Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    One thing on facebook that has had me raising an eyebrow recently is its "suggested pages". It is suggesting pages for me based on interests that I *deleted* from my page many months ago (when they made all interests linked and public). It's obvious from the suggestions that even though I deleted the info, facebook has still retained it. Just makes one even more aware of what one posts - have to have the mentality that everything is public, even the things you thought you got rid of by deletion!
    I'm not that anxious about someone knowing my interests, hobbies, etc., (long ago deleted) and never posted anything that could/would identify others - never uploaded photos of humans for instance - but I found Facebook's suggestions somewhat disconcerting, too.

Really don't miss the potency ads, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    How can you stop the privacy invasion? Delete every photo off your account, and then delete your account forever. It's the only way.
    Nope. not deleted. Someone can ask the court for them as evidence. Nope, not deleted.

I ask people before I post any pictures. AFAIK, no one has posted pictures of me without my consent. I choose my friends carefully. And use the youropenbook.org to see if I can be found easily. I assume that if persistent and someone has a working knowledge of how it can be set up they can find you.

Morale - don't post what you don't think is grandparent safe. And certainly don't post about your sex life like some people do
    Last edited by numbers123; 08-16-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: correct spelling errors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    I'm not that anxious about someone knowing my interests, hobbies, etc., (long ago deleted) and never posted anything that could/would identify others - never uploaded photos of humans for instance - but I found Facebook's suggestions somewhat disconcerting, too.
    Do not be so certain.

I used to have a very random list of activities/hobbies - things that would only make sense to a number of people who knew me on a very personal level. Silly stuff. Jumping up and down, for example.

A few months ago, Facebook made this change where all your interests had to be linked to 'fan pages'. These allow the user to find other people who are into the same things. I removed all my hobbies immediately. But just yesterday, what popped up in the "Recommended Pages" area? Jumping up and down did, and some other (very random and very me-specific) phrases I used to have on my profile also did.

So... you might have removed the info... but it's still there. In other words, Facebook still has it.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothlorien View Post
    So... you might have removed the info... but it's still there. In other words, Facebook still has it.
    I know Facebook still has the information. Clicking on my Accounts information the other day, I saw a suggestion recommending I reinstate all the information I had deleted - in my own words. I was not pleased.

Nevertheless, my first post was to point out that even though I had deleted information (hobbies, etc.) I had never posted photos of others or myself, or any personal information which would prove embarrassing to anyone else to to begin with.

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    I like it when people tag me better than when people don't - at least that way I know it's there. I share a lot of things online and I'm not afraid to do so - I have nothing to hide from anyone. I do like to be aware of what's out there, though.
    Me too. l occasionally perform and those pictures can end up all over the place, so it's good to see what's out there if one of my fellow performers find any photos and tag me.
    One thing on facebook that has had me raising an eyebrow recently is its "suggested pages". It is suggesting pages for me based on interests that I *deleted* from my page many months ago (when they made all interests linked and public). It's obvious from the suggestions that even though I deleted the info, facebook has still retained it. Just makes one even more aware of what one posts - have to have the mentality that everything is public, even the things you thought you got rid of by deletion!
    I'm pretty sure their EULA used to state they basically keep everything for all time. There are some sites that tells you how to delete your accounts completely, but it'd still be there in their backups and at least in the EU sites *have* to keep info for 3 months or so in case there is a police investigation. And I'm willing to bet they delete the bare minimum, they make their living out of the information they gather, after all.

I hate most of the targeted ads. I'm not in need of either diets or diapers, and it seems that's all my demographic ever gets. I suspect I'd be more interested in the ads targeted at males my age.

vCash
    I don't have Facebook, but I've heard a lot of bad things about it. Maybe I will wait until they get their act together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Nope. not deleted. Someone can ask the court for them as evidence. Nope, not deleted.
    Yes, but there is a huge difference between some content being requested by a court and having a searchable profile on facebook, if you see what I mean

Morale - don't post what you don't think is grandparent safe. And certainly don't post about your sex life like some people do
    Hmm. The sex life advice goes without saying, but my Grandfather has a totally different idea about what's appropriate...he'd think naked pictures would be funny. So being grandparent safe might depend on the grandparent!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Yes, but there is a huge difference between some content being requested by a court and having a searchable profile on facebook, if you see what I mean
    Yes, I see what you mean. I was just addessing the I deleted it so it is gone statement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Yes, I see what you mean. I was just addessing the I deleted it so it is gone statement.
    No, it's never gone, but if someone decides to delete their account it's better to delete everything off it first, or at least I read that somewhere.

Nothing is ever gone from a mobile phone either. Even when you can't see the contact or sms anymore, a technician could get it back if they wanted to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    I have the geotagging feature turned off on my Blackberry camera, and I never allow geotagging in Facebook or Twitter.

Again, security online starts with the user. Of course, the best way to ensure your privacy is to not make use of any of the applications that are out there. The next best way is to make yourself aware of how your information is used, and use any available privacy features to protect yourself, and as someone else pointed out, take charge of your digital footprint by taking care in what you post.

Not really all that difficult...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lash View Post
    can't be said enough. Why is this so hard for people to realize? I don't understand all the "privacy" outrage people have. Don't want it out there, don't post it. Pretty simple.
    Seriously. Not hard. If you don't want people to see your photos, don't put them on the internet, anywhere, at all.

vCash
    I agree with the sentiments here. I'm not "outraged" and I don't think it's an "invasion" because I'm choosing to use the service. And I also choose to take advantage of all the privacy settings offered. That said, I still don't put anything on there even remotely questionable, or anything that a potential employer could find offensive.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    A couple of days ago I was listening to a coversation on the radio where they were talking about how Facebook makes its money, and it made me think how upset people were when they realised that Facebook was going to use their profile information for the purposes of customising the ads that you see...
    But in actuality it is a really good thing for both the user and the advertiser. I never have to see random ads about male potentcy, or dating sites, etc, because I'm not in the target demographic.
    This weekend I started getting a bunch of moomy group ads that I'm pretty sure appeared because I posted a picture of my visiting friend and her toddler.

When I create an album of specific things, or specifically old pictures from high school or college, I tag, but I find if I'm just posting a pic I took, I don't tag. And I don't tag my teenage nieces, even though I'm FB friends with 2 of them. I figure if they want to be tagged they'll do it themselves.

There's only one photo out there that I want to untag myself - from college, a group pic and I just had really awful hair then. But I know if I untag myself some other well intentioned person will tag me again, so I let it be
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    This weekend I started getting a bunch of moomy group ads that I'm pretty sure appeared because I posted a picture of my visiting friend and her toddler.
    So did you tag it or caption it somehow with the word "toddler" or something along those lines?

Or were they able to make the connection from the image alone?

vCash
    I don't think I used the word toddler or even child - I think I said something like "C with her cutie pie!" or even "spent the day with these lovely ladies". Creepy!
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    gen, if you un-tag yourself in any picture on facebook, no one can re-tag you in that photo again (as far as I can tell-- I've tagged people in photos, then saw the photos again later and thinking that I'd forgotten to tag them in the first place tried to tag them again. However, an error message appears saying that those people have un-tagged themselves and can no longer be tagged in the respective photos).

Does that make sense? It kinda sounds like gibberish on the second read.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    I hate most of the targeted ads. I'm not in need of either diets or diapers, and it seems that's all my demographic ever gets. I suspect I'd be more interested in the ads targeted at males my age.
    My targeted ads are wierd. They're very rarely in English, despite that being the language I use facbook in, so I don't know how targeted they are. More to the point, they're mainly in Dutch while I live in a French speaking city but the ads appear to have girls in bikinis holding drinks...so I guess they have my age, but not my gender?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    gen, if you un-tag yourself in any picture on facebook, no one can re-tag you in that photo again (as far as I can tell-- I've tagged people in photos, then saw the photos again later and thinking that I'd forgotten to tag them in the first place tried to tag them again. However, an error message appears saying that those people have un-tagged themselves and can no longer be tagged in the respective photos).
    Oh! That totally makes sense. Maybe I'll try it. Most people who know me expect tragic hair from my 20s (er...and kinda now, too )

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Seriously. Not hard. If you don't want people to see your photos, don't put them on the internet, anywhere, at all.
    With photos or videos it's a bit tricky though, because anyone can take your picture and upload it wherever. I'm still insanely grateful neither Facebook nor YouTube were around when I was a teenager. Although I suppose inappropriate photos might drown in the white noise eventually if everyone ends up having theirs posted online.

My targeted ads are wierd. They're very rarely in English, despite that being the language I use facbook in, so I don't know how targeted they are. More to the point, they're mainly in Dutch while I live in a French speaking city but the ads appear to have girls in bikinis holding drinks...so I guess they have my age, but not my gender?!
    I don't know which online ad agency FB uses, but usually they want gender, age and area code/postal code at the very least. Google keeps more stats (creepily so, sometimes), but that's the bare minimum I've had to deliver to ad agencies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast