Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    With photos or videos it's a bit tricky though, because anyone can take your picture and upload it wherever. I'm still insanely grateful neither Facebook nor YouTube were around when I was a teenager. Although I suppose inappropriate photos might drown in the white noise eventually if everyone ends up having theirs posted online.
    Don't do things you wouldn't want to be photographed doing. I don't care if someone posts an ancient photo of my awful hairstyle from sixth grade--it's hardly defamatory. Or a photo of me holding a drink. There aren't any photos of me doing drunken stupid stuff because I don't engage in the behavior. If you DO engage in embarassing behaviors, the problem is really not that there are photos of it.

vCash
    Well, I think it's a bit more tricky than that. There are all kinds of reasons why I may not want others to see pictures and video of me.

Sometimes it's because the picture is downright unflattering (a little vanity issue, anyone ), and other times it's because I do not necessarily want all my friends to know where I go and with whom I go.

Generally I just prefer to remain low key and not broadcast my daily activities, but with friends who are just so eager to post pictures, it has become a little hard to do so. Even if I can untag a picture, I can't delete it from my friend's wall.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Facebook's new feature should get some people excited:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...locations.html
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Be sure to go into your privacy settings and set the way you want "Places" to work. Here's description on how to do that.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Don't do things you wouldn't want to be photographed doing.
    Like going to the bathroom? There are tonnes of things I do that I don't want photographed. Being sick from food poisoning, having nose bleeds, changing clothes, falling on my face, taking a shower, having sex, sleeping, chewing food are but a few.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I don't care if someone posts an ancient photo of my awful hairstyle from sixth grade--it's hardly defamatory. Or a photo of me holding a drink. There aren't any photos of me doing drunken stupid stuff because I don't engage in the behavior. If you DO engage in embarassing behaviors, the problem is really not that there are photos of it.
    It all depends on how you define "embarassing". I do embarassing things while sober all the time (I'm somewhat of a klutz). If I wouldn't be okay with that I wouldn't be able to leave the house. Holding a drink is fine in private settings, but some recruiters might frown upon a photo of you on the dance floor holding a beer if you're looking drunk, even if you were relatively sober. Also it's one thing when it's adults, but teenagers do stupid and shortsighted stuff all the time and I find it a bit unfair that doing something stupid when you're 18 would be photographed by someone else and end up haunting you for the foreseeable future.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    Like going to the bathroom? There are tonnes of things I do that I don't want photographed. Being sick from food poisoning, having nose bleeds, changing clothes, falling on my face, taking a shower, having sex, sleeping, chewing food are but a few.
    Photographing you without your consent in most of those cases is a CRIME. If someone is snapping pictures of you in the shower, the changing room, on the toilet, then you have bigger issues than embarassment. Chewing food? It's not dignified, but it's hardly something to be ashamed of. That's more like your hangup. I've seen hundreds of proofs on photographers' websites of me caught in positions or facial expressions while dancing that I HATE. Anyone browsing can see them, and if they REALLY felt like looking it would be very easy to ID me by name. If I were that worried, though, I'd never leave my house.

If you voluntarily make a sex tape/photos--well, you really should have known better. Fall on your face? If someone laughs, that doesn't embarass you, that tells you they're a jerk. I don't know how a nose bleed or vomiting is embarassing. You're not doing it on purpose and it says more about the person who thought they should post it.

It all depends on how you define "embarassing". I do embarassing things while sober all the time (I'm somewhat of a klutz). If I wouldn't be okay with that I wouldn't be able to leave the house. Holding a drink is fine in private settings, but some recruiters might frown upon a photo of you on the dance floor holding a beer if you're looking drunk, even if you were relatively sober. Also it's one thing when it's adults, but teenagers do stupid and shortsighted stuff all the time and I find it a bit unfair that doing something stupid when you're 18 would be photographed by someone else and end up haunting you for the foreseeable future.
    And if a recruiter will not hire you because of a picture of you as a legal adult holding a beverage, where are you applying for work? The Vatican? I work with CHILDREN and they don't check things like that. (If you're underage, congratulations, you DID commit a criminal act, so it's hardly fair to blame facebook for people catching you. That goes for anything criminal--why were you doing it in the first place? If it's not illegal but just stupid teenage crap, there's your chance to explain that you have outgrown such juvenile behaviors. If you haven't? You probably shouldn't be someone they hire.)

We've all done things we will never live down. It teaches us to behave better in the future and not make stupid choices.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Another example of the importance of checking your privacy settings - or not saying stupid things on facebook.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123