Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Good Sunday morning. For those looking for more information, here's what the Parlor is all about--quoting from my introductory paragraphs:

"We love to have folks post about their life--trivia, minutiae, whatever. Doesn't have to be earth shaking! However, we can "do* earth-shaking if we need to . . . never underestimate the power of Parlor Good Thoughts, Prayers, White Light, and Mojo!"

This is the origin of the Parlor--"The Parlor grew out of a thread I posted on the old figure skating world (later became F$W) the end of July 2001 when I had to be on my back 24/7 for 3 weeks. I called it "help keep Patsy sane" and asked that folks just post what was happening in their day, how it was going at work, come in and rant, ask for help, etc. Once I was back on my feet and out in the world again, folks said they had enjoyed having a mythical place to come to, thus "The Parlor".

The requests about capitalization, blank spaces between paragraphs, etc. is in response to promoting ease of reading for everyone. Hard as it is to imagine (or not all that hard!!) I'm just about twice the age of many of the posters--and age takes a toll on the eyes--trust me on this one.

We have always welcomes Parlorites from around the world and value what they have always brought to the table.

Sharpie--just as Parlor treats have no calories, I'm sure that Parlor doggies wouldn't dream of chasing the Parlor kitties!

Since we denizens of skatingforums have NO idea when it's going to go *poof*, haste seemed like a good approach.

I'd be more than happy to answer any other questions. We're a friendly group, sharing the minutiae of life and supporting those who need support. We currently have one Parlorite actively in chemo, one coming down the homestretch (no pun intended) of mastectomy/chemo/reconstructive surgery, we have parents of teens and all the challenges that involves, I have been known once in a while (*Patsy waits politely for Parlorites to stop laughing their asses off*) to vent in the Parlor so I don't slap certain in-laws silly, we're cheering one Parlorite as she begins an exciting new job, and supporting several Parlorites as they decide to go back to school.

So--I hope that provides some insight to the question "what is the Parlor and what's it doing here?" We're not "talking skating", we're "talking the rest of life" so to speak. (In Hawaii this is called "talk story" which I think is a marvelous expression).

We're no threat to anyone, truly.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1lutz2klutz View Post
    The tributes noted at the end of the introduction relate to previous members who have died, and who, even as only virtual friends, we still mourn deeply.
    We miss blades, too. Our Olympic forum was dedicated to him this year.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Well, this is pretty much what I figured might happen over here. Some people must never have experienced the warmth and security of a loving home, because that is what the Parlor IS. I guess if you haven't ever experienced it, you might be scared of it. You might be scared of other people sharing genuine feelings with you and maybe even evoking genuine feelings in you, yourself. All of the cr@p being flung at the Parlor now is just scared little kids trying to scare us away. I have a suggestion for you scared little kids. Grow up and come in out of the cold, or take your arrested development to any of the other 68K threads as suggested by Sharpie. We are only asking for one lousy thread on which to be civil and respectful of each other. Fling your poop anywhere else, please.

My sincerest apologies to Patsy for my harsh words.
    I have 2 sisters & 3 brothers. My parents were married for 60 yrs & they taught us both by example & by taking us to church. Both are gone now but all 6 of us siblings are close friends & we still make an effort to not lose touch with each other. I deeply resent a newbie to this board telling me that I have "never experienced the warmth and security of a loving home".

If this post is an example of what the Parlor (Parlour) is all about, no thank you very much. I guess you only plan to be "civil & respectful" to other SF members. That is not going to fly here. You may be more comfortable somewhere else. We may be too crude for you.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Thanks for the explanation Patsy. The Secret Sources threads are very similar, although I understand not everyone wants to or can subscribe. Hope your parlorites will continue to post and explore FSU.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

having a nice day
    vCash
    LOL I tried, I tried, I tried to resist but the minute someone sez "never experienced the warmth and security of a loving home" all I can think of is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq28qCklEHc

vCash
    My how time flies. Those actors are all in their late 60s and early 70s now. The age of the seniors I work with.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'll start by introducing myself. I'm a physical therapist currently pursuing a second doctorate in health education. I started skating in my late 30s and continued for 10 years. Don't skate any more but continue to try to kill myself regularly with cycling, kayaking and other sports. Just came back from vacation where I broke my ankle walking on a level sidewalk...just walking
    Welcome!

Ouch about the ankle - 2 months ago I took a major header on my way to work - just walking on a sidewalk - and sprained my ankle badly. When I first landed I was convinced I'd broken it. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    LOL I tried, I tried, I tried to resist but the minute someone sez "never experienced the warmth and security of a loving home" all I can think of is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq28qCklEHc
    God, I miss the days of film choreography that you could actually see (that didn't rely on an overabundance of quick-shot editing to seem cool)
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I *think* that there are a couple of things happening here. I will state my opinions and they are JMO - then I shut up for the day, as I am having an Alexander Terrible No Good Day - and it isn't even Wednesday and I didn't wake up with gum in my hair. I delete this post because I am really have that Alexander day.

Welcome to all.
    Last edited by numbers123; 08-29-2010 at 06:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    God, I miss the days of film choreography that you could actually see (that didn't rely on an overabundance of quick-shot editing to seem cool)
    Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjmpI8gktOY
    It's Ann Miller from Small Town Girl. I just love that routine and from what I understand she did it from start to finish in one shot.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    It's Ann Miller from Small Town Girl. I just love that routine and from what I understand she did it from start to finish in one shot.
    Love it! That set
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I want that figure.

vCash

I'll start by introducing myself. I'm a physical therapist currently pursuing a second doctorate in health education. I started skating in my late 30s and continued for 10 years. Don't skate any more but continue to try to kill myself regularly with cycling, kayaking and other sports. Just came back from vacation where I broke my ankle walking on a level sidewalk...just walking

Welcome! Your user name makes me smile.

I hope you have a speedy recovery from your broken ankle. I have one that has been broken three times. A hairline fracture when I was 14, then I broke both ankles and my left wrist in a car wreck when I was 19, and finally I re-broke the old fracture from the car wreck when I was 28. Needless to say, you have my deepest sympathies with your broken ankle.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Well, this is pretty much what I figured might happen over here. Some people must never have experienced the warmth and security of a loving home, because that is what the Parlor IS. I guess if you haven't ever experienced it, you might be scared of it. You might be scared of other people sharing genuine feelings with you and maybe even evoking genuine feelings in you, yourself. All of the cr@p being flung at the Parlor now is just scared little kids trying to scare us away. I have a suggestion for you scared little kids. Grow up and come in out of the cold, or take your arrested development to any of the other 68K threads as suggested by Sharpie. We are only asking for one lousy thread on which to be civil and respectful of each other. Fling your poop anywhere else, please.

My sincerest apologies to Patsy for my harsh words.
    Bless your heart.

Just remember that there isn't a second chance to make a first impression.

You have a nice day now.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Well, I honestly thought I was giving back in kind. Looks like I misunderstood after all, but like I probably said here earlier (or somewhere around here,) I'm not too focussed lately. I'll add to "there isn't a second chance to make a first impression" - "never miss an opportunity to say nothing." That's from a short story I read, and I wish I could remember the author to give credit. So, it seems I've failed at both, not for the first time . It may be too late to make a first impression, but I bet there are lots of good folks here who are able to change their minds upon evidence presented. So here's the evidence. I made a mistake and I'm not too proud to admit it. I'm not turning and running or hiding in shame. I'm going to participate just as if I hadn't put my foot in it, and we'll see where that goes. Life is an adventure, and I like an open road.

vCash
    ...Just came back from vacation where I broke my ankle walking on a level sidewalk...just walking
    Isn't that always how stuff like that most often happens? Did yours twist out from under you or something. Ouch!

Whenever I turn my ankle, it's always my stupid shoes... or a crack in the pavement, or a slightly less level spot. Only a couple of times has it been something major that caused it. It's normally much more mundane.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    We had already toured all over San Francisco, up and down the hills, on and off the cable cars, biked all over Napa (after tasting all kinds of great wine), climbed around in caverns and hiked in Crater Lake national park. Then we're walking down the sidewalk in Seattle and I just missed an uneven part of the curb. Messed up the rest of our plans which were to be on a remote camping/kayaking trip in orca whale grounds I must say though, that I met a lot of really nice people in Seattle and at the hospital. You Pacific Northwesterners have great people skills! (But I would be scared to be there if there was ever a coffee shortage- I've never seen so many coffee houses!)

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I love Ann Miller; she was a wonderful tap dancer. I love Eleanor Powell, too. Here Eleanor dances with an unusual partner--a horse! (She's after the Jumpin' Jive girls; my body hurts just from watching them.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJCOW...eature=related
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    You Pacific Northwesterners have great people skills! (But I would be scared to be there if there was ever a coffee shortage- I've never seen so many coffee houses!)
    Ah, Nirvana .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Well, I honestly thought I was giving back in kind.
    Let's see. Did anyone here make any assumption about your family? Did anyone pseudo-analyze your mental state and why you're behaving like you are? Did anyone say your development was arrested and told you to grow up? Nope.

Looks like I misunderstood after all, but like I probably said here earlier (or somewhere around here,) I'm not too focussed lately.
    See, for me me that worked the first time when you did it in another thread, now not so much.

If you're all so nice and proper and civil, how come you can be so rude? Even if you thought anything goes here (which it doesn't), if you're so decent and superior to us (yes, like we said, we know what you guys were saying about us at SF) and supposedly come here to enlighten us, how come stooping to "our level" (or way below it) comes so easy to you? I would never dream of going to another board and behaving the way you did. And I'm supposedly the heathen who believes in no rules.

Let me tell you guys how it all looked from our perspective, because it seems like no one has really given it much thought. Nor does any of you care. Which is one of the reasons that provoked some of the responses you got in this thread. Those of us who knew you were coming, had seen or heard about what you were saying about us at SF. Those who were surprised by your sudden arrival, were as surprised by the first post in this thread trying to set rules. No matter how inconspicuous or benign, in here it jarrs. I understand the PP always started like that, but Dorothy, you're not in Kansas anymore. Like Genevieve said, you can't import a thread to a new board without integrating some of the culture of that board. The starting post itself was clearly addressed to "Parlorites" when it should have been addressed more to us. You came to us, there should be some explanation and introduction, not just something addressed to your long time readers from another board.

All that made us feel, and it's pretty much true I think, that you don't care about FSU at all, you just needed a room. Please tell me you would love it if someone did it at your board. You're hoping we're going to let you go about your business and some of you have the audacity to tell us to go post in other threads and leave you alone? While Sharpie had the right to do that, you on the other hand were out of line. At any board people are pretty much the same, despite of different ways they might do things. They want to be included and hopefully respected. Not pushed aside and ignored, let alone put down by people who think they're superior in every way. If you come to someone's home and do that, you're asking for trouble.

Personally I think there's a space for PP here and it might even thrive after a while, but not with those attitudes. We do sympathize with you because losing your online home is never easy, especially if it's so sudden. We were ready to look past the criticism of FSU some of you expressed at SF, because we can take it. We chuckled at the taking over sentiments and "overpowering the snarkers", because we know it won't happen. We were hoping to connect with you on a basis of common interests, be it skating or whatever it is that you discuss in this thread, because we all go through stuff like that too. We were not expecting to be ridiculed, ignored and pushed aside, let alone have our mental state analyzed on our own board. Especially by those who claim to have higher standards than us. At least we put our money where our mouth is, and in more ways than one.

So, the jury is still out but if they don't deliver pizza soon I smell meh.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    We had already toured all over San Francisco, up and down the hills, on and off the cable cars, biked all over Napa (after tasting all kinds of great wine), climbed around in caverns and hiked in Crater Lake national park. Then we're walking down the sidewalk in Seattle and I just missed an uneven part of the curb. Messed up the rest of our plans which were to be on a remote camping/kayaking trip in orca whale grounds
    That's a sad ending to the trip, but it sounds wonderful before then. I'd actually planned a trip to Crater Lake this year and had to cancel when my plans changed. Did you like it?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast