Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Swan

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I was interested until I saw the trailer. Either the movie is bad or the people doing the trailer had no clue. I don't like movies that are too literal or go over the top (unless on purpose ), so the moment she started sprouting little barbs/feathers didn't go well for me. And in general the scenes in the trailer seem like bad over-acting of an even worse script, hopefully they only look like that because they're taken out of context. But then again the movie may just be an overambitious pseudo-psychodrama, kind of crazy, crap. What exactly is it trying to be anyway?

As for Aronofsky. The only of his movies I've seen to the end was The Wrestler, and I didn't like it that much. Much ado about nothing. I remember asking after the final scene, "That's it?" So we think we're going to live forever when we're young, we make mistakes, some big ones, we're trying to fix them and it's not always working, second chances might not work out and then we die. That's how it came off to me, like one of those yellow cheat books that will summarize a great book for you without even trying to go to any depth about it, and with none of the brilliance of the original.

I remember watching Pi but I don't know if I finished it, it was a long time ago. I found it kind of interesting and kind of boring at the same time. Or maybe rather too monotone. Requiem of a Dream was so overindulgent and already proclaimed by many to be the cinematic second coming of Christ, that I didn't have much patience for that.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    I was interested until I saw the trailer. Either the movie is bad or the people doing the trailer had no clue. I don't like movies that are too literal or go over the top (unless on purpose ), so the moment she started sprouting little barbs/feathers didn't go well for me. And in general the scenes in the trailer seem like bad over-acting of an even worse script, hopefully they only look like that because they're taken out of context. But then again the movie may just be an overambitious pseudo-psychodrama, kind of crazy, crap. What exactly is it trying to be anyway?

As for Aronofsky. The only of his movies I've seen to the end was The Wrestler, and I didn't like it that much. Much ado about nothing. I remember asking after the final scene, "That's it?" So we think we're going to live forever when we're young, we make mistakes, some big ones, we're trying to fix them and it's not always working, second chances might not work out and then we die. That's how it came off to me, like one of those yellow cheat books that will summarize a great book for you without even trying to go to any depth about it, and with none of the brilliance of the original.

I remember watching Pi but I don't know if I finished it, it was a long time ago. I found it kind of interesting and kind of boring at the same time. Or maybe rather too monotone. Requiem of a Dream was so overindulgent and already proclaimed by many to be the cinematic second coming of Christ, that I didn't have much patience for that.
    This reminds me of the time my mum was buying a birthday present for her daughter in law.

She said to the woman at the counter in Macy's, "Just through 50 bucks worth of anything into a bag for me. Chances are she'll be back on Monday morning to return it."

You can't please everyone.

vCash
    This movie looks really good..but I can't believe I have to wait until December to see it!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Not sure Natalie's extreme training worked since her posture in this picture kinda sucks.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movi...lack-swan.html

I look at that and think "This is not a ballet dancer."
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    It looks like it has gotten some great reviews at Venice, especially for Portman.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...talie_por.html

Boom! Darren Aronofsky's winged-ballerina thriller Black Swan screened last night at the Venice Film Festival and the reviews are nearly all good: In Contention's Guy Lodge gives it four stars and calls it "boldly deranged and beautifully despairing." "Best film I’ve seen all year," declares Obsessed With Film's Robert Beames. "Aronofsky has made his first masterpiece." Variety's Peter DeBruge says, "Aronofsky seems to be operating in the vein of early Roman Polanski or David Cronenberg at his most operatic." "Alternately disturbing and exhilarating," raves Screen International's Mike Goodridge, "[Swan] is one of the most exciting films to come out of the Hollywood system this year." Also, IndieWire's Todd McCarthy calls it "a Red Shoes on acid," which sounds awesome.
    About Portman:

She's great, allegedly! In the movie, she plays Nina, a ballerina whose all-consuming passion for performing costs her something of a mental breakdown. All critics seem to agree the role is outside of Portman's traditional comfort zone, but she pulls it off.
    I rewatched Rosemary's Baby recently and I am always impressed with Mia Farrow in that film. I can't believe she never received in Oscar nod for any of her films. Of course, I think Ruth Gordon gave the best Oscar speech of all time.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    It's interesting because they mention Polanski and Cronenberg, but it also reminds me a bit of Kubrick...at least from the trailer.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It true it comes out in December?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It true it comes out in December?
    Don't most Oscar-bait films do?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Don't most Oscar-bait films do?
    Not necessarily December, but certainly from September on. Anything that came out in March, no matter how good, is long forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    This reminds me of the time my mum was buying a birthday present for her daughter in law.

She said to the woman at the counter in Macy's, "Just through 50 bucks worth of anything into a bag for me. Chances are she'll be back on Monday morning to return it."

Do we have the same Mother and sister-in-law?

vCash
    Even though they're not really similar movies, I got a Notes on a Scandal vibe from the trailer, so I don't think I'll be seeing it. While I recognize that Notes was an excellent movie, it's the only one I've ever seen that has really made me feel dirty (and I've seen late-night Cinemax ). I felt the same kind of oogey watching that trailer.

I agree with the sentiment and hope that it does well because there are not that many good roles for females, however, I *hate, hate, hate* that ONCE AGAIN it's about jealousy/age/beauty rather than two strong, talented female camraderie or working together.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I agree with the sentiment and hope that it does well because there are not that many good roles for females, however, I *hate, hate, hate* that ONCE AGAIN it's about jealousy/age/beauty rather than two strong, talented female camraderie or working together.
    Because in RL you get a lot of strong, talented females working together under some comradeship sentiment? I always thought the "2 roosters can't stay under the same hen-house" (that's Italian, so pardon the rough translation) to be very true.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post

Well, your story is more about a person who can't be pleased no matter what you do, which is not true for me. I knew the moment I criticized the trailer and other Aronofsky's movies, though, someone would be offended. I don't know why but it's just the way it is. I'm just surprised it took so long.

That reminded me of the time when I criticized the movie Munhunter on a film usenet group years and years ago. Someone went completely bonkers to the point of stalking me. Still, If I don't like a movie/etc, I'll feel free to express my opinion.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    Because in RL you get a lot of strong, talented females working together under some comradeship sentiment? I always thought the "2 roosters can't stay under the same hen-house" (that's Italian, so pardon the rough translation) to be very true.
    It happens all the time, particularly in ballet companies, even across ranks. That's not to say there isn't jealousy and disappointment when the resources -- roles/performances/attention -- are limited, or cliques, but there are plenty of female dancers who get along just fine, and plenty more that are great friends. The ground glass in the toe shoes stories sell more copy, though.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It was true regarding bitter rivalry when I was a little girl and heard stories come out of the local Opera and Ballet House. The Russian metaphor for the relationships among top dancers was described as "the snake soup is simmering".

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    It happens all the time, particularly in ballet companies, even across ranks. That's not to say there isn't jealousy and disappointment when the resources -- roles/performances/attention -- are limited, or cliques, but there are plenty of female dancers who get along just fine, and plenty more that are great friends. The ground glass in the toe shoes stories sell more copy, though.
    But realistically, how interesting a movie would that make?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It was true regarding bitter rivalry when I was a little girl and heard stories come out of the local Opera and Ballet House. The Russian metaphor for the relationships among top dancers was described as "the snake soup is simmering".
    Did Ukraine use the Russian model, where each dancer had a coach/mentor from the previous generation? The Russian model breeds more snaky behavior, because it's not just the dancer's ego/position/rank, but the coach's as well, and the coach's entire pedigree.

Even without that system, generally, the dancer who's sleeping with the boss or is the boss's muse or is simply the boss's favorite won't have very many friends among fellow dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by Michalle View Post
    Not a remotely interesting non-fiction movie. Much better as a documentary.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Did Ukraine use the Russian model, where each dancer had a coach/mentor from the previous generation? The Russian model breeds more snaky behavior, because it's not just the dancer's ego/position/rank, but the coach's as well, and the coach's entire pedigree.

Even without that system, generally, the dancer who's sleeping with the boss or is the boss's muse or is simply the boss's favorite won't have very many friends among fellow dancers.
    I don't recall such a model as specifically applied to the dance company from my home town. But I do remember the stories about back biting and general atmosphere, especially surrounding the competition for the lead roles.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Not sure Natalie's extreme training worked since her posture in this picture kinda sucks.
    http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movi...lack-swan.html

I look at that and think "This is not a ballet dancer."
    I didn't know it was possible to both arch your back and slouch at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michalle View Post
    They did make that movie, it was called The Company and starred Neve Campbell. Excellent IMO but it certainly wasn't all that dramatic.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    My favorite piece from the Company. Gorgeous choreo and camera work.

from Speedy Death

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast