View Poll Results: Who will coach Yu-Na?

Voters
334. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mama

99 29.64%
  • TAT

8 2.40%
  • Arthurnian

29 8.68%
  • Frank Carroll

23 6.89%
  • Pam Gregory!!

0 0%
  • Richard Callaghan

7 2.10%
  • Morozov

12 3.59%
  • YNK and Asada will coach each other

68 20.36%
  • other

88 26.35%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Those so called fans are mad.

I understand some prefer one skater over other. That some think one lady is a nicer person than the other. No matter from where they get their judging material for the last one.

Still - I am yet to understand why would trashing one skater make the other better as far as skating goes.

In my opinion - those people are not fans of anything or anybody. They are just bored and need something/somebody to be obsessed with.

As Mao's fan - good news about Yu Na makes me happy. If Yu Na is competitive and healthy, it will make competition much more interesting.
    I totally agree with you and my remark was not to start a fight or something, but these days people are way to sensitive...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by onionviper View Post
    I totally agree with you and my remark was not to start a fight or something, but these days people are way to sensitive...
    Does anyone want to revisit the original question?
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    Does anyone want to revisit the original question?
    Peter Oppegard

vCash
    Has any FSUer in LA seen her "try out" coaches?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    Peter Oppegard
    Were there good reasons why both Nikodinov and Ye-bin Mok left Oppegard?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    One reason is they both entered the Coaching ranks.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    One reason is they both entered the Coaching ranks.
    Both left Oppegard while they were still very much competing in the eligible rank; The fact that they're both coaching now play no role in that decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't think girls should be coached by Peter Oppergard, especially not fragile ones who may have self-esteem or body issues.

One young pairs girl (16-17) who couldn't have weighed more than 90 lbs, if that, told me how berated she was by Peter when she had admitted to him to eating a cheeseburger over the weekend. It's in line with everything else I've heard re: women going to Peter for training, but of course since everything is word of mouth, I can only say that I definitely believe it, but there's no first-hand proof unless that person posts directly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    I don't think girls should be coached by Peter Oppergard, especially not fragile ones who may have self-esteem or body issues.

One young pairs girl (16-17) who couldn't have weighed more than 90 lbs, if that, told me how berated she was by Peter when she had admitted to him to eating a cheeseburger over the weekend. It's in line with everything else I've heard re: women going to Peter for training, but of course since everything is word of mouth, I can only say that I definitely believe it, but there's no first-hand proof unless that person posts directly.
    TD: Your concerns are over exaggerated, just like most chatter heard around the stands in the rink. Secondly, should female pair skaters watch their weight? Absolutely! It just makes physical sense. You are being lifted over someone's head, who is riding on two thin pieces of metal over a frozen ice surface. It's not rocket science.

On the same note, men should be watching what they eat, how much they exercise, etc. It's part of the regimen when you are an elite athlete. If you can't do it, then don't be an elite athlete.

Will Yuna have a weight issue? She doesn't appear to currently. Only time will tell. And she has control over that, no one else.

I will meet you half way on your earlier comment...I don't think anyone with self-esteem issues or body issues should skate...it's a tough sport..everyone (especially some FSUers) is out gunning after you. It can mess with your brain, if you let it.

You know that expression "if you can't stand the heat...."? It applies to skating in a very big, ironic way. And, the higher up or more the accomplished you are, the more heat you will get. It comes with the territory.
    Last edited by crzesk8dad; 09-19-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    I don't think yuna will ever have weight issues, her parents are built like pencils and they don't even work out like yuna.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post

It will never happen, though.
    TT is a team leader and an advisor of Team Mao.
    Team leader: Tatiana Tarasova
    Main coach: Nobuo Sato
    Jump coach: Hiroshi Nagakubo
    Choreographer: Lori Nichol,Tatiana Tarasova
    Advisor: Tatiana Tarasova

vCash

Naming of Coach Imminent

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...136_73293.html

The statement that her new coach will not an American male eliminates Peter Oppegard

vCash
    I don't think yuna will ever have weight issues, her parents are built like pencils and they don't even work out like yuna.
    It is the Asian genes, I tell ya.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...136_73293.html

The statement that her new coach will not an American male eliminates Peter Oppegard
    The article is a little ambiguous, IMO. It said:

"There were some rumors that the Vancouver Olympic gold medalist’s new coach would be a skater who had trained Mao Asada in the past, but her agent AT Sports has denied this. `The new coach is an American man. That rumor is not true,' an AT Sports official said."

I read this as denying a rumor that Yu-Na's new coach had once trained Mao Asada (referring to Rafael, maybe) and stating that the new coach would be an American man (which Rafael is not). I don't think Mao has ever trained under an American coach. I understand though how the article could be read differently.

vCash
    Attyfan, good point

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Amarant View Post
    It is the Asian genes, I tell ya.
    Tell that to Magaret Cho .

vCash
    Someone who lives in Los Angeles...? Karen Kwan? Michelle?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post

It will never happen, though.
    TT is a team leader and an advisor of Team Mao.
    Team leader: Tatiana Tarasova
    Main coach: Nobuo Sato
    Jump coach: Hiroshi Nagakubo
    Choreographer: Lori Nichol,Tatiana Tarasova
    Advisor: Tatiana Tarasova
    I thought Tatiana was part of Mao's team only as a coreographer. Thanks for clarifying things!

Is Rafael Arutunian still in California? Maybe Yu-Na will go to him. Or maybe she's going to retire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    TD: Your concerns are over exaggerated, just like most chatter heard around the stands in the rink. Secondly, should female pair skaters watch their weight? Absolutely! It just makes physical sense. You are being lifted over someone's head, who is riding on two thin pieces of metal over a frozen ice surface. It's not rocket science.
    Most young and developing girls have self-esteem and body issues. Many flourish thanks to activities like figure skating and dance, and actually learn to love their bodies because of it. Some get lost on their own because those sports are so demanding, but many get steered into disorders by their coaches and teachers. You cannot tell me that a girl who goes down the road to anorexia and attends a ballet school who weighs her every day and tell her that she will never be anything unless she eats less, would have been an anorexic even at a less unhealthy school. She MIGHT have been- but probably not.

I have no idea how far Peter goes on the eating thing, but I do know many coaches who say "nutrition is not my thing, if there are weight issues I will refer you to a good nutritionist". Coaches are not qualified to give dieting advice, and a coach telling a developing young girl who is by all means already underweight shouldn't give her a demeaning guilt trip over a single cheeseburger. "It's not rocket science" that a pairs girl needs to be small, but it's also not "rocket science" that a single cheeseburger has never made anyone fat, and that a young girl doesn't need to get berated over it.

That you would imply it's okay because girls "need to watch their weight" in pairs is disappointing. Yes, they need to watch their weight, but considering this girl didn't have weight issues to begin with, this shouldn't have come up from the coach, especially not in that manner.

To also say that people who have self-esteem issues shouldn't participate in this sport is wrong. They can not only participate, but gain self-respect from it- IF they go with a coach who is careful about their health and places that first.

Yu-Na probably will never have weight issues, like someone else said, but the problem is that some coaches push girls to obsess about their diet even if they're already too skinny. That's not healthy and it's not necessary. In that respect, I don't think girls who aren't secure enough in themselves to tell the coach to step back when it comes to diet issues should be with coaches who can't clearly see when someone should or shouldn't be dieting. Pushing a girl who's already a good 10 pounds underweight never to eat anything she likes is only going to lead her down the road where food is the enemy and starvation isn't far behind. I've personally known a few skaters with eating disorders and their coach's encouragement of it was the most disgusting part of all.

Yu-Na eliminated Rafael already, so it isn't him.

Hmm...what about Sashi Kuchiki? He's not American, he works in the general area (Torrance, Paramount...) and he's a good coach. He's not very well-known but that's never bothered Yu-Na before. It would be a bit strange culturally speaking for a Korean to go to a Japanese coach...but I can't think of anyone else. Though if we are going to go down the culturally awkward pairings, it could also be Miss Li, who works at East West?
    Last edited by tangerine_dream; 09-21-2010 at 04:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    Most young and developing girls have self-esteem and body issues. Many flourish thanks to activities like figure skating and dance, and actually learn to love their bodies because of it. Some get lost on their own because those sports are so demanding, but many get steered into disorders by their coaches and teachers. You cannot tell me that a girl who goes down the road to anorexia and attends a ballet school who weighs her every day and tell her that she will never be anything unless she eats less, would have been an anorexic even at a less unhealthy school. She MIGHT have been- but probably not.

I have no idea how far Peter goes on the eating thing, but I do know many coaches who say "nutrition is not my thing, if there are weight issues I will refer you to a good nutritionist". Coaches are not qualified to give dieting advice, and a coach telling a developing young girl who is by all means already underweight shouldn't give her a demeaning guilt trip over a single cheeseburger. "It's not rocket science" that a pairs girl needs to be small, but it's also not "rocket science" that a single cheeseburger has never made anyone fat, and that a young girl doesn't need to get berated over it.

That you would imply it's okay because girls "need to watch their weight" in pairs is disappointing. Yes, they need to watch their weight, but considering this girl didn't have weight issues to begin with, this shouldn't have come up from the coach, especially not in that manner.

To also say that people who have self-esteem issues shouldn't participate in this sport is wrong. They can not only participate, but gain self-respect from it- IF they go with a coach who is careful about their health and places that first.

Yu-Na probably will never have weight issues, like someone else said, but the problem is that some coaches push girls to obsess about their diet even if they're already too skinny. That's not healthy and it's not necessary. In that respect, I don't think girls who aren't secure enough in themselves to tell the coach to step back when it comes to diet issues should be with coaches who can't clearly see when someone should or shouldn't be dieting. Pushing a girl who's already a good 10 pounds underweight never to eat anything she likes is only going to lead her down the road where food is the enemy and starvation isn't far behind. I've personally known a few skaters with eating disorders and their coach's encouragement of it was the most disgusting part of all.

Yu-Na eliminated Rafael already, so it isn't him.

Hmm...what about Sashi Kuchiki? He's not American, he works in the general area (Torrance, Paramount...) and he's a good coach. He's not very well-known but that's never bothered Yu-Na before. It would be a bit strange culturally speaking for a Korean to go to a Japanese coach...but I can't think of anyone else. Though if we are going to go down the culturally awkward pairings, it could also be Miss Li, who works at East West?
    TD, you and I will have to agree to disagree..skating at the higher levels is 90% mental (just like golf, tennis and other sports). If you don't have it mentally, you won't be successful.

Miss Li no longer works at E/W...she has been gone for nearly 3 months..she is working for the Chinese Federation in China, developing their ladies singles skaters. So, she's out.

Sashi is a good coach and great person, but I wonder if the Japanese and Korean cultural challenges would be an issue.

We shall see.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast