Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Swan

vCash
    I remember seeing The Company....I thought parts of it were great and other parts were very *yawn* ...I'm a fan of Neve Campbell(where the crap is she lately?) so I wanted to watch it. Nice movie, but not great imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I remember seeing The Company....I thought parts of it were great and other parts were very *yawn* ...I'm a fan of Neve Campbell(where the crap is she lately?) so I wanted to watch it. Nice movie, but not great imo.
    I have the DVD of "The Company" but could never sit through the entire thing, LOL.

Neve is/was filming Scream 4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I have the DVD of "The Company" but could never sit through the entire thing, LOL.

Neve is/was filming Scream 4.
    I bought it too. I have yet to make it through that movie though I wish I could.

vCash
    I also have The Company and have yet to watch the whole thing. I do love the original Center Stage though. It's so bad, but so good.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I was always told by dancers from the old USSR that the coach-ballerina relationship was important for many reasons. The coach being a great dancer of the same sex who is now retired and teaching. One reason for this relationship was to properly hand down the nuances and small details that elevate Russian classical dance over many other traditions, especially in regard to the great Russian ballets. It doesn't mean cookie-cutter dancers. It just ensures that the depth of artistry survives. They didn't have video equipment and centuries of film readily accessible to study. Besides, working side by side with someone who has lived the roles is different from watching a video!

My daughter was corp de ballet for Swan Lake, Giselle, and Don Quixote in a professional company run by a Romanian male dancer, a former classmate of Baryshnikov-Kirov training. This was about 20 years ago....but he brought in a woman coach (former Zagreb IBC winner) to drill the proper stylistic nuances into our corp. Just a small tilt of the head makes a tremendous difference. And there is a great deal of emotional content in all of it that you just don't get from most American companies, anyway.

I absolutely shudder when some pre-professional little company puts on one of these ballets. It's a desecration. It's like playing Beethoven on a kazoo.

Then again, Russians couldn't tap dance worth a darn...
    Last edited by Holley Calmes; 09-11-2010 at 12:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I also have The Company and have yet to watch the whole thing. I do love the original Center Stage though. It's so bad, but so good.
    lol same here, I love Center Stage.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Did anyone go see the movie? I want to see it but it isn't playing here. Does anyone know when it will get a wide release?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Did anyone go see the movie? I want to see it but it isn't playing here. Does anyone know when it will get a wide release?
    The link worked ok for me but I changed it anyway. This one is IMDB so it should be low risk.
    Dec. 22.
    http://www.imdb.com/news/ni6022460/
    Last edited by LuckyCharm; 12-12-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Link changed.

vCash
    Don't click on the link above posted by LuckyCharm - my Norton just blocked a high threat virus shortly after I clicked on it.

vCash
    I want to see this because of the dance aspect, but when Natalie reports that she was "crosstraining with swimming" this kind of loses it for me for the credibility factor.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Saw the movie today. It is seriously fecked up and not for the squeamish, but pretty cool. It had me feeling tingly for about two hours after it ended. I'd definitely recommend it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    Anyone else looking forward to Black Swan with Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaI1XOB-bs
    I read some opinions along the lines of: "beautiful but empty."

Still, Aronofsky is a really interesting director and all of his films to date have been excellent, so I'm definitely going to see this and make my own mind up (whenever it gets released over here ).

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I kind of want to see it, though the WSJ reviewer seemed a bit...mixed. Like s/he kind of liked it, but was disturbed by it, but that was kind of why it worked, etc. All of which may actually be the point. Overall it was a positive review, though.

Re the height thing, yeah, most are shorter than you think (except, obviously, NYCB and even then.) My cousin really couldn't swing a ballet career, despite being good (she wound up teaching for a few years) because she's 5'7" in her stocking feet and for the companies she tried for, she was just too tall en pointe, and she wasn't SO great she would make it at something like NYCB. 5'2 or 5'3" is going to be a pretty good height for most male partners, I would think, as a lot of them strike me as being on the shorter side (especially some of the Russians!)

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    I want to see this because of the dance aspect, but when Natalie reports that she was "crosstraining with swimming" this kind of loses it for me for the credibility factor.
    I'm not familiar with how long ballet dancers train each day, but maybe she needed more/different conditioning if they were experiencing long shooting days. Especially if they were doing the elaborate dance scenes all day for days on end...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am not a big fan of Aronofsky--too OTT IMO, so after reading some reviews I think I will wait to Netflix this one after all.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    My cousin really couldn't swing a ballet career, despite being good (she wound up teaching for a few years) because she's 5'7" in her stocking feet and for the companies she tried for, she was just too tall en pointe, and she wasn't SO great she would make it at something like NYCB. 5'2 or 5'3" is going to be a pretty good height for most male partners, I would think, as a lot of them strike me as being on the shorter side (especially some of the Russians!)
    I remember another thread where some professionally trained ballet dancers on this board said many ballet companies screen for height, and someone under 5'6" doesn't have a chance for the most part (I *think* that was the height mentioned).

It's shorter dancers that are at a disadvantage because they don't produce the same lines as taller dancers.

ETA: Here are the posts I was thinking of:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...2&postcount=57
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...3&postcount=65

Note that in the second post, someone miscalculated 168cm cited to be 5'4" when in fact it's 5'6"
    Last edited by agalisgv; 12-13-2010 at 04:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am not a big fan of Aronofsky--too OTT IMO, so after reading some reviews I think I will wait to Netflix this one after all.
    I saw it today and enjoyed it. It definitely is over-the-top and some parts made me flat-out laugh, but I think you'll enjoy it if you treat it as camp. I thought Natalie Portman was awesome.

vCash
    I thought the movie sucked. The lesbian plot was over advertised. It really had little to do with the film and the part about her even hallucinating becoming an actual swan on stage in her defining moment as the lead was laughable.

vCash
    I saw the movie today and thought it was fabulous. I kind of went into it looking at it as a non-slasher Suspiria. I love Aronofsky's style, so that could have something to do with the fact that I loved the movie.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I haven't seen it yet but even though I find Natalie herself to be kind of at times I think she is gorgeous and with the right material an excellent actress. After years of misteps with the films she's chosen I'm glad she seems to have found the right vehicle to show off her acting talent. I'd love to see her nominated for an Oscar the way some say she will be.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast