View Poll Results: Who do you think will capture the gold medal in Ice Dance at Russian Nationals 2010?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jana Khokhlova & Fedor Andreev

13 8.23%
  • Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev

74 46.84%
  • Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov

62 39.24%
  • Ksenia Monko & Kirill Khaliavin

1 0.63%
  • Ekaterina Riazanova & Ilia Tkachenko

8 5.06%
  • Ekaterina Pushkash & Jonathan Guerreiro

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I think they did suffer from being the no. 2 team - esp evident at 2009 Worlds.

I disagree. B/S got their best scores on home ice in a competition where half the field pulled out. The GPF was the place to show those scores were not a fluke. But the finished some 18 points below their CoR scores.

R/T won their silver medal on neutral ice and were almost 10 points higher than at SA - showing they're improving throughout the season - as they should be.

I/K had a bad SD, but pulled themselves together in the FD and were about 7 points higher than at NHK - with better lifts and improvements in their program.

Both these teams are getting better. I'm not sure what B/S are doing. But I guess we'll see soon enough - isnt Rus Nat this weekend?
    I/K were also on home ice when they achieved their higher FD score. I don't understand why it's a valid measure of improvement if B/S's scores are suspect. They were awarded by the same judges.

My point is that a country's No. 2 can overtake its No. 1; D/W didn't have to wait for Belbin/Agosto to retire. The same can happen for R/T and I/K if they improve and B/S stagnate. But it's too early to know which teams are on the upswing and which are headed down. One bad competition doesn't mean a team will skate badly for the rest of the season.

I think Nationals start on the 24th.
    Last edited by laviemn; 12-17-2010 at 09:39 AM.

vCash
    Because in that case, B&S beat I&K soundly (by 8 points) in the FD, both teams getting level 4 on everything but the steps, where they earned level 3's, so that I&K are near maxed on tech, and still not making up the difference. In fact, I&K would have lost the FD to H&Z if H&Z hadn't messed up the final step sequence and gotten level 2. H&Z's PCS were higher.

And I&K blew a lift and then did not recover well in the SD. But that's not the only SD problem. I&K had level 3's with not great GOE on both the Golden Waltz segments, earning only 12.14 for them. B&S got one Level 3 and one level 4 for a total of 13.46. And CoR had a rather forgiving tech panel on the Golden for all the teams there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laviemn View Post
    For example, Davis/White going into their first Worlds as the No. 2 US team didn't keep them from moving into No. 1 when they improved. And it didn't keep them from beating more senior teams at their first Worlds either.

Davis/White went into their first Worlds as the No.3 US team, not No.2. And they began their first senior season as the No.N US team (N>4 perhaps).

vCash
    I think M/K could be surprise winner.

vCash
    Are M&K going to compete in Seniors? I haven't seen them do a GW version of their SD? Does anyone know whether they have?

But I bet they are peeved with themselves for not choosing to be seniors this year, seeing how well that turned out for the Shibs.

As to D&W being number 3 in the US, they certainly were-and Gregory and Petukhov finished ahead of them at NHK that year. However, at Worlds, D&W passed them. And that's how it is for the 3rd place team. Typically you have to have beaten or nearly tied the other team internationally before you can pass them nationally. G&P were injured and unable to skate at Nationals the next year, so D&W entered Nationals in the 2nd spot. And scored closer to B&A than to the rest of the field than they did in all segments. G&P did not return to amateur competition.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 12-17-2010 at 02:02 PM.

vCash
    Yeah, I don't know. I like B/S the least of the 3 Russian teams in question but there's not much reason to believe they'll be beaten at Nationals. I do think it's more likely to be done by R/T if it happens at all. It would be insane for the Russians to let their top junior team beat all of their seniors; this isn't Ladies where they have juniors doing triple axels.

I didn't watch US Nationals that year, so I just remembered that D/W were the 2nd highest US team at Worlds in 2007.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laviemn View Post
    It would be insane for the Russians to let their top junior team beat all of their seniors.

Depends on how much they want that gold medal in Sochi really.

Crossing my fingers for I/K this weekend

vCash
    The results of the GPF must have the Rus Fed totally over who should be their No 1 team.
    Maybe the Rus Fed should stop worrying, instruct the judges at Nationals to watch the teams' performances impartially and mark them accurately, and let the chips fall where they may.

Just sayin'....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Maybe the Rus Fed should stop worrying, instruct the judges at Nationals to watch the teams' performances impartially and mark them accurately, and let the chips fall where they may.
    If only, if only.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    But I bet they are peeved with themselves for not choosing to be seniors this year, seeing how well that turned out for the Shibs.
    I wish I understood more what factors into the decision of when to go senior.

In the case of M/K, they probably wanted another shot at the gold. They were doing well last year - won the JGPF - and then must have had a really bad performance at Worlds [I'm blanking on them] - they were off the podium and A/V were 4th so the highest they could have placed was 5th. [I cant remember them from Jr Worlds - maybe they were injured and skipped it?]. Anyway - for whatever reason they really didnt do that well and probably wanted better credentials going into seniors. I could understand that, and I hope they're not second-guessing themselves now.

vCash

Jr. Worlds resul;ts

M&K were 3rd. I&K, P&I, S&S and A&V all went to seniors.
    S&S had two bronze medals, I&K two 4th places, P&I one fourth place, and A&V were injured for the series.

1 Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 188.28 1 1 1
    2 Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 172.37 5 2 2
    3 Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN RUS 168.81 4 3 5
    4 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 168.35 2 4 4
    5 Lorenza ALESSANDRINI / Simone VATURI ITA 167.84 6 5 3
    6 Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS 162.16 3 6 6

vCash
    M&K were 3rd.
    Wow - I must be going senile - I'm really out of it this morning - that's the second time I mixed up

Time for more - like a gallon!

vCash
    Depends on how much they want that gold medal in Sochi really.

Crossing my fingers for I/K this weekend
    Oh, I was replying to the post that suggested M/K may have a shot at the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post

Just sayin'....
    Yeah. I actually think they're desperate enough for medals in Sochi that they'll ultimately support the skaters who are the strongest contenders, regardless of biases, allegiances, or seniority--at least for this quad.

M&K were 3rd. I&K, P&I, S&S and A&V all went to seniors.
    S&S had two bronze medals, I&K two 4th places, P&I one fourth place, and A&V were injured for the series
    I/K won bronze at CoR, but um, it was sort of by default. What a weird competition that was.

vCash
    Yes, you're right.

vCash
    The truth is, most of the younger teams who did well in GP series, did well just because there were so many absent top level teams.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123