Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

vCash
    No one contests that it is hard - I am an adult skater too and I know how hard every tiny little thing is. The question is if they belong in international competitions or if they embarrass themselves somehow and should have gone to Adult competitions.

To tell the truth - just to know how much is possible with endless money and coaching time - I am very glad to see what a skater can achieve at a maximum if they start this late. It is just interesting.

But I doubt that he wanted to be a guinea pig.

vCash
    This is interesting to read after the fact. Never even knew about this team when I watched them at Nepela. Just that they were from Turkey. But this thread has enlighted me! Now I know why he seemed nervous and like he was going to drop her now & then, I thought it was just inexperience, and never knew he was a soccer player before, et al...

vCash
    The Oct. 30th edition of the "Inside Edge" blog leads off with the latest on İlhan Mansız and Olga Beständigová: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...rns-to-skating
    Excerpt:
    It's one thing to say you're going to switch sports and quite another to actually do it, but Beständigová and Mansiz went through with the plan and competed at the Nebelhorn Trophy and Ondrej Nepela Memorial this fall.

The team finished 19th at Nebelhorn and didn't earn an Olympic spot, but they haven't given up. Prior to Nebelhorn and Nepela, they had trained with Doug Ladret, Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin in Arizona. They are now back in Oberstdorf, Germany, working with Alex König.

"Our plan is to get enough points for the long program to qualify for the Europeans and possibly for worlds," Beständigová said. "We are planning to compete at the Golden Spin of Zagreb. Of course, we didn't make it to the Olympics, but we proved that you can learn new stuff and compete at the highest level, even if you are older. We got enough points in Bratislava (at Ondrej Nepela) in the short program to qualify for the Europeans, and that shows we were never joking. Ilhan is very talented, and I always believed in him."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    german press release of today

http://www.sport.de/medien/wintermix...riere-auf.html

at nrw-trophy knut schubert confirmed, that ilhan mansiz and olga bestandigova have retired from figure skating.
    the pair has trained the last few weeks under schubert in berlin but realized, that the gap to the other pairs is too big and therefore retired.

m/b competed this year in oberstdorf and bratislava

vCash
    I thought that's what would happen given they weren't entered to any November or December events, therefore had no chance of making the minimum scores for Euros. Well I can't say I am surprised, it's something that should have been obvious from the beginning. Still, it's a shame.

vCash
    Well, In the end, no miracles happened. But they should be proud nonetheless. (They did earn the short programme minimum for euros I think, and of course they competed at nelbelhorn and completed what they set out to do ...) there's nothing to be embarrassed about or to be ashamed of. Bestandigova, in particular is a rockstar skating so beautifully after all these years away from competitive ice!

vCash

But at least they managed to get the sp tech minimum for Europeans in their second attempt, that's quite an accomplishment, too!

vCash
    I think they should be very proud of what they accomplished. Most people wouldn't have the guts to get out there much less do as well as they did.

vCash
    I thought they will go to Euros. And yes they should be proud of all the work they have done together

vCash
    Interview with Beständigová/Mansiz + update from Olga about their plans:

Olga Beständigová and Ilhan Mansiz: "Our message is to encourage people to chase their dreams"
    http://absoluteskating.com/index.php...andigovamansiv

So far we’ve been working hard without a break. We couldn’t afford to have a few weeks off like the other pairs do after the season, because Ilhan still had a lot to learn. The hard work has affected our bodies and it was also tough mentally. We realized that we needed a break. We are not quitting, and if we did so we wouldn’t announce it through a coach. We will still continue with off-ice training, running, cycling. We want to get ready for the next season. I think we are on a good path. In the short program we earned the technical minimum for Europeans and success with the long program is just a matter of experience. What made us angry was the statement of the coach who said we retired because we couldn’t match the other pairs. This is absolutely not true, our story was never about being compared with the others, but about chasing our dreams.

vCash
    Interesting!! Go Olga and Ilhan!! :-)

I love the bit when they start arguing

"Ilhan: Well, I can easily get another partner! Younger, more flexible…
    Olga: It was me who struggled with you through this whole crap! I'm not giving up! And I'm not going anywhere!"

vCash
    It sounds like they didn't communicate their plans to take a break to their coach all that well. They knew they wanted to take a break, but it's possible Schubert was in the dark about it.

vCash
    Oh wow, that's a really unexpected twist! So I guess they think that they have a better chance of meeting the minimum scores next season that this season.

I wish them all the best but given they are both 'skating old,' I am not sure their bodies will be able to cope.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 12-11-2013 at 10:37 PM.

vCash
    I know they mentioned both Europeans and Worlds in the interview, but I'm not too optimistic about getting the TS required for Worlds any time soon. Europeans LP would be doable, but I think the consistency and ability to deliver all the elements they 'can do in practice' in a program will only come with practice. I do agree with Ziggy it will be a race against time to try and get there before injuries catch up to them.
    Last edited by ioana; 12-11-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678