Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aisurukoto View Post
    Anyway.... Now, I'm worried about Rippon and Gao when they need to leave Cricket.. How can they say good-bye to their coach after seeing this kind of mess? As discussed, Orser is very classy
    Skater: Brian, this isn't working for me. I've decided to go somewhere new. Thank you for coaching me this far.

Orser: I'm sorry to see you go. I wish you the best. Let's tell your training mates so that they don't hear it from the Internet first, and then we can release a joint statement.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I think I've found a good example of how the meaning and tone of words (quotes) can change, depending on how it's translated.

English summary article translated from the Korean (a link to the original Korean article is provided at the top) -- title is "So Why Did Kim Yu-na Split With Her Coach Orser?": http://english.donga.com/srv/service...=2010082600398
    Relevant quote from the English Donga article:
    On Kim’s responses, he [Orser] said, “I’m being insulted. I think it’s better for Kim to leave my team. She won’t be able get the same training as in the past when she leaves.
    From Hersh's first article, here's Orser's original quote:
    http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...respected.html
    Kim, 19, remains at the club, of which she is a member. Orser feels that situation is rapidly becoming untenable.
    "It has created a tension that is having an impact on all the other skaters," Orser said. "Something has to change.
    "I think it would be better for her to leave the club. I don't think she can train on her own at this level."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    And I thought Yu-na was very wrong to say he "lied."
    I know it has already been said, but I don't think that she wanted to say that way, I think it's just a problem of language.

English is not my first language.

And I learned reading this thread that the word "liar" has such a bad connotation in English. I mean, if a child eats cookies and then say he hadn't, would you call him a liar? but he's telling a lie...
    (at least, in "my" English..that could be completely wrong, correct me in this case, but maybe more foreigners have this understanding)

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aisurukoto View Post
    Anyway.... Now, I'm worried about Rippon and Gao when they need to leave Cricket.. How can they say good-bye to their coach after seeing this kind of mess? As discussed, Orser is very classy
    Adam has already left one coach and he discussed the process in a very thoughtful journal entry on his blog. One thing Adam did right in the process was call Morozov personally and tell him the decision. Adam's a young man and I'm sure it wasn't easy or fun for him to do that, but the direct communication about his decision was probably very helpful. So no need to worry about Adam, if he needs to leave Brian and the Cricket Club, I'm sure he'll handle it just fine.

I needed to find a place where I knew I would improve and I needed a coach who could be there more often. I called Nikolai and told him my decision.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Adam has already left one coach and he discussed the process in a very thoughtful journal entry on his blog. One thing Adam did right in the process was call Morozov personally and tell him the decision. Adam's a young man and I'm sure it wasn't easy or fun for him to do that, but the direct communication about his decision was probably very helpful. So no need to worry about Adam, if he needs to leave Brian and the Cricket Club, I'm sure he'll handle it just fine.
    Wow, Adam listed his reasons why he left his former coach, but his former coach didn't issue a public release.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post
    I know it has already been said, but I don't think that she wanted to say that way, I think it's just a problem of language.

And I learned reading this thread that the word "liar" has such a bad connotation in English. I mean, if a child eats cookies and then say he hadn't, would you call him a liar? but he's telling a lie...
    (at least, in "my" English..that could be completely wrong, correct me in this case, but maybe more foreigners have this understanding)
    Hi, I'm one of those 'newcomers', at least in this topic. 'Welcome' me, active members if you wish!

I just wanted to say, if someone's not so skilled in English, he or she should be wise enough not to twitter in English about complicated matters like this. I'm no supporter of Brian, but I think that twittering of Yuna's hurt him, and even if he wasn't telling the whole truth...which I suspect is the case, he certainly did not deserve to be accused of letting out false info from a former pupil who he guided to the OGM. At least not through a twitter! And sure, if a kid who ate cookies says he hasn't, I'd call him a liar. He lied, so he's a liar. I don't understand your point at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Figga View Post
    I agree. I think he tried to balance defending his own position with complimenting Yu-Na (to ostensibly show he bears no ill will) and got carried away while talking.

Very generous interpretation. impressive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kia_4EverOnIce View Post

Agree. I think you are correct. Working quite a bit with people whose native language is not mine, I've been trying to become fluent in a second language for years now. The more I study and speak with people in a language that is not my native language, the more people speak to me in my native language that is not theirs, the more I understand how real the language barrier is and how much can be truly lost in translation.

This thing between Yuna and Brian, at this point, seems very much like a problem of language.

Hopefully, the situation will resolve as well as possible for both of them because they both seem like decent individuals. Skater/coach relationships, especially at this level, are not set in stone and changes are not uncommon. Good luck to all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leon View Post
    Maybe everyone needs to learn something.
    For sure, Brian needs to learn how to be fired with grace and dignity and a shut mouth.
    When do any skaters/ coaches keep their mouths shut to the media?

I love Yu Na and I love Brian. Together or seperate- I will still like them. Why? Because their SKATING/COACHING is what I want to watch! The drivel in media doesn't matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by eyh201 View Post
    Wow, Adam listed his reasons why he left his former coach, but his former coach didn't issue a public release.
    Yes...Morozov is a beacon of virtue in a coach.
    Last edited by Twilight1; 08-26-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

moving right along
    vCash
    At this point, my true interest is: What IS YuNa's free skate music?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinku View Post
    I just wanted to say, if someone's not so skilled in English, he or she should be wise enough not to twitter in English about complicated matters like this. I'm no supporter of Brian, but I think that twittering of Yuna's hurt him, and even if he wasn't telling the whole truth...which I suspect is the case, he certainly did not deserve to be accused of letting out false info from a former pupil who he guided to the OGM.
    Orser STARTED all the fuss. He did not bash Kim once. He even seemed busy interviewing with all kinds of media outlets. On top of that, he revealed Kim's new program number. I've never heard about a former coach to disclose a former pupil's program number. The transition could have been smooth. I miss CLASSY Orser.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Despite Orser?s announcement of the split, Kim was at their Toronto skating club Tuesday afternoon working on her new long program with choreographer David Wilson.

"It is a fantastic program, by far the best one I?ve seen," Orser said. "It is well beyond even her (Olympic program) Concerto in F. It?s a complete departure."

The routine is set to a compilation of Korean music, featuring the famous folk song "Arirang", Orser revealed.

vCash
    I think Brian is just trying to protect his integrity by making sure his side gets told a bit....it's his career after all.

Overall I don't think either side has been handled great, and it's most likely about money IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eyh201 View Post
    Orser STARTED all the fuss. He did not bash Kim once. He even seemed busy interviewing with all kinds of media outlets. On top of that, he revealed Kim's new program number. I've never heard about a former coach to disclose a former pupil's program number. The transition could have been smooth. I miss classy Orser.
    I wouldn't say Orser started all that fuss. ATS's response to Orser's intial statement was poor and even accusatory. Its totally possible Brian would have left it at his initial statement if their response had been more professional. I'm frankly not so sure thats the case but that is so what could have happened. If I'm going to give Yu-na the benefit of the doubt that maybe she had reasons for not responding to him, I'll give him the same there.

Of course than he commented and said somethings that were IMO personal and unprofessional in between the lines, but coached with "I care about Yu-na" :rollseyes: and then there was the U lie B, and the entire thing esculated.

In the end I like both sides, and if they can all shut up and go to their prospective corners, I'll be able to get over it.

vCash
    ^^^Argh. I don't care how "fantastic" the program is, it wasn't his business to announce it. That really frustrated me when I originally heard it (not that the music isn't going to be great for her. He really just should have let her announce it in due time).

I don't understand why this whole thing has been blown up to such proportions. A skater left a coach. Maybe she's an Olympic champion, but sometimes, skaters leave coaches. It doesn't need to be an international media frenzy. And she's only a teenager...she shouldn't have to be so distressed over this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I think Brian is just trying to protect his integrity by making sure his side gets told a bit....it's his career after all.

Overall I don't think either side has handled great, and it's most likely about money IMO.
    I'm starting to put a few puzzle pieces together. Last year at JGP LP, I asked Brian if he and David Wilson would be bringing a YuNa/Michelle show like Festa to the US. This was because I had the fortune of being at all three shows in 2009 and thought that it was wonderful. He indicated that those shows would happen after the Olympics and would probably be located in NYC, Chicago and LA. After the Olympics, I asked a reliable source as to whether or not those would go forward and I was told that "it didn't work out".

My guess is that with the formation of AT Sports, YuNa's mother may have wanted Brian cut out of the action, both financially and creatively. Why I cannot say. If my timing is right, Mama waited until she had had met with Brian as to his being let go to let the announcement of the LA show be made. public

vCash
    I don't know who started but I still believe that things gotten worse when Orser made the '3A' comment in a conference after the Oly (remember Yuna's face when she heard that ? and didn't she say that she wasn't happy about Orser's comments in interviews ?).
    Yuna then decided to distance from him. Orser, wanting to know Yuna's future plans but because he's not getting any reply from her, came up with this stupid lie about 'another skater'. Yuna's side soon knew the truth......
    What we know is they are both immature (incl. ATS and Mama Kim too).

One thing I don't understand is why Kwak had to leave too. Was she told to leave too ? the girl has her GPS in 2 months and has to move back to Korea. What a mess for her.

Looking forward to see WORLDS 2011.

vCash
    Here is how I see it. Assuming both parties are telling the truth...

Obviously there were some problems that bothered Yuna enough to decide stop working with him.
    Yuna's side have told Brian about those problems. (Given that things started going sour in May and ATS wanted the time off in August, I don't buy Yuna's side didn't try to talk about it first before just ignoring him.)

And then there are some possibilities...

1) Brian thought those were trivial so he didn't take it seriously. Problems remain.
    -> Yuna's side thinks Brian already knows the problems/reasons and doing nothing to address them. They feel neglected.
    2) Translation didn't work very well and Brian doesn't really get it. Problems remain.
    -> Yuna's side thinks Brian already knows the problems/reasons and doing nothing to address them. They feel neglected.
    3) Brian knows the problems but simply can't address those problems. (Brian thinks that Yuna understands the situation and is okay with that?) Problems remain.
    -> Yuna's side thinks Brian already knows the problems/reasons ...........

So the bottom line is, Yuna's side thinks Brian already knows the reasons, and Brian has no clue. Brian thinks 'why are you doing this to me out of the blue??' and Yuna thinks 'I've told you million times before, you know the reasons and why are you doing this to me??'
    This actually happens quite often even among very close people. (i.e. "Are you listening to me?!" "....What??") Plus there is this language-culure difference factor which doesn't help the case.

I don't really mind their spliting that much anymore because even the nicest people have disagreements and sometimes it is just better for them to split.

BUT I really mind the way Brian acted afterward. Interviews after interviews, trying to drive Yuna out of Cricket club(the way I see it, it is Brian who is creating uncomfortable atmosphere for the skaters over this issue), disclosing personal information, portraying Yuna and her mom in wrong way, etc.
    He really lost my respect last couple of days.

ETA: However, Brian DID tell a lie. He told Yuna that there was an offer from Mao(see his e-mail to Yuna) and he told there was no offer in his recent interview. He's been pretty consistent about this issue from the beginning(his e-mail, his interview with Korean media, his Chicago Tribune interview) except the most recent TV interview so I think there was an offer indeed, but it doesn't really matter now. What matters is that he lied at least on time. It's either he lied to Yuna then, or he lies now.
    Last edited by invierno; 08-26-2010 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    Here's a link to the cut that was mentioned by name:

Arirang
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    To protect his integrity? Well, it seems he happened to show his vulnerability to separation and rejection. Where is mature and thoughtful Orser we've loved?

Overall I don't think either side has handled great, and it's most likely about money IMO.
    Well, I think money is the last reason of their break-up.

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast