Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Swan

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    I saw Benjamin Millepied dance with the New York City Ballet, and he was excellent. I have to wonder about their long term prospects, though. In an interview, Millepied said, and I believe these were the exact words, "For me, dance is it," and he spoke about how all he wants to do is devote his life to dance--as a dancer, choreographer, and eventually a dance company director. It was almost obsessive the way he spoke of dancing--characteristic of many great dancers.

I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem they have much in common other than their work in a dance movie.
    I think that's indeed the case for many accomplished people, whether it be artists or businesspeople - their work is #1 in their life. How the couple in such a relationship handles that is always individual. For instance, I never got the feeling that my parents would sacrifice career prospects for each other. It helped that my mom wasn't as focused on her career as my dad, but my dad would often be overseas for months at a time and my mom's ego never took a hit so that's why their relationship is still ongoing. I think the reason why many actor or celebrity relationships end is because of the battling egos, not because of work obligations.

As long as they can surround their child with love and support, whether together or separate, I have nothing else to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Utterly charming! I thought more of Natalie than that........ Can't everyone just keep their pants on....at least until they know each other a bit?
    Who wants to do a feminist critique on this statement?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I'm going to be staying away from the fracas.

Although I will say that I know of two guys who married their wives within a year of their first date. Nobody's pregnant yet AFAIK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    It's anti-feminist to keep your pants on?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

...Her?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    It's anti-feminist to keep your pants on?
    Not at all, it is, however, anti-feminist to slut shame someone who doesn't.

Honestly, if the announcement were just that she was engaged to this guy I doubt people would be saying they thought more of her than that.

vCash
    Precisely. It's anti-feminist to act as if "keeping your pants on" is the only acceptable choice for a woman. Not to mention, they've been together for a year. I didn't know that Natalie had to wait for the entire nation to take a vote on the appropriate time for her to have sex with her boyfriend. Natalie is a woman with her own agency and she has the right to make her own choices for her own body. One choice is not inherently better than the other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    I can't believe she's choosing to settle down with the guy who dumped (or some say cheated) his longtime girlfriend for her shortly starting to work on the Black Swan production. The guy is sleezy.
    Benjamin Millepied is a bit of a sleaze, I have to agree. He's definitely looking to accomplish a kind of once-in-a-generation crossover star thing à la Mikhail Baryshnikov and being married to a movie star like Natalie Portman is certainly a step in the right direction. Honestly though, he's a good dancer (not Baryshnikov-good, certainly) but I've felt for a few years now that's he's very overrated as a choreographer.

And yeah, Millepied was in a serious, live-in, long-term (3+ years, I think) relationship with ABT ballerina Isabella Boylston when he met Natalie about a year ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Benjamin Millepied is a bit of a sleaze, I have to agree. He's definitely looking to accomplish a kind of once-in-a-generation crossover star thing à la Mikhail Baryshnikov and being married to a movie star like Natalie Portman is certainly a step in the right direction. Honestly though, he's a good dancer (not Baryshnikov-good, certainly) but I've felt for a few years now that's he's very overrated as a choreographer.

And yeah, Millepied was in a serious, live-in, long-term (3+ years, I think) relationship with ABT ballerina Isabella Boylston when he met Natalie about a year ago.
    It's hard to say nothing fishy went on considering a year ago, he gladly did an interview talking about summer vacation with Isabella, while coming up with choreography for a piece commissioned by ABT for their Fall season. As I'm sure you know, that said piece was choreographed with Isabella as the lead for the first cast. A month after the short fall season, it was revealed that Ben and Natalie were dating. Coincidence? To my own understanding, I've heard Isabella having danced with his small troupe prior to that.

I think he's quite overrated too. I've seen samples of his works and the full rendition of his newest one for ABT. I thought it was I notice that he uses a lot of repetition in his composition. I'm no expert on ballet and only started to get into it a year ago but I just don't see what the big deal is with his work. His fall commission was three parts, with an agonizingly and forgettable pas de deux. I only liked the third act, mostly because of Daniil Simkin's high flying choreography.

If anything, I thought the current artist-in-residence, Alexei Ratmansky is better at composition.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have to post this snark from SFGate's Dish regarding Portman's announcement:
    The Millipieds can't wait to hear the pitter patter of many little feet...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Are those chickens goose stepping?
    I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be a Russian gathering or a Soviet gathering. The birds have a daily gathering where they sing songs, they have frequent parades and shows, there's a General bird/high-ranking dignitary.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I just saw it. It was fabulous. I loved it. Natalie was amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Natalie Portman is pregnant and engaged:

http://www.people.com/people/article...453228,00.html

I'll borrow one of the six lines that her betrothed said in the movie when

Spoiler

: "What the fcuk?!"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am going to see the movie today at 2:00!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    From what my mother told me (and my grandmother said this too, though both waited a few years after marriage) first babies used to often be "a bit premature" and yet just as big as a full term baby. I think the only difference now is people have no qualms about announcing it, rather than hiding away.
    Well, yes.....but they got married lickety-split so that "premie" wouldn't be a medical miracle.

It isn't the getting pregnant before marriage that gets me.....it is the waiting to get married until after the baby because people don't want to make a huge commitment like marriage right away...and why miss a good party!

Thank heaven having a baby is not a huge commitment.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I just got back from the movie and absolutely loved it. For sure one of the best movies I saw this year. I am sure Natalie Portman will get an Oscar nomination but I really hope she wins. I know Annette Benning is "due" and had a great role herself but I was more moved by Portman's performance. Mila Kunis has long been one of my favorites and I would love if she got a supporting nomination as well but that seems less likely. If you are thinking of seeing it, go!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash

Spoiler

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I thought that's where the film was going to go, but in the end, no,

Spoiler

Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I thought that's where the film was going to go, but in the end, no,

Spoiler

I agree with genevieve about this.

Spoiler

Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I especially thought that Nina

Spoiler

Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Just me
    vCash
    I saw this Christmas Eve Day with my two youngest daughters. I got mixed reviews from them, but that didn't surprise me. One likes movies that tie up endings in a nice little bow and the other enjoys movies that keep her thinking and create conversation in the car on the way home. You can probably guess which one liked it and which one didn't.

The movie certainly kept my attention all the way through (I did watch some of it throught my fingers), and I'm glad I went, but I don't think it's one I would watch a second time. I do think Portman did an excellent job.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast