Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: coincidence?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    172
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    coincidence?

    I was just thinking:
    In 2006, Evan placed 4th in his first Olympics, coached by Frank Carroll while skating to Carmen. He went on to win his second Olympics in 2010.

    This bodes well for Mirai! Think about it: 4th in her first Olympics, coached by Frank Carroll skating to Carmen! She better not test the fate Gods and just plan to skate to Sheherezade in 2014!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The next OG is in RUSSIA. This doesn't bode well for Frank Caroll's people.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,532
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5563
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    The next OG is in RUSSIA. This doesn't bode well for Frank Caroll's people.
    So long as there is no Russian or European lady who has a legitimate shot at the Gold medal, it shouldn't make that much difference.

    During this next cycle I expect that Russia will focus on the development of dance and pair teams which can contend for a medal. They have always been strong in these fields but generally weak in ladies.

    And if any deals are going to be made and Mirai is a favourite for Gold, Russia might make a deal with the US.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    312
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    So long as there is no Russian or European lady who has a legitimate shot at the Gold medal, it shouldn't make that much difference.

    During this next cycle I expect that Russia will focus on the development of dance and pair teams which can contend for a medal. They have always been strong in these fields but generally weak in ladies.

    And if any deals are going to be made and Mirai is a favourite for Gold, Russia might make a deal with the US.
    I think the Sochi's golds for dance and pairs are already done deals for Russia. There won't be any need to "deal" with the US or any countries. And this time, they seriously want the ladies gold ("sweep" if possible).

  5. #5
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    37,706
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    15602
    If Mirai skates to Scheherazade in Sochi, we will know the sekret Frank Carroll program for Olympic success.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,622
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15753
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    The next OG is in RUSSIA. This doesn't bode well for Frank Caroll's people.
    If there is any event that the Russians probably wont win it would be the ladies. I bet they find a way to clinch the dance and pairs but at this point everything is way too far away to even have a clue.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Someone has a lot of free time on their hands

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15832
    I am not sure that you can increase the probabilities on the back of one skater.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,130
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The Russian ladies will be Russia's best shot for gold come Sochi. They have an embarrassment of riches right now with young up and coming ladies. Not all of them are going to blow up on them.

    The Russian pairs program has taken a big hit and it won't recover from it. Economically they will find out now how difficult it is to keep pair teams together. As Russia gets stronger in one discipline they will get weaker in others.

    Their jr. dance team (I/K) will definitely be pushed to the forefront and they will contend for gold in Sochi.

    Russia will not contend for gold in either pairs or mens. Volozo./Trankov will not win gold in Sochi. No way no how. She will be past her prime by them and Trankov has never been much of a competitor. The rest of their pairs are far too weak to ever contend for an olympic medal.

    Ladies and dance will be Russia's only shot for olympic gold come Sochi.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,347
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    8773
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
    The Russian ladies will be Russia's best shot for gold come Sochi. They have an embarrassment of riches right now with young up and coming ladies. Not all of them are going to blow up on them.

    The Russian pairs program has taken a big hit and it won't recover from it. Economically they will find out now how difficult it is to keep pair teams together. As Russia gets stronger in one discipline they will get weaker in others.

    Their jr. dance team (I/K) will definitely be pushed to the forefront and they will contend for gold in Sochi.

    Russia will not contend for gold in either pairs or mens. Volozo./Trankov will not win gold in Sochi. No way no how. She will be past her prime by them and Trankov has never been much of a competitor. The rest of their pairs are far too weak to ever contend for an olympic medal.

    Ladies and dance will be Russia's only shot for olympic gold come Sochi.
    I agree with you that the ladies will be a strong discipline for Russia in Sochi. They have far too many good ladies that are just now entering the juniors and it is very unlikely that all of them would not manage to go through puberty.

    However, I disagree that Russian weakest discipline will be pairs. At the moment they have 6 reasonably strong pairs, so if either of them starts having problems, they will be very easily replaced. In regards to Volosozhar being too old...well look at the age of Shen/Zhao.... Besides, all the current top pairs will be around that age - for example I don't think Savchenko/Szolkovy, Pang/Tong etc are much younger.

    In my opinion the weakest discipline will be men, byt saying that, I haven't been following young Russian men (juniors who will just become eligible for Sochi) so it may be that actually they are not going to have a weak discipline.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    Someone has a lot of free time on their hands
    Probably !

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,683
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3943
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
    Russia will not contend for gold in either pairs or mens. Volozo./Trankov will not win gold in Sochi. No way no how. She will be past her prime by them and Trankov has never been much of a competitor. The rest of their pairs are far too weak to ever contend for an olympic medal.

    Ladies and dance will be Russia's only shot for olympic gold come Sochi.
    Tatiana Vol. won't necessarily be past her prime- she'll be only 27- much younger than Gold or Silver pair medalists this year.
    I have no way of knowing, of course! - but vague recent reports from FSO boards say that Volosozhar/ Trankov look excellent in practice. We'll know more very soon.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    229
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    If Mirai skates to Scheherazade in Sochi, we will know the sekret Frank Carroll program for Olympic success.
    Except in Michelle's case

    ETA: D'oh - forgot that she had already left him by then but I think she was still with him when that program was originally conceived...

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, it is coincidence.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604
    How about in 2006 Lysacek bombed in his short program and while Nagusu did fine she got a nosebleed which could have caused problems. So they both had problems in the short but did well in the long.

    I forget what this thread was about while I was reading it because it turned into a thread about Russia because of the idea that no Carroll skater would do well in Russia. I don't agree that pairs will be weakest. I think men will be weakest. Russia as of right now has three seniors and one junior with potential in mens. Actually I am never sure what kind of performance Voronov will give. Then there is Plushenko who says stuff like the Japan Open is training for Sochi but that can be seen as just smart PR.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    186
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think the minimum of two ladies with triple Axel -- perhaps all UR'd versions, tho -- will have a legit shot at the gold. I don't think Mirai is going to be one of them. Then, her best shot is to perfect 3Lz-3T. However, with the comparative advantages of 3-3 and even 2A-3 minimized both in comparison with 3A and in terms of relative scoring advantage over UR'd versions, Mirai will be at disadvantage against better competitions even if she somehow gets her 3Lz-3T down.

    So, The new rules may prove to be a double edged sword for Mirai. Apparently, she is to reap the benefits of the 70% rule. Though that helps to stablize her lower limit in scoring and therefore improve her chance at the podium (at least before Sochi), in order for Mirai to win either gold or silver consistently at a bigger stage, she must fully rotate her jumps. The new rules does not help her in that regard.

    Actually, if both Yuna and Mao show up along with a couple of Russian girls in Sochi, Mirai may not have a decent shot at the podium unless they bomb their programs.

    Of course, Mirai has a serious political backing because she can affect the two biggest figure skating markets, the U.S. and Japan. She also has the examplary flexibility that makes good TV for casual fans. I guess she won't suffer in terms of PCS. But, that won't be guaranteed in Sochi, either.

  17. #17
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,814
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    1742
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    If Mirai skates to Scheherazade in Sochi, we will know the sekret Frank Carroll program for Olympic success.
    You forget Kwan and Fratianne also skated to Schez.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,344
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    You forget Kwan and Fratianne also skated to Schez.
    Kwan, however, did not skate to "Carmen" four years before skating to Schez. Did Fratianne?

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,938
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Kwan, however, did not skate to "Carmen" four years before skating to Schez. Did Fratianne?
    Actually, she did technically
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQNcoAVN3-0

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,344
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    Actually, she did technically
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQNcoAVN3-0
    You're right ... it was the '98/'99 season, not just the '99 season. However, she did not skate to "Carmen" at her first Olys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •