4, then it's a no brainier to give them the two remaining spots. But if one doesn't do well...then I'd give it to Lam. And if neither does...I'd like to see them assign Lam to Germany, and then, if she medals send her to Ostrava. :p I don't know if that's possible, though, logistically speaking.

Title-less
    vCash
    According to USFSA's page
    Sheffield: Gong (2) and Siraj

vCash
    Here's how it stands right now:

Japan: Baga and Wang [both officially assigned]
    Sheffield: Gong (silver in ROU) and Siraj (silver in FRA) [official]
    Germany: Gao (silver in AUT) and TBA [not official yet]
    Ostrava: TBA and TBA

vCash
    http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

According to this page, Gong and Siraj are scheduled for Sheffield.

vCash
    So, it could play out in various ways.

(A) Baga and Wang both skate excellent. One is assigned to GER, one to CZE. One spot left.
    (B) Only one of 2 skates well. The higher placed skater is assigned to GER or CZE. Two spots left.
    (C) Neither skates well. Various options..

In any case, there is still room left for either Jiang or Cesario to be reassigned or for Zhang or Lam to be initially assigned.

ETA: 1,000th post.

vCash
    Ahhh duh, the ISU page still says Cesario for Sheffield

In any case, I'm more inclined to give Lam an initial assignment rather than giving Jiang and Cesario a second, since they are unlikely to make the final, IMO - due to easier jump content and placement (Jiang) and relatively low placement and underrotations (Cesario).

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Ahhh duh, the ISU page still says Cesario :doh:
    We are not Russians so we are not allowed TBA, so we needed to put a name in.

vCash
    With so many strong Russians and a few good JPN ladies as well, the focus could shift to getting more of our ladies experienced...since Gao, Siraj, Wang, and Gong are the only ones with a realistic shot of making the final...and maybe Baga if she's in top form, but I'm not really expecting it. Another year, Cesario and Jiang with 4th and 5th place would still be contendors, but not really this year. We'll see what happens. Vanessa Lam made a great case for herself so far. Ashley Cain is also very strong. Lots of tough choices, but IMO V. Lam should take priority at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    With so many strong Russians and a few good JPN ladies as well, the focus could shift to getting more of our ladies experienced...since Gao, Siraj, Wang, and Gong are the only ones with a realistic shot of making the final...and maybe Baga if she's in top form, but I'm not really expecting it. Another year, Cesario and Jiang with 4th and 5th place would still be contendors, but not really this year. We'll see what happens. Vanessa Lam made a great case for herself so far. Ashley Cain is also very strong. Lots of tough choices, but IMO V. Lam should take priority at this point.
    The field for Japan is not looking that strong, especially if Ovcharova doesn't end up attending, Kiri and Angela should still be able to place pretty well (top 5 at least) without skating that great. There are some good skaters in the lineup but none that have posted up that big numbers as of yet.

vCash
    Also does anyone know what combo Baga is planning for her SP? I know last year she did 3s-2t, so maybe she is doing that again or trying for 3f-2t? I personally think 3t-3t could be a smart choice for her where her 3t is a very strong and consistent jump for her while the 3f and 3s aren't as much, she looks like she could easily pull off a 3t-3t.

vCash
    I think it would be smart for Kiri Baga to focus on skating a clean SP in Japan next week even if it means doing an "easier" combo that's consistent, especially since the 3Lo is a new jump in competition for her this season. Her latest tweet today:
    I'm leaving for Japan on Tuesday! I'm working new technique on my jumps this year and I want to show everyone in Japan how they've improved.
    ETA: I've cross-posted the above in the Japan JGP thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...45#post2879445

Let's try and keep the specific JGP pre-event discussion there instead of here.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-19-2010 at 12:13 AM.

vCash
    Felicia Zhang officially has received her first JGP assignment in singles -- Dresden, Germany with Christina Gao. That means there are now 2 spots left in Ostrava, CZE.

Title-less
    vCash
    Felicia Zhang officially has received her first JGP assignment in singles -- Dresden, Germany with Christina Gao.

vCash
    Felicia Zhang officially has received her first JGP assignment in singles -- Dresden, Germany with Christina Gao. That means there are now 2 spots left in Ostrava, CZE.
    So basically who gets those 2 spots is down to Cesario, Jiang, Baga, and Wang, depending on how the latter 2 do this week. Or might they send someone else entirely?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    So basically who gets those 2 spots is down to Cesario, Jiang, Baga, and Wang, depending on how the latter 2 do this week.
    Yup.

Or might they send someone else entirely?
    Vanessa Lam (J8) and Ashley Cain (N2) are the only other alternates for CZE who have not gone out yet.

vCash
    Yup.

Vanessa Lam (J8) and Ashley Cain (N2) are the only other alternates for CZE who have not gone out yet.
    Hard to tell what USFS will do. I guess if one girl comes in 4th, and the other lower, they'll likely send the two 4th place girls to CZE, or maybe send Nina instead of Samantha where her score was a lot higher. But I tend to think if either/both Baga and Wang medal in Japan then they will be given spots in CZE. Or I guess the USFS could just send Vanessa and Ashley out if Baga and Wang don't medal, and therefore only give 2nd events to girls who medaled at their first events....so many possibilities

vCash
    *Sigh* I was kind of hoping Lam would get the nod over Zhang. Felicia hasn't done a full (singles) competition all summer, and Lam has been incredibly impressive so far. Oh well.

vCash
    Kind of surprised to see Zhang assigned to Dresden, especially since she was already assigned to Skate America with Taylor. Today must be a very good day for her!

The event in Japan will be crucial for Baga and Wang. If they both medal, I think they will both be assigned to the Czech Republic.

Question: Does the USFSA need to make their assignments before Zhang competes in Germany? It's possible that she could do better than one of Baga and Wang.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Kind of surprised to see Zhang assigned to Dresden, especially since she was already assigned to Skate America with Taylor. Today must be a very good day for her!
    USFS isn't known to "dump" single skaters who also do pairs. Since she got "skipped over" for JGP Japan I fully expected USFS to "make it up" to her.

Zhang has skated her short and her long at two events and her results there plus her nationals ranking are solid enough to warrant a spot. Besides, we have seen two girls with great club comp scores who got credited with only one triple at their jgp, so the summer event scores may not tell all.

ETA: She's lucky with her SA assignment and her bye though.
    Last edited by jlai; 09-21-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast