Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia. Wow that sounds exciting!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Won't there be a minimum score for the Olympics then, Eislauffan?
    Yes, there is a minimum score, but it is not too high.

Alexander König who coached them in Oberstdorf, told me that they are coming back to Oberstdorf to prepare for the Nebelhorn Trophy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin are assisting Doug Ladret in the coaching.

Olga BESTANDIGOVA / Ilhan MANSIZ (TUR) are scheduled to compete/test out their programs in a club competition exhibition in Los Angeles (Golden West) on August 30-31. The competition is supposed to be live streamed - a link will be posted eventually in the TV Alerts forum and a competition thread started in Kiss and Cry for Golden West.
    yeah, voidy pair will be seen before nht! thanks so much. can't wait to see the results of this experience.

vCash
    Holy crap I've JUST put two-and-two together and realized who he is, thanks to a Chinese sports news piece and its 1000+ comments from soccer fans (didn't remember him by name before)! Now please excuse me while I unleash my 2002 World Cup-obsessed fangirl self for a moment ... this dude was a total baller (lame pun intented) and sooo cute back then Awesome rainbow trick ftw!

Major props to he and his girlfriend for making this multi-year committment and really following through on their dream. Chances of them making the Olys must be slim, but I've got my fingers crossed for them and wish them the best of luck

vCash
    I saw on their FB that they're up to double Sals and triple throws. No idea if they can make that work in an actual program, but if they can, they might have an outside shot at qualifying. I hope they'll skate well, regardless of the outcome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I hope they'll skate well, regardless of the outcome.
    ^This. And, I hope they try to get to Worlds and at least skate at Europeans regardless of whether or not they make it to Sochi. He could draw a lot of positive attention to the sport in Turkey and attract sponsors that might be able to help promising skaters in the future. Lots of upsides to competing this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    ^This. And, I hope they try to get to Worlds and at least skate at Europeans regardless of whether or not they make it to Sochi. He could draw a lot of positive attention to the sport in Turkey and attract sponsors that might be able to help promising skaters in the future. Lots of upsides to competing this season.
    I doubt they can manage the minimum score for Worlds at their current technical level - remember, it's higher than for the Olympics. Euros might be doable, however.

Does she have Turkish citizenship?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I doubt they can manage the minimum score for Worlds at their current technical level - remember, it's higher than for the Olympics. Euros might be doable, however.

Does she have Turkish citizenship?
    That's why I said try to get there . She said she was cleared by ISU to represent Turkey on heir FB page and based on the comments it sounded like that was the last missing piece. Maybe she was already granted Turkish citizenship? Or it's contingent on qualifying? Either way, all other competitions should be fair game now -provided they meet the min TS requirements.

vCash
    I predict: Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara (JPN), Tatiana Novik & Andrei Novoselov (ROU if Russia release them), Stacey Kemp & David King (GBR), So Hyang Pak & Nam I Song (PRK did they ever got out of the country?), Miriam Ziegler & Severin Kiefer (AUT) to make the olympic cut.

Very curious to see what they can do though.

vCash
    Julia Lavrentieva/Yuri Rudyk skated really well at 2013 Euros and if they can replicate that, I'd pick them for an Olympic spot (128 combined total). Not sure how close to that form they are, though.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    I predict: Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara (JPN), Tatiana Novik & Andrei Novoselov (ROU if Russia release them), Stacey Kemp & David King (GBR), So Hyang Pak & Nam I Song (PRK did they ever got out of the country?), Miriam Ziegler & Severin Kiefer (AUT) to make the olympic cut. .
    That's five teams. There are only four spots for pairs.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I predict: Narumi Takahashi & Ryuichi Kihara (JPN), Tatiana Novik & Andrei Novoselov (ROU if Russia release them), Stacey Kemp & David King (GBR), So Hyang Pak & Nam I Song (PRK did they ever got out of the country?), Miriam Ziegler & Severin Kiefer (AUT) to make the olympic cut.

Very curious to see what they can do though.
    with ziegler totally new to pairs? same for the japanese man

we will see

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    That's five teams. There are only four spots for pairs.
    That would be surprising to see Russia release a pair team before Sochi. Novik/Novoselov are very good and would take one of the spots if released.

vCash
    That's why I said try to get there . She said she was cleared by ISU to represent Turkey on heir FB page and based on the comments it sounded like that was the last missing piece. Maybe she was already granted Turkish citizenship? Or it's contingent on qualifying? Either way, all other competitions should be fair game now -provided they meet the min TS requirements.
    Cleared by the ISU isn't the same thing as being eligible for the Olympics though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Cleared by the ISU isn't the same thing as being eligible for the Olympics though.
    If only citizenship were the only thing standing in the way of the Olympics .

vCash
    If only citizenship were the only thing standing in the way of the Olympics .
    But as many teams from the past will tell you- it doesn't matter how good you are if you don't have the citizenship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    But as many teams from the past will tell you- it doesn't matter how good you are if you don't have the citizenship.
    That's very true. Takahasi/Tran were the latest casualty in that war of attrition. The point I was trying to make is that for B/M, the Olympics are a good good way to attract attention, but I think they would do more good for the sport in Turkey by competing at more events, like Europeans and trying to get the min TS for Worlds. Think increased visibility for pairs skating and all the sponsorship he could attract is more of a win-win than a long-shot Olympic appearance.

vCash
    Martini & Kiefer split??? I wasn't aware of that

vCash
    Oh, I wasn't aware that Miriam Ziegler turned to pairs! I was so sorry not to see her compete in singles after her great Junior days - it is good to see that she is not lost for the sport!

vCash
    New Olga Beständigova/Ilhan Mansiz interview before Nebelhorn Trophy: http://www.figureskating-online.com/...va-mansiz.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast