Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenes View Post
    Why not? Wet jeans suck when you've been caught out in the rain. Was *very* happy there was a hairdryer at work one day...
    That's nothing - I once used a microwave oven. ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isk8NYC View Post
    I have a cousin who lost her house in a fire, including family treasures. .... Her SIL organized a "Photo Album Filler" party with guests bringing photos of my cousin and her family/friends. She told me that she recently had all her photos scanned onto CDs that she put into her safety deposit box.
    What a nice SIL - that was a great idea which I will remember if, heaven forbid, anything like that happens to someone I know, though around here it is more likely to be flood damage.

And also the CD thing. My Mom recently passed away and I regret that we did not get to our project to go through pictures and id people and occasions where possible. But at least I can scan and save some. I have done that with my digitally taken photos though haven't put them in the Safety deposit box yet. Maybe I will just consider a fire-proof box/home safe. I think those work fairly well.

Sorry OT but can anyone suggest a reasonable resolution to use that isn't ridiculously large but will stand up for years to come?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Sorry OT but can anyone suggest a reasonable resolution to use that isn't ridiculously large but will stand up for years to come?
    If you want to be able to print the photos again, figure 300 dpi. So a 4x6 photo should be no less than 1200 x 1800 dpi (which is probably about 1.5MB or less). DVDs store a ton more photos than a CD (if you are just using the DVD as a simple data storage location, as opposed to some kind of program with fancy photo viewing options).

vCash
    They were on the same plane coming home from Madrid when i was back in July. They had the little guy with them, not the older one. I said hi to Kurt. It's nice to see such a lovely stable couple. A fire is a dreadful, stressful thing to happen to a family. Sonia has a new ballet season starting and Kurt has BOTB starting. I hope they are OK. Kurt really has turned into one of our icons. I've seen him at the ballet fundraiser and he gave me a kiss on the cheek when I spoke to him. With all the screwing around and acting like teenagers of other skaters we admire(d), Kurt is always classy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ildah View Post
    They were on the same plane coming home from Madrid when i was back in July. They had the little guy with them, not the older one. I said hi to Kurt. It's nice to see such a lovely stable couple. A fire is a dreadful, stressful thing to happen to a family. Sonia has a new ballet season starting and Kurt has BOTB starting. I hope they are OK. Kurt really has turned into one of our icons. I've seen him at the ballet fundraiser and he gave me a kiss on the cheek when I spoke to him. With all the screwing around and acting like teenagers of other skaters we admire(d), Kurt is always classy.
    don't go there. You are misinformed.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

Second, I weep for this new society where being snarky regardless of what is going on is considered to be funny and okay. It is not!! There are times when it's not okay and there were posts like that whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
    New society? From the moment employees had general access to fax machines, jokes about just about every disaster made their way across offices country-wide. Within seconds after the Challenger blew up in 1986, before the initial news reports were finished, for example, and that was decades ago. Gallows humor and all.

But who hasn't used a hair dryer to try to dry clothing when no better means are at hand?
    But who walks away with hair dryer still running in a place close to gasoline?
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-23-2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    That's nothing - I once used a microwave oven. ...
    Be careful with that one... I did the same once, and the item burst into flames. Luckily, my microwave was close to the kitchen sink, so I just whisked the item out, threw it in the sink, and turned on the water. The item was ruined, but no one was hurt thankfully.

vCash
    Why not? Wet jeans suck when you've been caught out in the rain.
    It has never occurred to me and I usually have an alternative to wet clothing. . .in fact, I hardly ever use a hairdryer to dry my hair, I'm a wash and go wet sort of girl.

However, this discussion has given me the idea of using my hairdryer on my golden retriever when she is soaking wet after rolling in mud puddles and getting a bath. . .

vCash
    You've never used a hairdryer on your dog?

Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I show dogs, the hairdryer is part of my show equipment. Just be aware that the dog may be frightened of the dryer at first. What i do to get the dog use to it is to dry my hair and blow the dryer at the dog while i dry my hair. the dog is not wet during the trial period.

vCash
    As for the leaf blower - that's certainly an unorthodox way to dry your car. But who hasn't used a hair dryer to try to dry clothing when no better means are at hand? A leaf blower blows a jet of air, much like a hair dryer. And until this happened, would anybody really expect a leaf blower to start a fire? It sounds stupid after the fact, but I know I personally wouldn't have thought this would be a possible consequence.
    My husband uses one to dry his Harley and he's not the only one, it's pretty common. I've always wondered what people with convertibles did when it rained. I think the leaf blower makes sense - there are some pretty powerful ones out there, Kurt's only mistake was leaving it on and unattended.

vCash
    It's not just the memorabilia which can be replaced in many instances. A member of Sonia's family was a famous artist (to people in the art world who know their stuff) and they have a lot of her art in the house, supposedly. That's gone forever, if it was part of the loss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    I show dogs, the hairdryer is part of my show equipment. Just be aware that the dog may be frightened of the dryer at first. What i do to get the dog use to it is to dry my hair and blow the dryer at the dog while i dry my hair. the dog is not wet during the trial period.
    We show dogs as well...and have Edemco standing grooming dryers for our dogs. They work great for drying out convertibles as well! Anyone know if Kurt has pets that get groomed? Maybe their groomer can recommend a standing hair dryer for Kurt's convertible Porsche next time it gets left out in the rain!

vCash
    Then there was the story about 10 years ago about the old lady who used the microwave to dry off her dog. That was very sad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ildah View Post
    It's not just the memorabilia which can be replaced in many instances. A member of Sonia's family was a famous artist (to people in the art world who know their stuff) and they have a lot of her art in the house, supposedly. That's gone forever, if it was part of the loss.
    That's really sad. My father lost his family heirlooms in fire years ago, and it has taken him years to get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Then there was the story about 10 years ago about the old lady who used the microwave to dry off her dog. That was very sad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    OMG

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zhenya271 View Post
    My husband uses one to dry his Harley and he's not the only one, it's pretty common. I've always wondered what people with convertibles did when it rained. I think the leaf blower makes sense - there are some pretty powerful ones out there, Kurt's only mistake was leaving it on and unattended.
    I have a (small) convertible.... If you are on the freeway and going the speed limit, the interior stays surprisingly dry. If it's a downpour, you stop and put the top up. However, if the interior gets really soaked, you put it in the garage, top down, remove the floor mats, and let it dry out. If you're in a hurry (and have cloth seats), remove seat/carpet/whatever and bring them into the house to dry. The heat lamp in the bathroom works well, too.

vCash
    Kurt shouldn't feel as bad as this guy, who is lucky to be alive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ider-wife.html
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    two fires - same person - I wonder how high his insurance will go?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345