Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    If the house is beyond repair, I kind of think they shouldn't rebuild but buy somewhere else simply because now everyone knows where he lives/lived. I was kind of surprised they published his exact address, and also surprised his house is just on a relatively public street (and not behind gates or something). Yes I know it's a high-price area, but it still looks like a regular kind of street to me, where you could walk right up to his front door if you wanted. Maybe they just wanted a "normal" life, but now with everyone knowing his address I think he'd be better off relocating.
    This is Canada. There are few gated communities. Even in our wealthiest neighbourhoods. Everybody knew Prince lived in the purple house on the Bridle Path and he was left alone. That area isn't gated either.

They didn't publish his exact address, just the nearest intersection, although those motivated to do so wouldn't have a problem finding it at this point.

vCash
    Just a note, I suspect AragornElessar is responding more to the posts that have popped up all over the internet, not necessarily here, mocking Kurt and making jokes at his expense. If you search "Kurt Browning" on Twitter, the lack of sensitivity or sympathy is pretty blatant, for instance. (Though if you search @KurtBrowning, you'll see a lot of sympathy messages, which help me from looking completely down on humanity at this moment) But yes, I have appreciated that the posters on FSU seem sensitive to what a terrible situation this is, regardless of how the fire started.

While I'm relieved to hear that Kurt's gold medals are safe, which hopefully implies that other important artifacts of his long skating career have also survived, I can't imagine the extent of the other losses he and Sonia must have sustained. Kurt's someone who places a lot of importance in family and family legacy - both in stuff he can pass down to his sons and things he has to remember his parents by. For instance, everything he wore in his tribute program to his dad after he passed way were items of clothes he'd found of his dad's. My first thought when I heard this news was to hope that all the stuff he'd saved from his dad and mom was ok, but I somehow doubt it. That's the type of loss that can never be replaced.

As for the leaf blower - that's certainly an unorthodox way to dry your car. But who hasn't used a hair dryer to try to dry clothing when no better means are at hand? A leaf blower blows a jet of air, much like a hair dryer. And until this happened, would anybody really expect a leaf blower to start a fire? It sounds stupid after the fact, but I know I personally wouldn't have thought this would be a possible consequence.

vCash
    I´m very glad that nobody was hurt and that the fire did not spread to other houses! Yes, also I think that many of us have used various things in an unorthodox way, but surely most people at least understand to be careful while doing that and afterwards....

This whole sad incident is something I find hard to believe that it could have really happened. It is more like something that could have been shown in a certain sort of comedy.
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-20-2010 at 09:03 AM.

vCash
    I'm glad they're safe but my heart is breaking for Kurt He must be feeling terrible. 

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    This is Canada. There are few gated communities. Even in our wealthiest neighbourhoods. Everybody knew Prince lived in the purple house on the Bridle Path and he was left alone. That area isn't gated either.

They didn't publish his exact address, just the nearest intersection, although those motivated to do so wouldn't have a problem finding it at this point.
    Why would he live behind gates? We have NHL hockey players (including Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood) living in Ottawa and they don't live behind gates. It's not Hollywood.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post

Actually, the Toronto Star did publish the exact address.

vCash
    Just a note, I suspect AragornElessar is responding more to the posts that have popped up all over the internet, not necessarily here, mocking Kurt and making jokes at his expense.
    Thank you Tina for the explanation. I trust you've suggested to AE that yelling at the people who actually aren't doing this might be the wrong approach. I think most of us understand her passion but misdirected anger is well...misdirected anger. Case closed.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-20-2010 at 06:20 PM.

vCash
    it's a tragedy that could have been far worse. Awful as it is...it's a huge relief no one was injured including the fire dept putting it out.

vCash
    Thank goodness no one was hurt at the Browning house.

This made me think of Bobby Ojeda (Mets Pitcher) doing his own yardwork and accidentally cutting off part of his pitching-hand middle finger while using electric hedge clippers.

I hope they can salvage photos and other things. I have a cousin who lost her house in a fire, including family treasures. One of her friends took all of my cousin's soot-smeared Hummels and cleaned them by hand. Her SIL organized a "Photo Album Filler" party with guests bringing photos of my cousin and her family/friends. She told me that she recently had all her photos scanned onto CDs that she put into her safety deposit box.

vCash
    I know that Teenes and some of the good folks at the Kurtfiles are already organizing a major effort to reconstruct videos, photos and anything career-related they can provide to him. They are really thinking constructively - if anyone has Kurt-related photos or goodies to contribute please contact Tina at the Kurtfiles - she's a great person and if you get things to her, you know it will get to Kurt. Please see her announcement of the effort at http://kurtfiles.com/
    scroll down to ALERTS:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenes View Post
    But who hasn't used a hair dryer to try to dry clothing when no better means are at hand?
    Me, for one.

vCash
    This doesn't come close to the people in my town who set their house on fire using a blow torch to melt the ice in their front porch gutter.

vCash
    A message from Kurt a little while ago on Twitter:

My neighbor Josh told me that the most important things are our memories in our head and our hearts. Wise words! Josh is 9 years old fyi.
    http://twitter.com/KurtBrowning

vCash
    Wow, hats off to 9 year old Josh. Wise beyond his years is a huge understatement.

vCash
    Most important are people, and everyone survived.

vCash
    What horrible news! Thank goodness Kurt and his family are safe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Actually, the Toronto Star did publish the exact address.
    Okay I tried and just don't recognize the house lol from google maps anyways.

vCash
    Met the man some years ago. If there ever was a guy that represented Mr. Canada, it was Kurt. Add my voice to those who are sad for his family but glad no one was hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Me, for one.
    Why not? Wet jeans suck when you've been caught out in the rain. Was *very* happy there was a hairdryer at work one day...

And, thanks Willowway. We're still in early stages yet, but if there's some small way we can do our part to ease their losses, I'd like to do it.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Thank you Tina for the explanation. I trust you've suggested to AE that yelling at the people who actually aren't doing this might be the wrong approach. I think most of us understand her passion but misdirected anger is well...misdirected anger. Case closed.
    First off, while I appreciate what Teenes was doing, I stand by what I said and I still mean it. I was also talking about the postings here at FSU and not just in general, as I hadn't seen any other reactions online other than here at that point.

Second, I weep for this new society where being snarky regardless of what is going on is considered to be funny and okay. It is not!! There are times when it's not okay and there were posts like that whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Sad really. Oh well, I'd rather be looked at as an over sensitive be witch w/heart and compassion than behave the way some of you have behaved.

And I'm done!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast