vCash

Tips on buying used skates?

Dear All,

I am hoping to get some advices on finding used skates. Seemingly I grew out of my second-hand Jackson Classique and need to find a pair of slightly more advanced boots that support ISI FS4 loop / flip jumps.

I do not have budget to buy new... Rainbo in my area recommended Jackson Elite (or Elite Plus) 6B but does not have a good used pair in stock. I will call in frequently to check.

In the meanwhile, where else could I look for used skates in addition to asking skaters / coaches I know? My rink does not seem to have a skates swap. Just set up an eBay search alert, any other sources I should try? I vaguely remember there is a website for swapping used skating goods (with the option to support clubs) but can't seem to find it now.

This link mostly recommends Riedell, Gam, and Risport for ISI FS4&5. Guess I could look into them as well if I run across a good pair.

Your opinions on skates-shopping are truly appreciated!

vCash
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things and asking all the right questions.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Thanks Aussie Willy!
    Now I am worried if I will be overbooted in Jackson Elite! Seems it's a really stiff model to support double jumps.
    Will I be better off with Jackson Competitors or maybe Premiere since I don't expect to try axels anytime soon?

vCash
    You could try the skate exchange for used skates online. I bought my blades there last year and things worked out very well.

http://www.sk8stuff2.com/m_sk8exch.asp

Also, some websites/pro shops have their past inventory on clearance sale. In case you have a big proshop somewhere close to your rink, you could try calling them adn asking about their clearance selection.

http://www.sharperedgeskates.com/ribocl.html

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    http://www.myskatingmall.com/

This is the one Ryan Jahnke set up.

vCash
    I hope you get a chance to actually try on each pair before committing to buy! It's so hard to tell if they are broken down, if they will fit correctly, etc. Since each skate brand has completely different sizing, it will help to ask the seller his/her size and width in regular street shoes.

vCash
    I eventually decided to buy used from the pro shop. There is probably too much uncertainty with used skates in terms of sizing and condition.
    Also had a little talk with boot fitter. Apparently *used, already broke in* Jackson Elite should be fine for me, he suggests Competitor / Premiere only if I buy new.
    Oh well, will be calling the pro shop a lot!
    Thank you everyone for your tips!