vCash

Help needed to protect new hardwood floors.

I just had new hardwood floors installed in my apartment - mainly for resale purposes - but need to protect them from my furniture. I have already got the felt pads to add to the bottoms of chairs, tables, dresser and sofa legs but my main concern are my bookcases. I have several - some very large which will weigh a lot when my books are on them. I have the long skinny felt pads but they really don't look as if they can really protect the floor when the books are all in. Any (in-expensive) ideas of what else to use to put under the bookcases to help protect the new floors - which look amazing at the moment.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    You could buy some cork flooring that matches the colour of the hardwood, and cut it to fit under the bookshelves. That would prevent any marks from the weight of the shelves, and would not be too noticable.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Unless your wood is a soft wood (pine) rather than a hardwood like most floors in the US are made from, I'm not concerned about the weight of your bookcases impacting the floor or its finish. Most damage comes from pieces being moved, not from pieces sitting on the floor.

That's what the felt is designed for - to make it so that when your table moves, as it will, it won't scratch the floor.

One thing I would suggest is to put mats inside the entrances from outside your home. The mats will help catch dirt, and will help prevent your floor finish from wearing. I also actually vacuum my hardwood floors (on the hardwood/bare floor setting) to keep them clean.

If your floors do get scratched, post back here. I can tell you how to fix stuff like that. I am the queen of hardwood floors. No, seriously.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Unless your wood is a soft wood (pine) rather than a hardwood like most floors in the US are made from, I'm not concerned about the weight of your bookcases impacting the floor or its finish. Most damage comes from pieces being moved, not from pieces sitting on the floor. That's what the felt is designed for - to make it so that when your table moves, as it will, it won't scratch the floor.
    I have oak hardwood floors and I'm probably being paranoid re the bookcases as they won't be moving - especially once the books go back on. It's just they look so nice and I want to protect them as much as I can

One thing I would suggest is to put mats inside the entrances from outside your home. The mats will help catch dirt, and will help prevent your floor finish from wearing. I also actually vacuum my hardwood floors (on the hardwood/bare floor setting) to keep them clean.
    Already done that - and my vacum also has the bare floor setting and I put it round right after the floors went down - and I have been advised to use a swiffer duster to keep the floors clean. Any other recommendations re the cleaning?

If your floors do get scratched, post back here. I can tell you how to fix stuff like that. I am the queen of hardwood floors. No, seriously.
    Will do!!

vCash
    The Swiffer duster is fine. I prefer to use the Bona microfiber mop, both as a wet mop and dry:
    http://store.mybonahome.com/product.aspx?pid=349

Minwax also makes one, which you can get at Ace Hardware. I like those types of mops because you can wash them and reuse them.
    Use Yah Blinkah!