Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Just adding my welcome, here. I haven't been around much the past few days. I'm trying to catch up a little.

I joined FSU in 2007 and love it here. I'm still a member of 3 or 4 other message boards but I come to FSU for all the latest skating news and because a lot of my friends are here. I like everyone here, too (that is as far as I'm concerned).
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Thanks all for the welcomes. I've been on Internet forums long enough to develop a fairly sophisticated filter, so I'm quite happy to take the good and ignore the rest. Us Canadians are just built that way I guess.

I neither know nor care about rivalries among skating boards. But I am happy to be in any lively discussion. As much as I loved SkatingForums, it had been somewhat underutilized of late. Tumbleweeds even.

(BTW, I was just plain "Artemis" at SF, but that handle was already taken when I first signed up here 5 years ago.)

vCash
    I left there years ago and love it here. Sharpie made everyone feel welcome. Well, as long as you weren't a thin skinned, stuck up twat hell bent on taking over the site, you were welcome.

Are there still people who believe that the internet, web hosting, etc. is magically provided by fairies? Because, calling this site 'F$U' is insulting to the owner. And when a bunch of us stragglers came here with the iskater fiasco, we were welcomed warmly. I'm thrilled to be here with the snarkers. Over there, I once got a smackdown from Helen for calling a skater a 'lolipop' - think it was (Hunger) Pang?

If I recall correctly, sharpie was told 'go start your own site' and she created this site. Anyone looking to 'take over' should try to do what sharps did.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I left there years ago and love it here. Sharpie made everyone feel welcome. Well, as long as you weren't a thin skinned, stuck up twat hell bent on taking over the site, you were welcome.

Are there still people who believe that the internet, web hosting, etc. is magically provided by fairies? Because, calling this site 'F$U' is insulting to the owner. And when a bunch of us stragglers came here with the iskater fiasco, we were welcomed warmly. I'm thrilled to be here with the snarkers. Over there, I once got a smackdown from Helen for calling a skater a 'lolipop' - think it was (Hunger) Pang?

If I recall correctly, sharpie was told 'go start your own site' and she created this site. Anyone looking to 'take over' should try to do what sharps did.
    Wow! After reading this ... I'm thrilled to be here, too, with the snarkers! I know this much ... I'm so glad that Sharpie started FSU and it is the best place around. period.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    simone! Unless ya want a nice instead?

vCash
    I was sorry to hear that they were shutting SF down as I really got a lot out of the "On Ice" information. I always hoped more people would post that kind info here in the
    Moves section so hopefully that will be the case.
    I didn't like how a few SF posters would comment regarding skaters who are being a pain and getting in the way (on ice) that a way to handle it would be to get too close or sort of swipe them. Dangerous, and this is supposed to be a fun sport. Everyone wants to compete or pass a test at their best ability but there has to be a better way to practice than to do something that could purposefully cause harm to another and further the consequences for yourself.
    Over here be prepared for the "rep" function. If you say something that someone doesn't like about a fav skater and they are paying members they might negative rep you- as though they were personally insulted. That, along with a ton of posts of people snarking back at you mostly saying the same thing is something else you might want to get used to. I often don't even post something even if it's true because it isn't worth it due to some of the ubers, but I think lots of you have thicker skin so please post away and try not to take it personally.
    Most of all I hope that the on ice/off ice tips you all have will appear over here as they were great!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Same to you, dbell!! No is just fine and I think we both deserve that today!
    Angie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Adrian is shutting down SashaFans as well, though I think a considerable number of people who post there post here anyway. I joined FSU a few months after SF. Gawd, when I was in high school.
    Same here Lanie! God I was such a Sasha uber back then.

vCash
    Wasn't there a KimmieFans at some point too? I guess it faded into oblivion when her skating career started deteriorating

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Welcome to FSU. Glad to get new and informed posters instead of just the same idiot ubers who crawl out of the wordwork. Pretty much everyone here has come from other site, and have adapted to the style and mannerisms here. Hope most of you can as well.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    That was an interesting read over at skating forums. It never occurred to me that FSU wasn't welcoming I get birthday wishes on here every year and I don't post that much. Of course, I was run off of Adrian Chew's original forum as a 19 year old, so maybe that should tell me something.

I'm starting to skate more and more and am looking in to adult skating, so I'm interested to see what these on ice bring.

Welcome to everyone
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I'm starting to skate more and more and am looking in to adult skating, so I'm interested to see what these on ice bring.

Welcome to everyone
    Good for you! Welcome to the adult skating world! I also started skating as an adult. I try not to let it show.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    You are all very welcome, but do me a favour. If you want to bitch about this place before coming here, then do it privately eh? Just been over to Skating Forums for a look and am a little . Nobody is forcing you ok? Or to pay (This forum is free) I'd rather people post here cos they enjoy it than feel forced.
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    OK, I've read what there was to read and have a new perspective. I'm not going to be calling anyone nasty, though. (yet)

Seriously, for those who want to come here (and are not forced/hate the place already) but might be a little afraid: Welcome. We do like new posters. Preferably those who didn't badmouth us first (but hey, maybe you'll change your mind) and are not thinking of coming here to "take over". I mean, badmouthing I can take, but the "taking over" sentiment is a little rude, don't you think?

Anyway, basically you need two things at FSU: a sense of humor. A thicker skin. The world is not going to end if someone on the Internet says this or that to you. Seriously. If anything, FSU can give you a new perspective on things. And more distance to others and yourself. Not a bad thing.
    I'm afraid that I am one of guilty parties over at SF, and I really do owe you all an apology, because I had a truly knee jerk reaction. That's pretty common for me lately, as my attention span and focus have been affected by my health, but it will improve with time, I promise. I wasn't sure that I still had an ID here, or what my password was if I did, it's been so long since I've checked in.

I don't mind snarky, and I'm not afraid of anyone who can't reach out and physically hurt me (and not afraid of some of them either.) Re the worst criticisms (which were not mine, BTW): I will never understand why some people get their rocks off on hurting others and laughing at them, but hey, without that kind of behavior we wouldn't need Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed, or Gandhi, to name a few.

Having taken a closer look, I find I quite like the political discussion arena, which was deader than a door nail over at SF. I think we SF'ers do have a lot to contribute to the MIF forum, as that seems to have been our forte. I wouldn't say we would take it over, but we might become the majority posters, or even better, stimulate more posting from current members. I'm liking this thread too, and I promise to play nice here, by your standards, of course .

vCash
    Welcome dbny!!!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    allezfred and poths are Irish so we say "shit" and "fcuck" a lot too. We can't help it. It's genetic.
    I say those words a lot as well. I do actually have some Irish blood in me (though the majority is German).

Anyway, I was just trying to warn new posters to beware of you.

-Aaron (still debating a trip to Worlds in Nice at the "risk" of being subjected to the ultra-snarky allezfred)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Figure skating boards stole my youth! That's my excuse
    Someone remind me of this in a few years when I need an excuse for what I did with my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Don't forget Bytch - she's nasty.
    Luckily she comes with a built in warning label.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    Same here Lanie! God I was such a Sasha uber back then.
    We go way back!

Anyway, welcome to FSU! It is awesome here.

SHARPS RULES

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbny View Post
    Having taken a closer look, I find I quite like the political discussion arena, which was deader than a door nail over at SF. I think we SF'ers do have a lot to contribute to the MIF forum, as that seems to have been our forte. I wouldn't say we would take it over, but we might become the majority posters, or even better, stimulate more posting from current members. I'm liking this thread too, and I promise to play nice here, by your standards, of course .
    One of the best qualities of FSU is its variety. There's a thread or two for everybody. Ignore those you don't like. Ignore posters who really annoy you. There are some threads I've never read or forums I seldom open. I read those that I find informative or entertaining and don't bother with those that aren't. But, as I always tell my students, the fastest way to piss somebody off is to tell them ______did this better than you do. Even if its true, just don't say it.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Hey guys, don't scare them off before they even post!
    Hmmmmm the reason that the regular forums at SF are empty is because Adrian banned all the regular posters years ago.
    I didn't like a forum where if you disagreed with him, you were gone, so, thoses who weren't banned just quit the forum.
    Adrian was a bit anal.
    This is a good site. Very informative and lively.
    You will have fun here.
    Oh, I forgot, WELCOME

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    I say those words a lot as well. I do actually have some Irish blood in me (though the majority is German).

Anyway, I was just trying to warn new posters to beware of you.

-Aaron (still debating a trip to Worlds in Nice at the "risk" of being subjected to the ultra-snarky allezfred)
    Oh, I'm much nicer in person.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast