Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    I've heard Crater Lake is fantastic to see. I've driven past the turnoff to go there a few times now. I'm determined that on our next road trip to Oregon, we *will* go there! (No, my trip to SA in Portland isn't a 'road trip'...)
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Have a latte for me .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I've heard Crater Lake is fantastic to see. I've driven past the turnoff to go there a few times now. I'm determined that on our next road trip to Oregon, we *will* go there! (No, my trip to SA in Portland isn't a 'road trip'...)
    I was actually thinking about trying to visit before SA, but there's a definite chance the Rim Road won't be open then. I'll have to make do with the Crater Lake webcam until I can actually get there.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    WindSpirit - Because something is said twice does not make it less true. No, no one said anything about my family, but there were several posts that were plainly jeering, and IMO, immature, and that is what I responded to. It was reactive and in defense of the Parlor. I've had my say about my ill fated first post here, and I don't want to argue. If your mind is made up, that's that. Not my problem.

Several FSU members have taken umbrage at the use of the word "rules." I don't see why it is such a big deal. It wasn't a statement as in "these are the rules, or else!" It was a request to abide by some simple, in quotes "rules." The quotes themselves implying the non-authoritarian nature of the request. I don't see how this is rude or threatening. Furthermore, Patsy, not being an FSU habitué could not have predicted how it might affect people here. The whole atmosphere of the Parlor is welcoming, so why would Patsy want to start by offending? Clearly, she left that to me .

Well folks, I am really and truly done with this whole business. I'll wait and see if the Parlor here turns out to be the cozy, comfy place I know it can be. All it takes is for people to want it to be that. You'll be missing out on a huge resource if you don't go for it.

vCash
    I never knew the history of Patsy's Parlor, so thanks for the explanation.

I guess my first parlor post is that I'm recovering a little more slowly than expected from a double from a double ear infection. Yuck!!

I'm looking forward to the new season. Maybe, I'll actually post instead of just lurking this year.

vCash
    There have been a constant stream of posters of cats available free to a good home. I was thinking it is about time I perhaps extend my household to include one of these little darlings. I am just worried about whether or not I will be a good pet parent. LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Well folks, I am really and truly done with this whole business. I'll wait and see if the Parlor here turns out to be the cozy, comfy place I know it can be. All it takes is for people to want it to be that. You'll be missing out on a huge resource if you don't go for it.
    You know, it's nice that you admitted (repeatedly) to perhaps overreacting. However, every time you apologize, you also make a point to make sure everyone knows you think that the people on FSU are the problem and that we couldn't possibly be well adjusted enough to enjoy the "coziness" of the parlor. In case you haven't noticed, quite a few people have been engaging in the polite discussion Patsy is trying to achieve. The person who is in fact detracting from the coziness of the parlor is you. So, how about you adhere to the "rules" of the parlor since they are just a suggestion and totally non-threatening and quit trying to point out how no one else could possibly appreciate Patsy and what she is trying accomplish.
    Last edited by Allen; 08-30-2010 at 04:53 AM.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    There have been a constant stream of posters of cats available free to a good home. I was thinking it is about time I perhaps extend my household to include one of these little darlings. I am just worried about whether or not I will be a good pet parent. LOL
    Do it! ToToToToT could use some cat talk.

vCash
    If you are worried about whether you will be a good pet owner or not, that probably means you will be

My parents have a cat that just arrived on day and refused to leave, but they really love it.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If you are worried about whether you will be a good pet owner or not, that probably means you will be
    I totally agree.

When I adopted a cat from the local shelter, I worked a lot of hours and there would be some days when I wouldn't be home until late. So I looked for an older cat who wasn't as eager to play and was in heaven just sleeping on a windowsill in the sun. She was probably the sweetest cat I ever had. I'm sure there's a cat out there that would be just right for you.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    You know, it's nice that you admitted (repeatedly) to perhaps overreacting. However, every time you apologize, you also make a point to make sure everyone knows you think that the people on FSU are the problem and that we couldn't possibly be well adjusted enough to enjoy the "coziness" of the parlor. In case you haven't noticed, quite a few people have been engaging in the polite discussion Patsy is trying to achieve. The person who is in fact detracting from the coziness of the parlor is you. So, how about you adhere to the "rules" of the parlor since they are just a suggestion and totally non-threatening and quit trying to point out how no one else could possibly appreciate Patsy and what she is trying accomplish.
    Good point. You got it.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    WindSpirit - Because something is said twice does not make it less true.
    I didn't mean to say it was not true. What I meant was that used once, it might be considered an explanation. Used more than that, it becomes an excuse. Ultimately, we are always responsible for our own behavior, bad day or not.

No, no one said anything about my family, but there were several posts that were plainly jeering, and IMO, immature, and that is what I responded to.
    You thought the posts were bad yet you topped them all. If you think something's bad, why do it?

It was reactive and in defense of the Parlor. I've had my say about my ill fated first post here, and I don't want to argue. If your mind is made up, that's that. Not my problem.
    Is anything your problem?

I clearly said in my post that my mind is not made up. If the Parlor is really so good as everybody tries to convince us, it will prove itself. No need to defend it. But the ball is in your park, or should I say, in your Parlor? In other words, put the money where your mouth is.

Furthermore, Patsy, not being an FSU habitué could not have predicted how it might affect people here.
    Fair enough. But if you don't take time to find out what's accepted what's not at some place, you're risking getting some negative feedback. That happened and I explained why. Having said that, I think Patsy is much more experienced and savvy than you think. I saw her post at SF asking you guys to get acquainted with our rules because she didn't want to step on anyone's toes and I appreciate that. That showed a concern and a basic respect for your hosts. That's something we've been missing from some of you.

If we don't go for it? See, this is the attitude I've been talking about. If you come here and don't even bother to find out how we do things here, more than that, you don't care how we do things here because you think you bring something superior and if we don't take it it's our loss, you're going to end up looking like a stuck-up git. A far cry from a civil, well-mannered individual who attends tea parties, always uses coasters and is trying to change the world by leading by example. As Mahatma Gandhi said, be the change you want to see in the world.

vCash
    Good point. You got it.
    I'm not trying to pick on you, but even this post is arrogant. The implication is: I didn't think you had the wits or the couth to "get it" but to my surprise, you actually did.

Maybe it would be a good idea to lurk a little bit before you do any more damage...maybe we will turn out to be intelligent enough & nice enough to meet your standards.

vCash
    Hi y'all,

Long time, no see. Weekend was: yardwork, exchanged some clothes, visited MIL, laundry, house "stuff", went to nearby wonderful orchard for TWO lug boxes of fruit (we are so lucky to have this stuff close by).

Visited MIL again, house is tense. She is failing rapidly. I just laid on the bed holding her hand. Thank god she's comfortable. DH and sibs are sleep-deprived, working together, making pre-funeral arrangements.

Back to work tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    Cute video!!!

Hi, fellow Parlorites and newbies! I'm jazzpants!!! I have two jobs. My real job is a software engineer and I moonlight as a competitive adult skater! I have competed at two Adults National so far. Around this time last year I was VERY unemployed from my paying job for what ended up to be a 8 month employment period, so currently I am not competing. In fact, since June 2009, I had not rejoined my home rink's skating club!!! I finally found a job in October 2009 so I'm now REALLY busy at my job now b/c it's expected of me to concentrate on my work... and b/c I really NEED this job to pay my bills given the CRAPPY economy we're STILL in.

Fast forward to today: I am happy to say that I'm finally stable enough at my real job where I can start thinking about competing. My boss is giving me a LOT more challenges to me and my team lead thinks I'm "wonderful!" (THANKFULLY, he and I think a lot alike regarding work stuff and how to put stuff together...)

I spent this weekend at my rink's local competition watching everyone that I wanted to watch and I'm EXTREMELY EXHAUSTED now!!! But it remind me of all the camaraderie of my fellow competitors and how I missed being part of that creative process of putting together a program and challenging myself to do what I didn't think I could do. (Okay, I miss the glamor part too!!! ) Sooooo...in a moment of SHEER MADNESS (and a bit of sentimental feeling) this afternoon, I filled out forms to REJOIN my skating club and trying to get back into competing again. I figured putting my money in on this would motivate me to work harder on my skating. By June of 2011, I will find out whether my guts and heart did the right thing in making me sign up... or whether it's money I've thrown away.

And for those who know what I'm working on... no, I am NOT abandoning the Adult Silver Moves! I will continue to work on that! We're ADDING more stuff for me to do actually...

Nothing else interesting for me to contribute to the Parlorites... well except that my hubby's b-day was this past Saturday... And "I don't like Mondays!!!" (except for every other week when I train with my tertiary coach who was an Olympic skater guy in his time...)

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Welcome (back, it looks like) jazzpants! Congrats on getting to a place where you can rejoin your skating club
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    ((jpeach & family))

jazzpants- good luck with competing & with your silver moves (whatever that is). But however you do, it will not be money thrown away. You'll get to have the fun of skating & all that goes into competing.

vCash

I am totally hoping to get a pet next year. In fact I'd love a little dog, but I'm worried I'll be a busy student and my flat will be too small. Going for walks isn't the problem (I go for one nearly everyday anyway).
    But I don't know how much I'll be around...

Maybe a cat would be more appropriate.

vCash
    I thought about getting a pet too... but as it is right now, I don't even have energy to take care of a PLANT, never mind a pet or a child.

vCash
    WOW, long time since I posted in PP because once I found myself here, I wasn't interested in posting anywhere else - I lurves the flavours of FSU.

Now, as for life here, it's getting a bit difficult on my heart strings.

A bit of background. I've taught at a local college for over 20 years and then suddenly, they had no work for me so now I stay at home - retired from a job where I get paid. Just over 18 years ago, I gave birth to twins - one of each gender but both red-headed (my favourite hair colour). Both of my children applied for university last fall and were accepted. Son want to study computer software engineering with a minor in English and was set (so we thought) to head off to Guelph - about a 3 hour drive. Daughter was also accepted at Guelph and I thought "wow, wouldn't that be wonderful if she went there too". Alas, these plans did not come to fruitition.

Last summer, daughter went to the east coast for a camp and came back just loving it out there. In her mind, she was likely going to head east for school. Only problem, it's about 3 days drive from where I live and over one time zone. I'm feeling saddened that she is going so far away. Yes, I understand fully that we raise our children so that they will leave home some day but darn it, did she have to pick to go so far on her first leave? Oh yeah, she leaves this coming Friday so I'm likely to be kind of weepy for the next week. Her twin brother is also feeling her coming loss and quite deeply - something to do with that twin bond, no doubt.

However, I will have my son home. Although his marks were good enough to get into the program, they weren't enough to keep the scholarship so he will stay home and upgrade his marks. It's probably a good thing in the long run for him on a number of levels. He is a "young" 18 - meaning his birthday comes in the latter half of the year and boys just don't mature as early and quickly as girls - at least not as a general rule of thumb. Also, with how difficult he is finding it with his sister leaving, if he were to leave and be on his own too - well let's just say that I'think he'd be overwhelmed and likely to find university more troublesome than most. Anyway, I am thankful he will be here with me - we can get through this emotionally charged time together.

Oh, my husband? Yeah, he seems pretty cool with daughter leaving but then his family seems to have wanderlust in their blood. He spent 18 months touring Europe and Israel before he returned here to Canada (born in Canada, parents moved to New Zealand when he was 7, then come back to Canada around the age of 28 or so). I am sure he will miss our daughter but I somehow think he won't be shedding quite as many tears as I - but I guess that's to be expected.

One last thing. When I mentioned I don't paid for my work it's because I volunteer with our junior B & C hockey clubs and am on the executive of our J B lacrosse club. It keeps me hopping ...

Since I'm feeling kind of blue, may I bring my puppy in with me. He's pretty well behaved but has no experience with kittens/cats. He's like my shadow and wants to be where I am - even when I leave the house.
    Crazy about sports!

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast