Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: coincidence?

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,138
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I have no problem with Mirai winning in '14.

    There should be a vBet event - "Will Mirai skate to Schez. for her FS in the '13-'14 season?"

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alone. With my eyes open.
    Posts
    3,877
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    399
    This will probably only work if Mirai first wins '13 Worlds skating to Gershwin.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,461
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20970
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    There should be a vBet event - "Will Mirai skate to Schez. for her FS in the '13-'14 season?"
    And will Mirai register anonymously at FSU, bet big on that question, and then manipulate the outcome with her own music choice?

  4. #24

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    On the brink
    Posts
    9,896
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1444
    I love it that people have decided that Russian skaters, or any country's skaters for that matter, are going to win gold in 2014. We don't even know if these teams will still be together in 2014.

    Every season we have people telling us that his skater is that one is absolutely a "lock" for the gold and how often has that turned out to be correct?

    I'd rather wait another 3+ years before I begin to speculate on who will win the gold in Sochi and then it will be based on who is skating, who is healthy and who is not, and who looks ready to contend.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,670
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I love it that people have decided that Russian skaters, or any country's skaters for that matter, are going to win gold in 2014. We don't even know if these teams will still be together in 2014.

    Every season we have people telling us that his skater is that one is absolutely a "lock" for the gold and how often has that turned out to be correct?

    I'd rather wait another 3+ years before I begin to speculate on who will win the gold in Sochi and then it will be based on who is skating, who is healthy and who is not, and who looks ready to contend.
    But noone is saying here that they are a "lock" for the gold. What people are saying is that they have quite a few strong pairs, so it won't be their weakest discipline (in comparison with other skating disciplines).

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I think the Sochi's golds for dance and pairs are already done deals for Russia. There won't be any need to "deal" with the US or any countries. And this time, they seriously want the ladies gold ("sweep" if possible).
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    But noone is saying here that they are a "lock" for the gold. What people are saying is that they have quite a few strong pairs, so it won't be their weakest discipline (in comparison with other skating disciplines).
    See above... At least ONE poster knows...

    However, I give this just as much weight at Mr Wier's "whining" that the only reason he didn't win a medal was that Evan did......

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,670
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16655
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    See above... At least ONE poster knows...

    However, I give this just as much weight at Mr Wier's "whining" that the only reason he didn't win a medal was that Evan did......
    But isn't that the same type of speculations we have all over this forum? Such as, Mirai Nagasu is strong for gold in Sochi, she is strong enough to beat Asada, Kim and ....(add there names)...

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    But isn't that the same type of speculations we have all over this forum? Such as, Mirai Nagasu is strong for gold in Sochi, she is strong enough to beat Asada, Kim and ....(add there names)...
    They just provide entertainment too.

    The nice thing about this board is that some posters KNOW who will win without the event taking place (and then KNOW their skater was robbed without seeing the event. )

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,765
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    They just provide entertainment too.

    The nice thing about this board is that some posters KNOW who will win without the event taking place (and then KNOW their skater was robbed without seeing the event. )
    I guess this goes to show you how desperate we are for the GP series to start. When we start predicting who will win light years in the future.

    And I thought UMBS's vbets for the GP Finals was a bit premature.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    37
    Posts
    396
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I doubt if Russia will win gold in any of the figure skating disciplines in 2014, but then again you never know what unexpected something can happen. As the cliché says; ice is slippery.

  11. #31

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    On the brink
    Posts
    9,896
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1444
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    But isn't that the same type of speculations we have all over this forum? Such as, Mirai Nagasu is strong for gold in Sochi, she is strong enough to beat Asada, Kim and ....(add there names)...
    I did say that I thought it ridiculous to say that any skater(s) would win gold in 2014 at this point. At the end of the 2006/07 season after breaking all of Mao and Yu-Na's junior scoring records, people said Zhang was a lock for gold in Vancouver. Growth issues and poor technique plagued her and she didn't even make the US team.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    19
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I definitely need to see how Mirai does the up-comming season before I can start thinking of her as a potential World Champion contender. Its way to early to even start thinking of Sochi yet. Mirai definitely impressed me with her 4th place finish and clean programs at the Olympics, but she was still 12.5 points behind Joannie so its not like she just barely missed out on the podium. Her score was more in line wth Miki's and Laura's so she was much closer to getting bumped to 5th or 6th then she was to getting 3rd. At Worlds this year, she could have had a medal due to major mistakes by others if she had skated a clean long.

    She has definitely shown the figure skating world that she is someone to think about and take serious so reputation should be on her side this coming year if she continues to skate well. To contend for the world title with the current crop of skaters, she needs to get her 3-3s consistent and fix her underrotation issues that she gets dinged for sometimes. Dealing with her nerves issues would also help.

    Its way to early to start considering anybody as a major contender for the OGM in Sochi yet. Its too far away. Yes, I'm sure if Kim Yu-Na sticks around, she will be talked about as a contender, and Mao Asada will be there with her triple axels, but there could well be other girls doing them at that point too. There will always be new talent coming through the pipelines and the cast of major contenders is never exactly the same from one Olympics to the next. Maybe the person we will all be talking about in 2014 is 12 years old right now and not even eligible for the Junior level yet?

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    At the end of the 2006/07 season after breaking all of Mao and Yu-Na's junior scoring records, people said Zhang was a lock for gold in Vancouver.
    I recall Caroline being considered a lock to make the Vancouver team, but I don't recall her being a lock to win.

    Anyway, things can change drastically from just one season the the next. Last summer, wasn't Mirai telling the media how she wasn't very pretty or very smart? Skating is a very dynamic, rapidly changing landscape.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Kwan, however, did not skate to "Carmen" four years before skating to Schez. Did Fratianne?
    Fratianne skated to Schez in 76 and 78. She skated to Carmen in 79 and 80.

    It's still a puzzle to me why Frank had her skate to Schez again in 78 in a program that was a pale comparison to her 76 performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •