Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    Jayar is snarkie. And Allezfred. And poths. And Prancer. FSU newbies should watch out for that last one especially.
    Yeah, she eats newbies for lunch. And she hasn't had her lunch yet...

Don't believe only the ones who claim to be the nice admins...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    ......... cry all over SF that some nasty person on F$U (lol) told you to suck it.

They really call us F$U? How ridiculous.

Hey, like you've been told, many of the forums on this site are free. You are never forced to pay, your choice.

Go ahead and post to your heart's content on those forums as we pick up the cost for you.

Oh, and welcome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Hi all! I've been a "member" here for several years, but haven't posted for a very long time. I just got into the habit of using SkatingForums instead -- not because it was better, obviously, just habit I guess. And I'm enough of an online addict that supporting 2 forums was not going to be healthy for me.

Anyway, with SkatingForums shutting down (insert very very sad emoticon here), I expect I'll be here more often from now on. I'm sure I'll be welcome. Um, right?
    Yes. Welcome. There's a little something for everyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    I see... well I'm glad I landed here and not over there
    As am I!
    I'm familiar with all of those other boards.
    However, I'm comfortable in this "lively" atmosphere.
    There's a place for everyone's opinion/thoughts, here.

Welcome!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Er, I'm kind of excited to have everyone come to FSU! As long as all the awesome On Ice peeps from SF migrate to Moves in the Field, it'll be the best of both worlds.
    Yup, basically the On Ice forum was the only bit of SF that I read (when I used to skate, now that I'm off ice, I check it only rarely), because the rest is soooo bland... the area reserved for news and skating discussion is always almost empty!!! OTOH the MITF area here is not as lively... but the posters dedicated to those topics could happily post there, maybe avoiding the most "lively" areas if they feel they are not a good fit for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    They really call us F$U? How ridiculous.
    But there are lots of free parts here too! From the kind of discussion I've seen over there, GSD, MITF and OTBT should plenty suffice, without paying a cent! (then, as I think numbers said, for the "stronger of hearts" the private areas are worth every penny!!! )

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    OK, I've read what there was to read and have a new perspective. I'm not going to be calling anyone nasty, though. (yet)

Seriously, for those who want to come here (and are not forced/hate the place already) but might be a little afraid: Welcome. We do like new posters. Preferably those who didn't badmouth us first (but hey, maybe you'll change your mind) and are not thinking of coming here to "take over". I mean, badmouthing I can take, but the "taking over" sentiment is a little rude, don't you think?

Anyway, basically you need two things at FSU: a sense of humor. A thicker skin. The world is not going to end if someone on the Internet says this or that to you. Seriously. If anything, FSU can give you a new perspective on things. And more distance to others and yourself. Not a bad thing.

Many of our regular posters were once scared unsure newbies, wondering if they were going to fit it. Myself included. So if you're thinking about taking the plunge, do it. Close your eyes if you need to. That's for folks who are at least somewhat curious about FSU and interested in meeting new people and learning some new things, as we do have some specific ways of doing things here. But then again which board doesn't?

If you're a willowy flower who takes offense at everything, I don't know about you folks. Some of you might still like it, because like I said, you might find a thicker skin refreshing. Some of you might call us nasty. Oh wait...you already did. Well, I would still try it if I were you, just for the hell of it. Maybe "nasty" is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Having said that, we're not one monolith, we're a bunch of people with thousands of opinions (except for PI, you can only have two there ). We might argue, fight, rant and criticize but we also laugh a lot, support each other, find any possible information (skating-related and any other) here and just have old plain fun. Many of us have changed our minds on something because we had a chance to see a completely different point of view. Didn't like Jayar's sense of humor? Maybe you'd like his posts on something else. People are multi-dimensional, take it as a challenge not to get offended so easily. Who knows, you just might have more fun.

For those who just want to continue what they've been doing before with no regards to the new environment, hosts and people around you, or especially if you're thinking about "taking over", you could try, I guess... Don't complain if it hurts.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Everybody is welcome as long as they remember THE TRASH CAN (the Skips) IS MINE . . . but I do like visitors, particularly with mockable polls, major , and all those things you should not say about figure skating but you do because it is the off season and you are bored.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Welcome, Artemis!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I want to echo what WindSpirit said, and also suggest that any SF newbies take a moment to read our forum rules, particularly the last one regarding use of special/colored fonts

welcome!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I started over here a few years back, then stopped. (Work related) Just getting started again. Used to post about made-up skaters, like Polly, on older boards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    Jayar is snarkie. And Allezfred. And poths. And Prancer. FSU newbies should watch out for that last one especially.
    And the rest of us (I was Lee in a former life) are nice -- well, except for Spinner. He just thinks he's nice.

(and Jayar only thinks he's a troll)
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Don't forget Bytch - she's nasty.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Oh, yeah...forgot about her...

4 More Years
    vCash
    Then of course we do have the one and only Living Saint

eta, welcome to the fabulousness of FSU!
    Last edited by skatemomaz; 08-28-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Bytch is really a softie.

(Don't tell her I said that.)

vCash
    Hello all and thanks for providing a place of refuge . . . . please don't be put off by "taking over" remarks and any other remarks over at skatingforums right now--people are working thru their grief/surprise/anger/shock/nowwhatthehell/etc. Give them a bit of space and I think things will calm down and be fine.

Nope--no "F$U", never fear; it was "F$W" when figureskatingworld turned, overnight, into a pay-to-play site.

Ah Polly--I thought I was the only one who remembered that famous skater and her unique move The Falling Tree!!

*heads off to set up Patsy's Parlor XXXVI (Parlor I of the new fsu era)*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Then FSW shut down and most people from FSW migrated here.

Then Adrian started Skatingforums for some of the people who missed FSW.
    Adrian started FSW (I think) in the mid-90s - one of the first skating discussion forums. He turned FSW over to iskater.com around 2000 (who can forget the early-era play-by play ) and then a couple years later started SF, intending it to be for a small group from FSW; then iskater suddenly (like instantly, with no notice ) started charging money to post on FSW, so many who were 'locked out' migrated first to here and then to SF once people became aware of its existence. Many (like me) have posted on both boards. Over the past 4 years or so, SF has gotten much quieter, with most of the activity in the On Ice (participant skaters) section. FSU has become the place to go for elite/competitive skating news and competition discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Er, I'm kind of excited to have everyone come to FSU! As long as all the awesome On Ice peeps from SF migrate to Moves in the Field, it'll be the best of both worlds.
    I agree.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    Nope--no "F$U", never fear; it was "F$W" when figureskatingworld turned, overnight, into a pay-to-play site.
    Funny, I read posts that called us F$U just last night.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    And the rest of us (I was Lee in a former life) are nice -- well, except for Spinner. He just thinks he's nice.

(and Jayar only thinks he's a troll)
    I keep that persona going so people continue to admire me from afar. Seriously, when I attend skating events, it can get a little crazy for me. Being surrounded by hundreds of women wearing jersey and poly-blends causes me to break out. And don't even get me started on the perm smell. That's the worst. Damn Canadians.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I keep that persona going so people continue to admire me from afar. Seriously, when I attend skating events, it can get a little crazy for me. Being surrounded by hundreds of women wearing jersey and poly-blends causes me to break out. And don't even get me started on the perm smell. That's the worst. Damn Canadians.
    Aw, you love us and you know it!

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast