Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    If that's not the case, should I be posting about my cat? He's a very nice cat. Only has one eye, so we like to warn people before they come over so they don't freak out. He's been trying to sit on our pizza box.
    Oooh! Ever hear Johnny Cash sing about that mean ole one-eyed cat?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Mine is a very sweet one eyed cat. His name is Jackson. Yup, one-eyed Jack.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Yup, one-eyed Jack.

Much better name than oh, say, one-eyed Snake.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Mean Eyed Cat (OK, Johnny doesn't specifically SAY the cat only has one eye but I'd like to believe he does)

Jackson
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Well, this is pretty much what I figured might happen over here. Some people must never have experienced the warmth and security of a loving home, because that is what the Parlor IS. I guess if you haven't ever experienced it, you might be scared of it. You might be scared of other people sharing genuine feelings with you and maybe even evoking genuine feelings in you, yourself. All of the cr@p being flung at the Parlor now is just scared little kids trying to scare us away. I have a suggestion for you scared little kids. Grow up and come in out of the cold, or take your arrested development to any of the other 68K threads as suggested by Sharpie. We are only asking for one lousy thread on which to be civil and respectful of each other. Fling your poop anywhere else, please.

My sincerest apologies to Patsy for my harsh words.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Well, this is pretty much what I figured might happen over here. Some people must never have experienced the warmth and security of a loving home, because that is what the Parlor IS.
    Why would you expect anyone here to know what the Parlor IS? Most people here have never been to SF or heard of the parlor before it was dropped in here. The initial post tells people what they CAN'T do, but doesn't say a whole lot about what they can do or why this is here.

And why would you expect to move in lock, stock and barrel? I am very sorry that you have lost your board; it's like losing a home and I understand that. But coming here and telling everyone how to behave on a board that has been theirs for years is like going to another country and complaining that this isn't how things are done at home and lecturing them all about how much better YOUR way is.

If you want this thread to be like the one you're used to, maybe you could try leading by example rather than alienating even more posters than you already have.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Welcome, have at it. I lurked at sf, and I do on quite a few skating boards.

I would look in on Patsy's Parlor on occasion, but never participate. Enjoy, there's certainly room for this thread.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Some people must never have experienced the warmth and security of a loving home...
    Somehow I don't think this is going to be an effective way of moving forward.

Which is too bad, because to me it looks like some FSUers have been trying to figure out what this thread is about and join the party. SHARPIE did ask existing board members to chill, and since then, they largely have. Now it sounds like they are not welcome.

I think most people here feel bad that you guys are losing your e-home. But you can't import a thread to a new board without integrating some of the culture of that board. I know you were all aware of the culture here on FSU before migrating. You've been discussing it. And while there are salty moments, we're largely a welcoming and fun bunch. Insisting that we're not is, well, kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy innit?

And if you honestly feel that this will be the one shining beacon of support, civility and respect on this board, you don't know FSU at all.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    THE PARLOR IS BACK!!!!!

vCash
    Just want to throw out a "Hi" to all the ex SF people here. Welcome.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    THE PARLOR IS BACK!!!!!
    And isn't hated, no matter what people back at the ranch might think.

Again, everyone is welcome. But you should expect to get some ribbing; it's part of the territory.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I have no idea what a Patsy's Parlor is, but a big hearty welcome to y'all anyhow .

vCash
    "All Are Welcome" followed by a list of rules? Ahem. So where's the Parlor for people who want to drink, smoke, play poker, gamble, swear, or spell Parlor with a "u"?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    "All Are Welcome" followed by a list of rules? Ahem. So where's the Parlor for people who want to drink, smoke, play poker, gamble, swear, or spell Parlor with a "u"?
    The Hot Tub?
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Why would you expect anyone here to know what the Parlor IS?

But coming here and telling everyone how to behave on a board that has been theirs for years is like going to another country and complaining that this isn't how things are done at home and lecturing them all about how much better YOUR way is.
    I was on skating forums for year and years, and although I checked into the Parlor at times, I never figured out exactly what it was for- just any general chatting, specific chatting?, because it was always the same people and they seemed to know each other so well so I stayed out. There are plenty of threads on FSU I see all the time they I have no freaking idea what they are for- their subjects certainly don't explain, and they always seem to be a continuation of previous threads by similar subjects- I just stay out of those too.

The Parlor never set the rules for the SF board, and they aren't trying to set the rules for this board. Patsy posted what she hopes are guidelines for this THREAD. That's a lot different than trying to make rules for a board. Not to mention many many skating forum members have been FSU members for a very long time (you'll notice Patsy joined in 2002. That's hardly waltzing right on in and trying to take over the place...) But since skatingforums tends to attract active adult skaters and FSU fans, most of us lurked over here, because we were only casual fans.

vCash
    just general chit chat about pets, jobs, family or anything that you might have on your mind but do not see the need to open a thread for.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    There are plenty of threads on FSU I see all the time they I have no freaking idea what they are for- their subjects certainly don't explain, and they always seem to be a continuation of previous threads by similar subjects- I just stay out of those too.
    That's nice of you, I guess. OTOH, if everyone did that, no one new would ever join in those threads, yet it happens all the time. People usually lurk a while until they figure out what's going on and then they join right in and everyone shifts over to make room without a fuss.

Patsy posted what she hopes are guidelines for this THREAD. That's a lot different than trying to make rules for a board.
    Well, no, it's not. I do understand that Patsy has always posted the same things at the beginning of all her Parlor threads and that this is not something that written just for FSU. *I* don't take it personally and I don't believe most of the other admins do, either, but I am not surprised that other posters do. Again, this thread was basically dropped into the forum; most people have no idea what it is, where it came from or what it's about. All they know is that someone they had never heard of has suddenly appeared and started posting "guidelines" for posting in a thread, complete with in-jokes from another forum.

Are you really surprised that the reaction is "Who are you?" If one of us had suddenly popped up on SF with a long running thread and told y'all how to post in it, would you have embraced the concept?

Not to mention many many skating forum members have been FSU members for a very long time. But since skatingforums tends to attract active adult skaters and FSU fans, most of us lurked over here, because we were only casual fans.
    Yes, we are aware of that, but considering that, I would think that some of you would know what happens when posters here start telling other people how to post in THREADS. It never goes well, and the admins will not back anyone on any rules for any thread other than the rules that are set for the board in general. I could refer you to some specific examples of this if you would like. It's not personal or anti-Parlor in particular.

And if you've been here a while, you should also know that any time someone comes into the board in a particularly noticeable way, some of the other posters are going to poke a bit to see what kind of reaction they get. Some of them are kind of obnoxious about it. It comes with the territory. Contrary to rumor, everything does not go here, but our lines are definitely farther apart than SF's ever were.

Again, I think that if you want this thread to work here, you might a) try to explain what it's all about and what people should do here, and b) be aware that you can't stake out a piece of FSU and call it yours. None of the threads on the open forums are restricted; all members can post in them, whether they follow the OPs intentions for the thread or not. That's the way it is. And considering that this board is much more international than SF and that English is not the first language or even the second or third for a lot of posters here, it might be a little more welcoming to ease up in the conventions recommendations.

Again, you are welcome here; the thread is welcome here. But, as I said before, if you want this thread to be a certain way, you would be best served if you lead by example.

just general chit chat about pets, jobs, family or anything that you might have on your mind but do not see the need to open a thread for.
    That's cool; sounds like a thread a lot of people will like, once we get past setting the parameters.

vCash

We do already have that, more or less, and have for ages.

They've always been one of the fabulous perks for being a supporter.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The Hot Tub?
    Where thread drift goes to play!
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Hi, all, glad to meet new people over here at FSU. I've been a long term poster at the Forum and couldn't imagine not having the group from the Parlour to chat with. For those not familiar with what someone called "in jokes", jump in and ask. The tributes noted at the end of the introduction relate to previous members who have died, and who, even as only virtual friends, we still mourn deeply. This is the power of the Parlour- to take strangers from all over the world and create a community of friends to whom you can turn for support, encouragement and laughs.

I'll start by introducing myself. I'm a physical therapist currently pursuing a second doctorate in health education. I started skating in my late 30s and continued for 10 years. Don't skate any more but continue to try to kill myself regularly with cycling, kayaking and other sports. Just came back from vacation where I broke my ankle walking on a level sidewalk...just walking

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast