Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Another Eva Cassidy gush thread

Okay, usually I'm pretty up on the songbirds, but I was wayyy behind on this one - pat c and Spinner had both extolled her consummate artistry to me before - so are their other Eva fans here at FSU? I know she found broader exposure in Britain via Top Of The Pops a while after her tragic death at age 33 from cancer in the mid 90s. I run out of superlatives for this instrument - ethereal, haunting, transcendent, timeless, you get the idea . . .

She most notably gave us the other definitive version of Over The Rainbow - truly equal to the immortal Judy Garland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RDmXsGeiF8
    Last edited by ebayj; 08-15-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am a HUGE fan! Her voice bring chills to my skin, as matter of fact I got chills just thinking about her voice. I can't describe how much her songs move me. I can't even tell you where to begin but go to youtube and listen to everything she covered. There is a lot and sometimes I will find another song I didn't realize she covered!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Another fan. My favorites from her include Over the Rainbow, What a Wonderful World, Autumn Leaves, Time After Time, and Bridge Over Troubled Water, a song I really didn't care for until I heard her version.

vCash
    I own all her CDs, any Eva gush thread will attract me. What an artist!! And how much we lost when she died. I can listen to her work over and over, and find new shadings the 100th time I hear something.

Another songbird who left us too soon and was fabulous (slightly different style than Eva), Nancy Lamott. If you don't know her work, I recommend her highly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I am a HUGE fan! Her voice bring chills to my skin, as matter of fact I got chills just thinking about her voice. I can't describe how much her songs move me. I can't even tell you where to begin but go to youtube and listen to everything she covered. There is a lot and sometimes I will find another song I didn't realize she covered!
    Thanks Brian. I just bought Songbird off of iTunes - it is beyond stunning. I feel so fortunate that her performances were preserved before her tragic death.

vCash
    Joining the gushing...!

vCash
    That is beautiful. I had never heard of her before. How incredibly sad that her life was cut so short.

vCash
    I have several of her CDs. Besides loving them, I also find they're great to listen to when I want to reduce my stress. Totally tragic that she did not get to experience the success that her music found after her death.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I join the rest here who loved Eva Cassidy. Her version of Sting's Fields of Gold is simply beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnucawyfE8k
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    If I had to pick one song as a fave (no easy task!) it'd be "Autumn Leaves". Sends chills through me every time. A neat fact, this was recorded live at Blues Alley and the piano interlude was virtually impromptu for that performance.

vCash
    I don't know, I like Kathy's song......and time after time..........rainbow. Well quite a few actually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    I don't know, I like Kathy's song......and time after time..........rainbow. Well quite a few actually.
    All awesome. And a special note about "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"--it's Eva's own arrangement. She didn't want it to sound like or be compared to Judy's version, so she completely made it her own. Lucky for us.

vCash
    Eva always had the ability to strip down songs to their bare soul. Sting's "Fields of Gold" just feels so cheap and artificial in comparison to her version.

vCash
    Very few female singers will come even close to Eva Cassidy's vocal purity and emotional honesty in the delivery of her songs. That unique combination of simplicity but also richness is something that is sorely missing in any radio format today.

I think Elton John has been quoted as saying that Eva had the best female pop singing voice ever. If we were to isolate only those singers from 1990-onwards, I have to agree.

vCash
    Another fan here. Her voice is so pure, and her interpretation is so light, so neutral.
    My favorite of her is Kathy's song (original by Simon and Garfunkel)

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Eva always had the ability to strip down songs to their bare soul. Sting's "Fields of Gold" just feels so cheap and artificial in comparison to her version.
    So true. Even Sting, the largest ego on the planet about his music, had to admit she'd trumped him.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    The website maintained by Eva's cousin:
    http://evacassidy.org/eva/

Any skating, and Michelle Kwan fan, owes her a great debt:
    http://www.evacassidy.org/eva/fog.htm

The record company, and Eva's family, presented MK with a copy of Eva's gold record; because of the impact of Michelle's use of Eva's recording.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thank you (((skatesindreams))).
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash

Synchronicity?

I was at a bookstore the other day, and this recording came on of a woman with a rather good voice. She appeared to have amazing range, doing show tunes, jazz, gospel-y things...and lo and behold it was Eva Cassidy. So I guess I'm a new fan too.

vCash
    Big fan here too. I love her version of Cheek to Cheek. The only other pure voice that comes to mind is Karen Carpenter. Not saying they sound alike at all but Karen also had that unique sound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast