View Poll Results: Who will coach Yu-Na?

Voters
334. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mama

    99 29.64%
  • TAT

    8 2.40%
  • Arthurnian

    29 8.68%
  • Frank Carroll

    23 6.89%
  • Pam Gregory!!

    0 0%
  • Richard Callaghan

    7 2.10%
  • Morozov

    12 3.59%
  • YNK and Asada will coach each other

    68 20.36%
  • other

    88 26.35%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 261 to 276 of 276
  1. #261
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    535
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    Coaches are not qualified to give dieting advice, and a coach telling a developing young girl who is by all means already underweight shouldn't give her a demeaning guilt trip over a single cheeseburger. "It's not rocket science" that a pairs girl needs to be small, but it's also not "rocket science" that a single cheeseburger has never made anyone fat, and that a young girl doesn't need to get berated over it.

    That you would imply it's okay because girls "need to watch their weight" in pairs is disappointing. Yes, they need to watch their weight, but considering this girl didn't have weight issues to begin with, this shouldn't have come up from the coach, especially not in that manner.
    Sorry this is off topic but I need to respond to the comments about pair girls' eating habits. Female athletes need to eat adequate calories to sustain their level of exercise. My daughter who is an adult pair skater recently completed a college nutrition course where she calculated that she needs to consume 2750 calories per day given her vigorous level of activity. She eats nutritious food generally, but she also bakes cookies and brownies and eats them too. There's nothing wrong with that as long as she is getting a balanced diet, watching portion sizes, and not eating too much of the unhealthy stuff. There was a good article about nutrition for young athletes in the Denver Post this week that is worthwhile reading:

    http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_16058313

    This is the advice that coaches should be giving their students.

  2. #262

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    77
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Sorry this is off topic but I need to respond to the comments about pair girls' eating habits. Female athletes need to eat adequate calories to sustain their level of exercise. My daughter who is an adult pair skater recently completed a college nutrition course where she calculated that she needs to consume 2750 calories per day given her vigorous level of activity. She eats nutritious food generally, but she also bakes cookies and brownies and eats them too. There's nothing wrong with that as long as she is getting a balanced diet, watching portion sizes, and not eating too much of the unhealthy stuff. There was a good article about nutrition for young athletes in the Denver Post this week that is worthwhile reading:

    http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_16058313

    This is the advice that coaches should be giving their students.
    ITA. That's what my mom always says to me; it's okay to eat sugary stuff once in a while as long as you don't splurge and as long as the rest of your diet is balanced. That's the key here; balance. Plus, as an athlete, you need to eat to have the energy to skate, otherwise, how could you practice and complete your program?

  3. #263
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,482
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Nobody will be her coach. She will retire.

    I wanna know who will coach Kwak Kwak.

  4. #264
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,273
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    That you would imply it's okay because girls "need to watch their weight" in pairs is disappointing. Yes, they need to watch their weight, but considering this girl didn't have weight issues to begin with, this shouldn't have come up from the coach, especially not in that manner.
    I definitely agree, and I'm not questioning your info, but why would a skater be telling her coach about a hamburger anyway? Perhaps the story that was told to you was exaggerated a bit. I think every athlete, high level or not, should watch their weight to an extent. I see no problems with a coach, a parent, etc, telling a child to eat healthy and limit sweets. The world in general would be better off if everyone ate smaller, nutritious, balanced portions.

    I can't see how an athlete training many hours a week and doing cardio is going to gain weight from a single hamburger, a scoop of ice cream, or anything else that they may treat themselves to every once in a while. The ones who starve themselves often seem to mess up their metabolisms, end up too weak to get through training, feel deprived, etc. I would hope no coach would be clueless enough to believe a single hamburger would actually do anything. If a skater needs to eat healthier or increase their cardio, a coach needs to be careful in the way he/she phrases it. (wow, sorry this is indeed way off topic)

  5. #265
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The story is that she was feeling bloated because of what she'd eaten the day before and when she told the coach, he asked her what she ate, and that's when she told him.

    The story may have been exaggerated but a skating dad would say a young girl should basically starve herself because she does pairs is kinda sad. I agree with what everyone says about splurging once in a while being perfectly fine.

  6. #266

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,158
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4049
    "fat doesn't fly. you can either eat or compete"

  7. #267
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,273
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    The story is that she was feeling bloated because of what she'd eaten the day before and when she told the coach, he asked her what she ate, and that's when she told him.
    Ohhh. Well that changes the story a little. If a food doesn't agree with her stomach and makes her not feel well a whole day later when she's supposed to be training, I would tell her not to eat it either. Food is supposed to fuel you for training, not make you feel like crap. Of course this is a lot different than if the coach said "you shouldn't have eaten that one hamburger because now you'll get fat", which he might have. But hopefully he was reacting more to her not feeling well to the point where it was affecting her training. As long as she's not eating hamburgers once a week or something like that, I don't see why a coach would care. And if he does, just go to a nutritionist because the coach doesn't seem to have a clue about food.

  8. #268
    Two Pot Screamer
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Keeper of Prancer's Stupidity
    Age
    50
    Posts
    13,183
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16930
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Ohhh. Well that changes the story a little. If a food doesn't agree with her stomach and makes her not feel well a whole day later when she's supposed to be training, I would tell her not to eat it either. Food is supposed to fuel you for training, not make you feel like crap.
    On the other hand, speaking from experience, if you're restricting your calorie intake too much, a hamburger can make you feel like crap a whole day later.

    If you are normally a healthy eater and have a burger once in a while, I don't believe you would suffer for 24 hours because of it. Unless it's food poisoning or another medical issue, I would be looking for other signs of disordered eating.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

  9. #269
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Nobody will be her coach. She will retire.

    I wanna know who will coach Kwak Kwak.
    Hyun-Jung Chi is Min-Jung Kwak's new coach. I don't know if that situation is permanent though or just until her back heals (I don't know if she intends to stay in Korea once she is better or not). Maybe Yuna can coach Kwak ?

    Anyways, what about Charlene Wong as Yuna's coach?

  10. #270
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jersey of course!
    Posts
    997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Hyun-Jung Chi is Min-Jung Kwak's new coach. I don't know if that situation is permanent though or just until her back heals (I don't know if she intends to stay in Korea once she is better or not). Maybe Yuna can coach Kwak ?

    Anyways, what about Charlene Wong as Yuna's coach?
    Exactly what part of her do you think is American and male?

  11. #271
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Exactly what part of her do you think is American and male?
    I thought she said he wasn't American? Gah so confused, and I don't remember her clarifying male vs female either

    I just meant that Charlene Wong is in the LA area, and she was working with Mirai on 3a back when she used to be her coach, so she's be a viable option.

  12. #272

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,491
    vCash
    483
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I thought she said he wasn't American? Gah so confused, and I don't remember her clarifying male vs female either

    I just meant that Charlene Wong is in the LA area, and she was working with Mirai on 3a back when she used to be her coach, so she's be a viable option.
    Apparently, Yu Na said on her last press conference that 2 candidates for her coach are male and Americans. And she said non of them worked with Mao before.

  13. #273
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Apparently, Yu Na said on her last press conference that 2 candidates for her coach are male and Americans. And she said non of them worked with Mao before.
    Maybe it is Frank then, or Ken Congemi? Or maybe, the person doesn't even work in LA.

  14. #274

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Apparently, Yu Na said on her last press conference that 2 candidates for her coach are male and Americans. And she said non of them worked with Mao before.
    One of them has to be Frank, particularly if she is training in the LA area now. Can't think of the other one.

  15. #275
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,873
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    One of them has to be Frank, particularly if she is training in the LA area now. Can't think of the other one.
    About Frank, I really doubt that. Of course I could be wrong, but somehow I cannot see him even think of tolerating the combination of Yu-Na and her mother...
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-25-2010 at 07:37 AM.

  16. #276

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    at FSU
    Posts
    3,926
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3989
    If Frank is going to Palm Springs it won't be him.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.


Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •