Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: coincidence?

vCash
    I have no problem with Mirai winning in '14.

There should be a vBet event - "Will Mirai skate to Schez. for her FS in the '13-'14 season?"

vCash
    This will probably only work if Mirai first wins '13 Worlds skating to Gershwin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    There should be a vBet event - "Will Mirai skate to Schez. for her FS in the '13-'14 season?"
    And will Mirai register anonymously at FSU, bet big on that question, and then manipulate the outcome with her own music choice?

vCash
    I love it that people have decided that Russian skaters, or any country's skaters for that matter, are going to win gold in 2014. We don't even know if these teams will still be together in 2014.

Every season we have people telling us that his skater is that one is absolutely a "lock" for the gold and how often has that turned out to be correct?

I'd rather wait another 3+ years before I begin to speculate on who will win the gold in Sochi and then it will be based on who is skating, who is healthy and who is not, and who looks ready to contend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I love it that people have decided that Russian skaters, or any country's skaters for that matter, are going to win gold in 2014. We don't even know if these teams will still be together in 2014.

Every season we have people telling us that his skater is that one is absolutely a "lock" for the gold and how often has that turned out to be correct?

I'd rather wait another 3+ years before I begin to speculate on who will win the gold in Sochi and then it will be based on who is skating, who is healthy and who is not, and who looks ready to contend.
    But noone is saying here that they are a "lock" for the gold. What people are saying is that they have quite a few strong pairs, so it won't be their weakest discipline (in comparison with other skating disciplines).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I think the Sochi's golds for dance and pairs are already done deals for Russia. There won't be any need to "deal" with the US or any countries. And this time, they seriously want the ladies gold ("sweep" if possible).
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    But noone is saying here that they are a "lock" for the gold. What people are saying is that they have quite a few strong pairs, so it won't be their weakest discipline (in comparison with other skating disciplines).
    See above... At least ONE poster knows...

However, I give this just as much weight at Mr Wier's "whining" that the only reason he didn't win a medal was that Evan did......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    See above... At least ONE poster knows...

However, I give this just as much weight at Mr Wier's "whining" that the only reason he didn't win a medal was that Evan did......
    But isn't that the same type of speculations we have all over this forum? Such as, Mirai Nagasu is strong for gold in Sochi, she is strong enough to beat Asada, Kim and ....(add there names)...

vCash
    But isn't that the same type of speculations we have all over this forum? Such as, Mirai Nagasu is strong for gold in Sochi, she is strong enough to beat Asada, Kim and ....(add there names)...
    They just provide entertainment too.

The nice thing about this board is that some posters KNOW who will win without the event taking place (and then KNOW their skater was robbed without seeing the event. )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    They just provide entertainment too.

The nice thing about this board is that some posters KNOW who will win without the event taking place (and then KNOW their skater was robbed without seeing the event. )
    I guess this goes to show you how desperate we are for the GP series to start. When we start predicting who will win light years in the future.

And I thought UMBS's vbets for the GP Finals was a bit premature.

vCash
    I doubt if Russia will win gold in any of the figure skating disciplines in 2014, but then again you never know what unexpected something can happen. As the cliché says; ice is slippery.

vCash
    I did say that I thought it ridiculous to say that any skater(s) would win gold in 2014 at this point. At the end of the 2006/07 season after breaking all of Mao and Yu-Na's junior scoring records, people said Zhang was a lock for gold in Vancouver. Growth issues and poor technique plagued her and she didn't even make the US team.

vCash
    I definitely need to see how Mirai does the up-comming season before I can start thinking of her as a potential World Champion contender. Its way to early to even start thinking of Sochi yet. Mirai definitely impressed me with her 4th place finish and clean programs at the Olympics, but she was still 12.5 points behind Joannie so its not like she just barely missed out on the podium. Her score was more in line wth Miki's and Laura's so she was much closer to getting bumped to 5th or 6th then she was to getting 3rd. At Worlds this year, she could have had a medal due to major mistakes by others if she had skated a clean long.

She has definitely shown the figure skating world that she is someone to think about and take serious so reputation should be on her side this coming year if she continues to skate well. To contend for the world title with the current crop of skaters, she needs to get her 3-3s consistent and fix her underrotation issues that she gets dinged for sometimes. Dealing with her nerves issues would also help.

Its way to early to start considering anybody as a major contender for the OGM in Sochi yet. Its too far away. Yes, I'm sure if Kim Yu-Na sticks around, she will be talked about as a contender, and Mao Asada will be there with her triple axels, but there could well be other girls doing them at that point too. There will always be new talent coming through the pipelines and the cast of major contenders is never exactly the same from one Olympics to the next. Maybe the person we will all be talking about in 2014 is 12 years old right now and not even eligible for the Junior level yet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    At the end of the 2006/07 season after breaking all of Mao and Yu-Na's junior scoring records, people said Zhang was a lock for gold in Vancouver.
    I recall Caroline being considered a lock to make the Vancouver team, but I don't recall her being a lock to win.

Anyway, things can change drastically from just one season the the next. Last summer, wasn't Mirai telling the media how she wasn't very pretty or very smart? Skating is a very dynamic, rapidly changing landscape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Kwan, however, did not skate to "Carmen" four years before skating to Schez. Did Fratianne?
    Fratianne skated to Schez in 76 and 78. She skated to Carmen in 79 and 80.

It's still a puzzle to me why Frank had her skate to Schez again in 78 in a program that was a pale comparison to her 76 performance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12