Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 94
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Four years ago, it looked like Euro ladies were going to be swiped out given Slutskaya's retirement and inconsistency of Sokolova and Kostner. But they did manage to squeak out 3 GPF medals and 2 world medals in the last quad, which more or less match the results of NA ladies.
    The last North American lady to stand on the GPF podium was Joannie in 2004. Since Kimmie and Sasha were on the World podium in 2006, the only NA lady was Joannie last year.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Four years ago the European ladies (or at least Slute) could actually jump. Now the ladies discipline at Euros is judged according to how pretty the skaters are since all of them botch the majority of their planned triples .

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jersey of course!
    Posts
    997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    The last North American lady to stand on the GPF podium was Joannie in 2004. Since Kimmie and Sasha were on the World podium in 2006, the only NA lady was Joannie last year.
    True. But NA ladies have a world title and OBM under their belts which IMO more than cancel out three gpf medals.

    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Four years ago the European ladies (or at least Slute) could actually jump. Now the ladies discipline at Euros is judged according to how pretty the skaters are since all of them botch the majority of their planned triples .
    Four years ago Slute had already retired, and Meier was undermarked despite her pretty face

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    True. But NA ladies have a world title and OBM under their belts which IMO more than cancel out three gpf medals.



    Four years ago Slute had already retired, and Meier was undermarked despite her pretty face
    Didn't Meier take bronze at the GPF 4 years ago? Clearly her pretty face was good for something.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jersey of course!
    Posts
    997
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Didn't Meier take bronze at the GPF 4 years ago? Clearly her pretty face was good for something.
    Everyone apart from her and kim imploded there. It wasn't about her pretty face. I was talking about undermarking at worlds 06 and Euros.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think this was more like 2007 or 2008, but the Caroline-Mirai rivalry was hyped up a lot.

    Khokhlova and Novitski were considered the Russian #1s after the retirement of Navka and Kostomarov, but for some reason they were 'dumped' for Domnina and Shabalin after 2008.

    Fumie was still a legit world contender, and there were not hordes of people saying she should retire as there are now.
    Sorry for my statement about Khokhlova and Novitski. After some careful fact-checking, I realized I was pretty much incorrect there. I had remembered some of their results vs. Domnina and Shabalin's incorrectly. Maybe it's my mind being biased against D & S?

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Everyone apart from her and kim imploded there. It wasn't about her pretty face. I was talking about undermarking at worlds 06 and Euros.
    Yeahh I guess but I was never that impressed by Meier's skating even during her heyday. She certainly is very pretty though!

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,176
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Meier managed Euro silvers and top 6 at Worlds which is pretty much the best she could have done within this quad given she only had 3 real triples and both her 2axels and sit spins were questionable.

    It's a pity that Kostner only managed one world silver (and a very controversial one) within this quad. She really could have challeneged Kim and Asada if she was much much much much much more consistent.

    Lepisto definitely over-achieved with a Euro title and world medal with the typical 3-4 triples she did [deserved IMO but still...], and as expected Korpi and Elene G both let their appearances got the spotlight with mediocre performances throughout the whole quad.

    Looking ahead, I am hoping Lepisto improves in her jumping but have not much further hope on Kostner, Korpi or Elene G. I am thinking at least one but probably no more than two young Russian girls can make a mark on the Euro scene by 2012 but will probably be medal contenders at best at Sochi. My bet is going to be on Makarova, if any Russian lady were to medal at Worlds or Sochi. Perkova is likely to have disappeared by Sochi after missing the world team for a few years and maxing out technically and hmm... artistically this season.
    Last edited by Marco; 08-26-2010 at 08:29 AM.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    wherever they cheer for Davis/White
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    yep, the whole European hope is now in those 10-13 year old Russian girls, if they ever make it to seniors lol
    European ladies are terrible these days. You wanna compare them to Americans? better don't. The Americans can at least do some good 3-3 combinations, the only one in Europe actually capable of a 3-3 combination not being 3t-3t is Kostner on her best day. So yeah, the only thing we can do is wait for those Russian girlies to grow up

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Was the Olympics supposed to be Sasha's on a silver (golden?) platter? I remember that Worlds was supposed to be. After Olys she said she "would love to win" a world title and I knew she had just jinxed herself. But she must have thought that she could slack off even more since the main contenders weren't at World's. I just don't know why she couldn't pull it together those two times because with those titles she would have been remembered as one of the greatest skaters in history. Now she's just known as someone who talks a big game then fizzles out. The judges clearly wanted to give her the Oly title and all she had to do was stay on her feet. She still got silver which shows you where she would have placed otherwise. It would have been no contest. She had one more shot to pull off a "big one" at World's and still didn't do it, and this one was even easier since many skaters were missing. Shakes head.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    yep, the whole European hope is now in those 10-13 year old Russian girls, if they ever make it to seniors lol
    European ladies are terrible these days. You wanna compare them to Americans? better don't. The Americans can at least do some good 3-3 combinations, the only one in Europe actually capable of a 3-3 combination not being 3t-3t is Kostner on her best day. So yeah, the only thing we can do is wait for those Russian girlies to grow up
    France has some good young girls these days. Yretha Silete (turning 16 in a few days) is currently in 1st place after the SP at JGP Courcheval, ahead of Polina Shelepen, Nina Jiang, Roza Sheveleva, and Yasmin Siraj. Two other french girls, Anais Ventard (turning 13 in September) and Lenaelle Gilleron-Gory (15), are currently sitting in 5th and 7th, both with scores over 40 points. So maybe not all hope is lost for the European ladies.
    Last edited by pinky166; 08-26-2010 at 08:27 PM.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Yretha
    Prounounced Aretha?

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,222
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    33132
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Prounounced Aretha?
    God, I hope so.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    God, I hope so.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,562
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17961
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Prounounced Aretha?
    Ee-reh-tah is how I heard it announced at French Masters.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,635
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    God, I hope so.
    You never know these days...

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,661
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16524
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    yep, the whole European hope is now in those 10-13 year old Russian girls, if they ever make it to seniors lol
    European ladies are terrible these days. You wanna compare them to Americans? better don't. The Americans can at least do some good 3-3 combinations, the only one in Europe actually capable of a 3-3 combination not being 3t-3t is Kostner on her best day. So yeah, the only thing we can do is wait for those Russian girlies to grow up
    Actually, not! There were several europeans ladies having 3-3 the last season. More than the american ladies. There was a thread about it here, I am too lazy to find it, but I am pretty certain that more than 5 europeans ladies had 3-3 combo recognised last season. Ok, maybe most of them had 'only' 3T-3T, but still had more of 3-3 recognised than American ladies.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,562
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17961
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Actually, not! There were several europeans ladies having 3-3 the last season. More than the american ladies. There was a thread about it here, I am too lazy to find it, but I am pretty certain that more than 5 europeans ladies had 3-3 combo recognised last season. Ok, maybe most of them had 'only' 3T-3T, but still had more of 3-3 recognised than American ladies.
    They all did the 3T-3T:

    Elene Gedevanishvili: LP @ TEB (and 3T-3T-2T in Euros 10 LP)

    Elena Glebova: SP @ Nebelhorn; SP & LP @ SA

    Sarah Hecken: SP & LP @ Nebelhorn; SP & LP @ SA

    Alëna Leonova: LP @ Finlandia; SP @ CoC

    Laura Lepistö: SP @ Finlandia; SP @ Euros 09

    Ksenia Makarova: SP & LP @ Coupe de Nice

    Some got -GOE, but no UR calls.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,826
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Was the Olympics supposed to be Sasha's on a silver (golden?) platter? I remember that Worlds was supposed to be. After Olys she said she "would love to win" a world title and I knew she had just jinxed herself. But she must have thought that she could slack off even more since the main contenders weren't at World's. I just don't know why she couldn't pull it together those two times because with those titles she would have been remembered as one of the greatest skaters in history. Now she's just known as someone who talks a big game then fizzles out. The judges clearly wanted to give her the Oly title and all she had to do was stay on her feet. She still got silver which shows you where she would have placed otherwise. It would have been no contest. She had one more shot to pull off a "big one" at World's and still didn't do it, and this one was even easier since many skaters were missing. Shakes head.
    No. That would be Irina.

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,284
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    I wish I knew who Cupcake and the Crapova sisters are.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •