Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse throw

vCash

Reverse throw

In dance, there is often the reverse lift where the woman lifts the man. I was thinking, what if we did a reverse throw in pairs, where the woman throws the man instead? Sounds ridiculous, but would it work?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    In dance, there is often the reverse lift where the woman lifts the man. I was thinking, what if we did a reverse throw in pairs, where the woman throws the man instead? Sounds ridiculous, but would it work?
    Probably, I just don't know how many points a single revolution throw would be worth.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Good luck to any senior pair that attempts it! Tong Jian, for example, is about eight inches taller and seventy pounds heavier than Pang Qing.

vCash
    Oh wow...perhaps Tanovich could throw Chau into a single given her height? She is frail, though, so probably not. In any case, they aren't even together anymore.

My thoughts on this subject:

vCash
    Well, the guy could always do a triple which he can land without being thrown and the girl could fake it (pretending to throw him while just 'resting' her hands on him)

vCash
    I'd like a to see a reverse pair lift. The girl lifting the guy up in a lasso lift

vCash
    You occasionally see reverse throws (as jokes) in exhibitions. I remember seeing Sale/Pelletier doing one (I think a throw single axel) once.

vCash
    Brasseur and Eisler (sp?) did a reverse throw in exhibition for years. It always got a big roar of approval from the crowds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    You occasionally see reverse throws (as jokes) in exhibitions. I remember seeing Sale/Pelletier doing one (I think a throw single axel) once.
    As far as I remember they did it in the Olys Exhibition.

vCash
    There was also the one with Johnny Weir and Rudy Galindo and Johnny and Stephane

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Screenie View Post
    There was also the one with Johnny Weir and Rudy Galindo and Johnny and Stephane
    It's only a reverse throw if the girl is throwing the guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    It's only a reverse throw if the girl is throwing the guy.
    So biting my tongue over the above two posts... must... not... respond...
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    So biting my tongue over the above two posts... must... not... respond...
    Are you implying JW is a female?

vCash
    Maybe Ozzisk8tr is Evan in disguise?

vCash
    Remember that in dance the definitionj of a lift refers to the "lifting partner" and the "lifted partner". In pairs, it says "the man" and "the lady". So I doubt you could do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John Q View Post
    Remember that in dance the definitionj of a lift refers to the "lifting partner" and the "lifted partner". In pairs, it says "the man" and "the lady". So I doubt you could do it.
    Interesting - that means in the case of pairs specific definition, a "reverse" throw would probably be deemed as an invalid element by the caller on the element list. Is that correct?

vCash
    Since I don't recall it happening I believe the Tech panel would have a number of choices...

1. Ignore it and assume it is a transition, unlikely
    2. Identify the throw, deem it a valid element, probable
    3. Identify the throw, deem it invalid but prevent the team from including a third throw (make it occupy a box) , unlikely.

The ISU doesn't make a clear distinction (Communication 1611) of the definition of a throw which is why # 2 is most likely. However, lifts, death spirals, and twists clearly refer to "the man" and "the lady" as such we could infer that it applies here, but with no guarantee.

Either way the skaters and their coach would be putting the panel in a difficult situation without a clear recourse; definitely not the most beneficial program design.
    Last edited by John Q; 08-23-2010 at 10:06 PM.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Well, the guy could always do a triple which he can land without being thrown and the girl could fake it (pretending to throw him while just 'resting' her hands on him)
    That's what I was thinking... but if she can't throw him then he might end up kicking her and it would be very dangerous.

vCash
    Wouldn't a reverse throw be a lot harder than a reverse dance lift?

More strength would be required for the female to throw the male high than just lift him for a few seconds - and the height in a dance lift is less than the height in a pairs throw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    That's what I was thinking... but if she can't throw him then he might end up kicking her and it would be very dangerous.
    I don't think it would be any more dangerous. When you jump, you don't usually have the time to kick around you (unless you have some serious wrap issues), and the male skater would do a triple which he can do well. Though I think if they would fake it (if he is jumping through his power and she is just pretending to be throwing him), he wouldn't have the same height and distance as when male is throwing female, so it would probably get much lower GOE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast