Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Swan

vCash
    I saw it this afternoon and during the finale, I thought, "Well this is epocal." NYC theater audiences feast off of those kinds of events, like Moose Murders and Breakfast At Tiffany's and other legendary Broadway disasters.

As far as the movie itself went, it would have been twice as good with half as much.

vCash
    I managed to see it on New Year's Day and I just loved it. It was stunning. I interpreted it as the artist's obsession to achieve perfection, no matter the cost. I don't think it'll win many awards other than lead actress honors for Natalie Portman (who was just brilliant) because it's just too dark. However, it certainly deserves to.

on my couch awaitin' Figure Skating season
    vCash
    As an aside, last night, Saturday Night Live did a brilliant parody of the movie, with Jim Carrey in Mila Kunis's part, of all things. They even used parts of the dialogue pretty much verbatim. Only shows it's now on the way to high camp.

vCash

vCash
    OMG Jim Carrey is hysterical! Cheri did a great job of keeping a straight face!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    That skit had me dying laughing, lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    ugh....it's hard to imagine that Jim Carrey used to be so brilliant at physical comedy

I think the sketch was funny; just Jim Carrey wasn't.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    I couldn't get the video via the link for some reason, but I got to see it on You Tube.
    Too funny!

vCash
    The sketch was funny in the first 20 seconds...after that, it just got lame.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    ugh....it's hard to imagine that Jim Carrey used to be so brilliant at physical comedy

I think the sketch was funny; just Jim Carrey wasn't.
    I thought it was opposite....I thought the sketch was awful, and if Jim Carrey hadn't been in it, it would have been even worse.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    My interpretations of the film have been more on target with DBZ's and Bev Johnston's thinking. I think this film is one big internal physical, mental, and emotional journey. Her regimented life of discipline filled with sacrifice and her quest to achieve perfection upon being named the Swan Queen completely focked her mind. I feel that this is the best, most fascinating film I've seen this year and I believe Natalie Portman is definitely deserving of a Best Actress Academy Award. Brilliant!

I have been wondering what insights other viewers have taken from the film and here are interpretations on yahoo answers that I think hit the mark:

Spoiler

Last edited by museksk8r; 01-10-2011 at 05:03 PM.

vCash
    I loved it, so much. Portman was acting with every fiber of her being. Such an incredibly challenging role.

I can't do spoiler tags, but I almost burst into tears at the part where..., and that is so unlike me. Such a brilliant portrayal of the quest for perfection and what it does to you.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I loved it, so much. Portman was acting with every fiber of her being. Such an incredibly challenging role.

I can't do spoiler tags, but I almost burst into tears at the part where..., and that is so unlike me. Such a brilliant portrayal of the quest for perfection and what it does to you.
    you open with [ spoiler ] and end with [ /spoiler ] (remove the spaces to get it to work.)

vCash
    Sometimes I walk out of a movie and I can't properly verbalize why I liked or disliked it...or, more importantly, why I thought it was good or not good. In such a case I look for the right movie review that sums it up for me. Found it: "high art trash"
    I'm actually generally tolerant of movies and enjoy almost everything I see, but this one rubbed me the wrong way. I actually -- strangely -- almost walked out.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2836545.story

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    I thought it was a hoot!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Sometimes I walk out of a movie and I can't properly verbalize why I liked or disliked it...or, more importantly, why I thought it was good or not good. In such a case I look for the right movie review that sums it up for me. Found it: "high art trash"
    I'm actually generally tolerant of movies and enjoy almost everything I see, but this one rubbed me the wrong way. I actually -- strangely -- almost walked out.

This is exactly how I envision this film and exactly why I am staying away.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post

Maybe I'm a little slow, but I'm not exactly sure what this review is supposed to be saying, other than the reviewer doesn't like the director.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It says a great deal more than that IMO.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    From all I've read and heard about the film, it seems like the part about "stacking the deck" sounds about right.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast