Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I think DC is laid back. I don't feel stressed out there and don't get the hectic vibe that NYC has in spades, even when I'm around stressed out people in DC who can't function without their crackberries or some other device of self-inflicted torture. Rather pastoral there, yes.
    ^
    yeah
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    NYC and Chicago are in the top ten but not the top 5.

Here's the rest of the top 10:

6. Miami
    7. Dallas
    8. NYC
    9. Chicago
    10. Detroit
    Miami is #6. Surprise. I don't have the link but recently we were ranked #1 for rudest drivers and when you drive to work here, the stupidity on the road brings out your homicidal tendencies.

Getting things done ontime in Miami also takes a ton of effort. Then, there's the heat to consider

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Miami is #6. Surprise. I don't have the link but recently we were ranked #1 for rudest drivers and when you drive to work here, the stupidity on the road brings out your homicidal tendencies.

Getting things done ontime in Miami also takes a ton of effort. Then, there's the heat to consider
    Does that "Miami" include the entire SouFla tri-county megalopolis? Or is it just the very fun city & county where running red lights is now being debated as a constitutional right & beeping the horn at stop signs gives you the right of way to go on through at speed?

And, as you say, then there's the heat. And we ain't talkin' basketball here, folks....

NJL (...not to mention the invasion of the Burmese pythons........still not talkin' sports, just everyday livin' in paradise ........)

vCash
    Miami at #6. Should be higher.

The drivers here are unreal. A lot of them are uninsured and/or illegal so hit and runs are common, depending on what area you're driving in. You also have people who have NO BUSINESS having a license. I know of them..her rap sheet is two pages long, she's been arrested for a suspended license..and yet..they give her a hardship license. *sigh*

I've had to use the skills I learned in my defensive driving course to avoid wrecks that would have a)killed me or b) severely injured me. This happens at least once a month. I am not exaggerating. I hate I-95 and the Palmetto (know as the Crawlmetto).

Recently in the Miami Herald newspaper, they had a big to-do over cameras being installed at intersections. I want one at every corner timed to ticket anyone who blows through a red light ( a full red..not a yellow like these cameras have unfortunately been doing). Just doing that would get this county out of its 400 million dollar deficit.

Oh, and save a few lives.

Then i could talk about the lack of transit service..our bus system needs an overhaul. Our metro-rail is a joke and basically the city is NOT built for mass transit, hence the reason why "rush hour" lasts about 4 hours every morning and afternoon.

Whew! Okay I'm done
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    entire post
    This is why I am glad I've only been in the car driving in Miami with my dad who has lived there. I will never, ever, EVER drive in that! Scared me off driving and I was 14 last time I was there.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    Does that "Miami" include the entire SouFla tri-county megalopolis? Or is it just the very fun city & county where running red lights is now being debated as a constitutional right & beeping the horn at stop signs gives you the right of way to go on through at speed
    The drivers here are unreal. A lot of them are uninsured and/or illegal so hit and runs are common, depending on what area you're driving in. You also have people who have NO BUSINESS having a license. I know of them..her rap sheet is two pages long, she's been arrested for a suspended license..and yet..they give her a hardship license. *sigh*

I've had to use the skills I learned in my defensive driving course to avoid wrecks that would have a)killed me or b) severely injured me. This happens at least once a month. I am not exaggerating. I hate I-95 and the Palmetto (know as the Crawlmetto).

Recently in the Miami Herald newspaper, they had a big to-do over cameras being installed at intersections. I want one at every corner timed to ticket anyone who blows through a red light ( a full red..not a yellow like these cameras have unfortunately been doing). Just doing that would get this county out of its 400 million dollar deficit.

Then i could talk about the lack of transit service..our bus system needs an overhaul. Our metro-rail is a joke and basically the city is NOT built for mass transit, hence the reason why "rush hour" lasts about 4 hours every morning and afternoon.

Whew! Okay I'm done
    Jeebus, my parents are always telling me how terrible driving in LA is, but the worst that's happened to me was that some guy wanted to right-turn into the same lane I wanted to left-turn into (on my left arrow light) and we missed each other by several inches. Nearly gave me a heart attack, but if we had actually hit each other, I wouldn't have been injured much. I've also nearly clipped another car changing into the same lane I wanted to change into, but that's just a matter of looking more carefully, not being a jerk.

Otherwise driving in LA is perfectly fine. I've never seen anyone beep at a stop sign, that's just being a jerk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I've never seen anyone beep at a stop sign, that's just being a jerk.
    As I understand it this was accepted practice in Cuba, pre-Castro. Just the way things were done there. Maybe it still is. Many of the Cubans that came to Miami brought the practice with them and continued to do it in the heavily Cuban parts of the City of Miami. As they've moved to the suburbs & they and their kids, grand kids, etc have become more Americanized - or the older folks have died out - the practice has become quite rare. Personally I've never seen it done anywhere other than downtown Miami or it's near vicinity. It was exciting to watch. Somewhat akin to a figure - 8 race....

As for running red lights; I think that that is seen as a right by many here now. Most of us wait several seconds when a light turns green before we proceed. It's safer that way. It seems there is always at least one horse's ass that will go zooming through seconds after a light turns.

NJL

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    In DC, the cab drivers are the worst drivers. I'm not kidding. They're Ethiopian and Somali, largely. They drive really slowly looking for fares, change lanes and turn without signaling and generally make city driving a PITA.

This morning I walked to work for the first time in a while, since I hate the heat but it's not that bad yet today. Strolling down 14th Street, seeing all the other workers with their coffees and IPODs, was actually relaxing. I need to walk to work more often.

And part of the reason we have a laid-back vibe is that you can see the sky here. We have a height restriction, no building can be taller than the capitol, and that makes for a horizontal city with wide sightlines. I swear when I'm in NY I feel like I'm walking at the bottom of a well, I can't stand the way the buildings tower over me and block out the sun.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I think the height restriction definitely makes DC more livable--more human scale. People talk about lifting the restrictions because density is more environmentally sound supposedly, but I think its quite possible to have density without tall buildings (tall being anything over 12 stories). I think that more cities should revolt against tall buildings. They are inhuman, especially as living spaces.

Our cab drivers are great. We are lucky to have one of the highest per capita number of cabs. You can always get a cab. And since most of them are immigrants they won't even talk to you while you're riding. (Not that most people consider that as important... )
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I think the height restriction definitely makes DC more livable--more human scale. People talk about lifting the restrictions because density is more environmentally sound supposedly, but I think its quite possible to have density without tall buildings (tall being anything over 12 stories). I think that more cities should revolt against tall buildings. They are inhuman, especially as living spaces.

Our cab drivers are great. We are lucky to have one of the highest per capita number of cabs. You can always get a cab. And since most of them are immigrants they won't even talk to you while you're riding. (Not that most people consider that as important... )
    They're really nice people but they don't drive well. And they might not talk to you but they're sure talking to someone on their BlueTooth phones! I've discovered that both Urdu and Amharic are really interesting-sounding languages.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Does that "Miami" include the entire SouFla tri-county megalopolis? Or is it just the very fun city & county where running red lights is now being debated as a constitutional right & beeping the horn at stop signs gives you the right of way to go on through at speed?

And, as you say, then there's the heat. And we ain't talkin' basketball here, folks....

NJL (...not to mention the invasion of the Burmese pythons........still not talkin' sports, just everyday livin' in paradise ........)
    Eh. Miami can certainly be considered the kernel of the whole So. Fla. Megalopolis but if you head up to Palm Beach, or even just Ft. Lauderdale, it's still like a different world. So, I'd consider it the city/Miami-Dade County where as you say running red lights is considered by some to be a right.

Miami at #6. Should be higher.

Whew! Okay I'm done
    The Dolphin Expressway, 836, is scarier for me than I-95, but the Palmetto does always seem to be accident-central. The problem too is large sun-belt growth into the burbs and the highway/road system has not kept up with the demand for higher volume roads leading out of town.

Don't get me started on public transport.

As I understand it this was accepted practice in Cuba, pre-Castro. Just the way things were done there. Maybe it still is. Many of the Cubans that came to Miami brought the practice with them and continued to do it in the heavily Cuban parts of the City of Miami. As they've moved to the suburbs & they and their kids, grand kids, etc have become more Americanized - or the older folks have died out - the practice has become quite rare. Personally I've never seen it done anywhere other than downtown Miami or it's near vicinity. It was exciting to watch. Somewhat akin to a figure - 8 race....

As for running red lights; I think that that is seen as a right by many here now. Most of us wait several seconds when a light turns green before we proceed. It's safer that way. It seems there is always at least one horse's ass that will go zooming through seconds after a light turns.

NJL
    Many Cubans have left neighborhoods and been replaced by Central Americans, Haitians, South Americans who bring their own on-the-road philosophy to Miami
    Last edited by olympic; 08-20-2010 at 09:30 PM.

vCash
    Lived in NYC the last 14 years, recently moved to San Fran Bay Area. I hadn't realized how hectic NYC was until I moved!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash

NJL
    Here, people always run reds turning left at freeway onramps but it's always because they think they can make it juuuust before the light turns, but it always turns red as their front wheels cross the white line.

But yeah, running red lights is DANGEROUS, more than just being a jerk!

Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Lived in NYC the last 14 years, recently moved to San Fran Bay Area. I hadn't realized how hectic NYC was until I moved!
    Yeah dude, California is positively compared to NYC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    NYC won the long commute time.

Interesting that it scored third in lack of exercise - I guess that's due to counting the metro area as a whole? Those are the two categories that hurt.
    My guess is that it didn't count exercise from walking around, such as commuting. NYC has a pretty low obesity rate compared to the rest of the country, and while I've seen plenty of mildly to moderately obese people in New York, I haven't seen many severely obese. The people do a lot of walking, but they don't do it for the purpose of exercise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    In DC, the cab drivers are the worst drivers. I'm not kidding. They're Ethiopian and Somali, largely. They drive really slowly looking for fares, change lanes and turn without signaling and generally make city driving a PITA.

This morning I walked to work for the first time in a while, since I hate the heat but it's not that bad yet today. Strolling down 14th Street, seeing all the other workers with their coffees and IPODs, was actually relaxing. I need to walk to work more often.

And part of the reason we have a laid-back vibe is that you can see the sky here. We have a height restriction, no building can be taller than the capitol, and that makes for a horizontal city with wide sightlines. I swear when I'm in NY I feel like I'm walking at the bottom of a well, I can't stand the way the buildings tower over me and block out the sun.
    But when it's hot like this summer you give bigtime thanks to those tall buildings for the shading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12