Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Discrimination against fat girls

No Fat Girls Allowed

I might have to protest--hmmmmm, I could go up there and sit on someone.
    Boi Bumba!!!

vCash
    That model is not fat. She's hot IMO.
    I wonder if they mean morbidly fat.

vCash
    Anyone ever notice that the group that seems to have the most problem with overweight girls is overweight guys? What's up with that? Most of the overweight guys (and I'm talking about seriously overweight, not pleasantly plump) I know are only attracted to toothpicks--like if they have a skinny girlfriend/wife, they can deny their own weight.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Anyone ever notice that the group that seems to have the most problem with overweight girls is overweight guys? What's up with that? Most of the overweight guys (and I'm talking about seriously overweight, not pleasantly plump) I know are only attracted to toothpicks--like if they have a skinny girlfriend/wife, they can deny their own weight.
    I think both fit and overweight guys can be discriminating that way.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Apparently they meant it as a joke. There are club nights meant for big girls and their admirers, and there are those who haven't progressed beyond an Al Bundy mentality.

vCash
    One of the cruelest games the sailors used to play (I never participated - promise - too busy dealing with my own sexual issues) was a game called "Pigs for Bucks". A bunch of sailors would go into a club, and anyone who spotted a fat woman and got her a drink, everyone would have to give him a dollar. Or something like that. It apparently was a very popular game in San Diego bars frequented by military personnel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    That model is not fat. She's hot IMO.
    I wonder if they mean morbidly fat.
    She's not fat, by any normal standard. But, by typical runway model standards she is. It is truly sad and really screws up young women, when someone that lovely is called fat.

I also get when I see plus sized models who are a US size 12. That is not plus size. Not even literally. Plus size does not even start below size 16.

Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Apparently they meant it as a joke. There are club nights meant for big girls and their admirers, and there are those who haven't progressed beyond an Al Bundy mentality.
    What a funny joke. I always love cruelty = funny. Not directing this at you Jot the Dot, just reacting to the link as you did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post

What a funny joke. I always love cruelty = funny. Not directing this at you Jot the Dot, just reacting to the link as you did.
    I didn't post that as an agreement with the organisers, I thought my reference to the Al Bundy mentality indicated this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    I didn't post that as an agreement with the organisers, I thought my reference to the Al Bundy mentality indicated this.
    Your reference did indicate that. That's why I said I was reacting to the link as you did (the same way you did). You misunderstood, I was agreeing with you.
    I hope you didn't think I meant that I like cruelty = funny, I was being facetious.

vCash
    I hate to say it, but as an ex-Montrealer, I would not be surprised if this really was a club event...even if they say it was a joke. Sadly, what is considered 'fat' there is approximately size 8. I know this because I could rarely buy trendy clothes there because sizes seemed to stop at L (maybe an 8?) or perhaps XL (size 10?) and while I lived there I was size 14+. I didn't bother going out to clubs because I stood out like a pink and purple striped elephant and was always given a wide berth to move my wide load.

vCash
    I also get when I see plus sized models who are a US size 12. That is not plus size. Not even literally. Plus size does not even start below size 16.
    I know - my mom is a size 12-14 and is hardly what anyone would call plus-size. I was actually acquainted with a plus-size model many years ago and was surprised when she told me, because there was nothing "plus" about her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    One of the cruelest games the sailors used to play (I never participated - promise - too busy dealing with my own sexual issues) was a game called "Pigs for Bucks". A bunch of sailors would go into a club, and anyone who spotted a fat woman and got her a drink, everyone would have to give him a dollar. Or something like that. It apparently was a very popular game in San Diego bars frequented by military personnel.
    Free drinks for meeeee!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    It kind of feels like the standard is lower for guys just in general. Plus guys have other things which make them attractive I guess, good jobs etc. I remember though being pretty annoyed when I one of my brothers who is a bit overweight talking badly about girls who were slightly overweight. Feeling that my brother didn't have room to talk. In fairness I once heard a girl who was morbidly obese talking about how a guy should make an effort to take care of themselves?

In general I think if you want someone who takes care of themselves, you should take care of yourself. I don't have a problem though with those who do want people who make an effort to take care of themselves, because it IS a longterm health issue. But I just wish for women especially the standards weren't so ridiculous. When the ideal standard for a woman is emaciated that's not right.
    Last edited by bek; 08-22-2010 at 04:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Free drinks for meeeee!
    LOL, it's pretty cringeworthy looking back. I do hope the guys I saw playing that game have matured a little bit...

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    She's not fat, by any normal standard. But, by typical runway model standards she is. It is truly sad and really screws up young women, when someone that lovely is called fat.
    She's a little too done up for me to call lovely, but she is quite hot in that pic.

Psh, runway models are freaks and that entire industry is ridiculous. I'm clearly underweight and I'm still pretty sure I would be told to lose another 10 lbs off my thighs to do runway.

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    It kind of feels like the standard is lower for guys just in general. Plus guys have other things which make them attractive I guess, good jobs etc. I remember though being pretty annoyed when I one of my brothers who is a bit overweight talking badly about girls who were slightly overweight. Feeling that my brother didn't have room to talk. In fairness I once heard a girl who was morbidly obese talking about how a guy should make an effort to take care of themselves?

In general I think if you want someone who takes care of themselves, you should take care of yourself. I don't have a problem though with those who do want people who make an effort to take care of themselves, because it IS a longterm health issue. But I just wish for women especially the standards weren't so ridiculous. When the ideal standard for a woman is emaciated that's not right.
    I feel that being emaciated isn't enough either - you have to be emaciated AND have curves. Nobody can win, aside from the women surgery-ed up like Barbie.

But not all men are like this. In fact, I don't think most men are that picky. Maybe I just don't hang with those types of guys.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Something that both horrified and astounded me was a few years ago, a popular Australian magazine held a readers' beauty competition for 'plus sized' women.

When the photos were published, 90% of the entrants fell within a healthy BMI range.

How others can shape our self perception sometimes can be a dangerous thing indeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    But not all men are like this. In fact, I don't think most men are that picky. Maybe I just don't hang with those types of guys.
    Genetically, ITA. I think different guys like different types of women. What I think happens often though is that some guys are worried what their friends think, or what their society at large might think. So they choose a woman that they think will impress other people even if she is not to his true taste.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    The article called her "full figured" as well as plus sized. IMO, fuller figure is a better description. She's not plus sized and she's not fat, but she is curvy. I think she looks great

It's all relative. That might be the case in the US, but in Australia, plus size starts from a 16 which is a US 12, and while not morbidly obese, it is a larger size. Plus size in Europe starts from 42, which is also a US 12. With the average size so much smaller in Europe than in the US, US 12 does seem plus size to them.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Genetically, ITA. I think different guys like different types of women. What I think happens often though is that some guys are worried what their friends think, or what their society at large might think. So they choose a woman that they think will impress other people even if she is not to his true taste.
    I agree. I remember back some years ago, a study was published ranking how different men were perceived by total strangers based purely on photos. They showed ugly men with ugly wives/girlfriends. They showed good looking men with good looking women. Etc.-all the variations.

The male that most people found the least likely to be successful was the good looking guy with the ugly female. The average looking guy with the good looking woman scored highest. I'll try to find that somewhere....

This is interesting:

http://www.forbes.com/2005/05/05/cx_...bizbasics.html
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 08-22-2010 at 12:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Psh, runway models are freaks and that entire industry is ridiculous. I'm clearly underweight and I'm still pretty sure I would be told to lose another 10 lbs off my thighs to do runway.
    Sadly, many of them are ill, because they are not naturally that thin. When I was in my mid 20's I weighed about 118 at 5'10, and I was chubby compared to many of the models I worked with and had come in for go sees.

I feel that being emaciated isn't enough either - you have to be emaciated AND have curves. Nobody can win, aside from the women surgery-ed up like Barbie.
    Yes, a tooth pick with boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    The article called her "full figured" as well as plus sized. IMO, fuller figure is a better description. She's not plus sized and she's not fat, but she is curvy. I think she looks great
    Full figured is a nicer way to say it. But most women recognize it as code for overweight. Size 12 is not.

It's all relative. That might be the case in the US, but in Australia, plus size starts from a 16 which is a US 12, and while not morbidly obese, it is a larger size. Plus size in Europe starts from 42, which is also a US 12. With the average size so much smaller in Europe than in the US, US 12 does seem plus size to them.
    The thing is that size 12/14 is pretty average and not overweight. Size 0/2 is not natural for most women over 17. In order to be at that weight, they have to make a serious effort. Not saying all do and not saying necessarily eating disorder, but it is not natural. It is also hard to gauge sizes from US to Australia to Europe. US sizes have changed in the past few years. It seems the smaller sizes have gotten bigger and the larger sizes have gotten smaller. As size 2 became more like a 4, 4, like a 6, they added sizes 0, 00, 000. As to S, M, L. Smalls are more like mediums, and larges are also more like mediums. I find it hard to think of a European 12 as plus size. I bought a blouse from this British company the other day. Allsaints Spitalfields (weird name) is now being carried in some Bloomingdales. I normally wear a small or a 2/4 on top. I needed a 10 in that brand. I am, in no way, near a plus size, so...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast