Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    does Silvia and John have some expirience in pairs coaching? I'm not really sure is this is The rigth move fot them. I hope she work on her posture and get some ballet classes, I thing she is a very powerful skater but her moves are so rough.

I wish the best for them with this change

vCash
    Another local Florida article (includes video of Denney/Barrett practicing and interview clips before they left for Champs Camp in CO): http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/r...0,195359.story
    [John] Zimmerman explained: "They're technically very sound skaters, on par with the top in the world. We have a little work to do on their relationship to each other. Some of their refinement on the musical interpretation side of things, we need to work more on that to really get them to create a package, a full unity [with] each other on the ice."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Another local Florida article (includes video of Denney/Barrett practicing and interview clips before they left for Champs Camp in CO): http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/r...0,195359.story
    Thanks for the link Sylvia!

I think John's comment is exactly what everyone has been waiting to hear! Good Luck to them!
    Last edited by loopey; 08-27-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: ETA: If you find anymore footage of the coach, please feel free to post!

vCash
    I find it astounding when you watch the video, how he manages to lift her in the air so easily. Barret is not very tall they, don`t have a big height difference.
    If you read the posts about the Mc Laughlin/Brubaker split , one could have the impression that Rockney was beginning to have issues regarding their height and weight difference. On the other hand Keauna was probably not willing to hold on to the hard weight regime etc, which is completely understandable.
    Pair skating with its technical requirements today makes it easier if the girl is "frail". Like most of the CHN or Kavaguti......
    In a long 4 Minute + free skate it is much easier for the male if he has a light girl on the 3rd lift than if you have a perfectly normal weighted and healthy girl. I know of trainers that say a female pair skater today should have a weight of 45-max 48 KG. It is difficult, because girls tend to become tall and they would be very underweight if they should always compliy to that rule
    I like Denney/Barrett very much, because they are very athletic and are good jumpers.
    Sorry they left Petersen. Must be quite a melt down in his training group in the past months.
    Last edited by grandma; 08-28-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    Thanks for the link Sylvia!

I think John's comment is exactly what everyone has been waiting to hear! Good Luck to them!
    Maybe I will be a little more optimistic now since it is obvious that John knows exactly what they need to work on. They are great jumpers, strong on the throws and he seems to lift her easily so hopefully John and his wife will be able to teach them more about performance and refinement.

vCash

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Thank you for the link!

D/B certainly picked a coach with a head on his shoulders and his priorities in order:

"I'm very excited about trying to get something different out for the Grand Prix," Zimmerman said. "I think before we even think about medals, we need to increase the level of maturity of the programs and strengthen Caydee and Jeremy's on-ice relationship. I think we can do it."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figurefan View Post
    Maybe I will be a little more optimistic now since it is obvious that John knows exactly what they need to work on. They are great jumpers, strong on the throws and he seems to lift her easily so hopefully John and his wife will be able to teach them more about performance and refinement.
    I think it will take a couple of seasons to really see a huge difference, but it can be done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandma View Post
    I find it astounding when you watch the video, how he manages to lift her in the air so easily. Barret is not very tall they, don`t have a big height difference.
    I'm surprised you are astounded by this. Denney is rather short, and while Barrett is short as well, he is kind of built like a truck. When you get to Sr Pairs and the girl grows up, there aren't many "gorilla & flea" pairs. Unless you're Kavaguti, you're probably going to grow... Even a Chinese pair girl like Zhang grew to be very tall (5'5" ish) and her body changed even though she's really thin. Shen and Zhao don't have a big height difference either. Smaller size differences are one of the challenges of Sr Pairs. It's one of the things that makes Sr Pairs harder than Jrs. You have to adjust to skating with a woman rather than a pint-sized little girl, and these guys also do a lot of strength training. I'm more concerned about something like Denney's positions in the air rather than getting the lifts up.

Ice Network article
    This pair seems rather driven. Hopefully for their sake, if it does not continue to go full speed ahead for them, they will have patience to work through it. You have no choice but to have patience because getting on a world podium quickly in pairs is just very difficult, especially if the field stays as strong as it seems like it will be. I don't think there will be a "quick fix" with this pair. At least they seem aware of their weaknesses and are putting forth a big effort to work on them...That's all you can ask of yourself. But for "major improvement", I would think they would need to do things like lock themselves in a ballet room.

vCash
    Hmmmmmmmmmm. interesting

vCash
    I can't say that this is Denney and Barrett's plan, but most pairs look at development in terms of four years. It is generally accepted that it takes about four years for a team to come together (some are much faster, some are slower), but in terms of development, most look for success in year four. So, maybe Denney and Barrett are looking for a big breakthrough in their fourth year, and didn't seem to feel any major growth since Worlds.

Locking them in a ballet room might help their posture, etc., but they need to develop these qualities on the ice. Having them depend on each other away from other friends (i.e. Amanda) might help them develop a new connection on ice. I'm for anything that helps this team develop... they have all of the tools to win medals. They just have to get the in-betweens now.

vCash

More news or drama out of Florida

Danny O'Shea and Haven Denny are no longer skating together. O'Shea has returned to Ellenton and Jim Petersen and will skate with Caroline Knoop who has been seeking a partner since her partnership from last year ended.

And Haven is back with her partner of the past 2 years Daniel Raad.

Any one like to hazard a guess of what is driving all this and whether we will have some more intrigue out of Team Denney.

vCash
    So the Haven Denney/Daniel Raad references in the 2 local Florida articles I read online recently may not have been typos after all...

I can confirm that Daniel O'Shea has teamed up with Caroline Knoop in Ellenton. I believe he also will skate Junior Men out of South Atlantics.

Best wishes to all the Florida pair teams as they move forward into this new season!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-03-2010 at 01:03 AM.

vCash
    I am happy to wait and see what John can do. I like him as a person and wish him well in the coaching area. He may have something special to offer.

Here is my only confusion - he has said that he may also balance this with going out on SOI with Kyoko? Is that even reasonable when you're coaching at an elite level and your co-coach (Sylvia) has never skated pairs?

vCash
    From Icenetwork article:
    "It wouldn't be as core cast members, but if there is some potential where we could do a couple of weekend shows -- I think their schedule is going to be different this season -- we might consider it. Certainly Caydee and Jeremy are my priority, but if we could get a few shows in, that would be fun.
    "
    I don't see anything to worry about, he talks about weekend shows.

vCash
    I see...

vCash
    Forget the connection to each other, they need to work on their edges, footworks, inbetweens, etc. I hope John has someone like Judy Blumberg lined up to work with them on their MITF on a regular basis.

On a superificial note, I think the look of the pair on the ice will improve if Barret can slim down his waist and maybe stay away from one piece jump suite.

vCash
    Can someone speculate or does anyone know what level O'Shea/Knoop will compete at Novice or Junior) and out of what Section....implications for all sections at both levels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    On a superificial note, I think the look of the pair on the ice will improve if Barret can slim down his waist and maybe stay away from one piece jump suite.

I think this emoticon means: I can't believe you said that!

Awaiting Validation
    vCash

pairs

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysonedge View Post
    Can someone speculate or does anyone know what level O'Shea/Knoop will compete at Novice or Junior) and out of what Section....implications for all sections at both levels
    Danny and Caroline will most likely skate out of Easterns both are junior pairs skaters.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast