Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Facebook - how can we stop this privacy invasion?

I noticed this for the first time on facebook today. On the photos page where it shows all the pictures your friends have posted, there's that part on the right hand side that rotates between ads, events, and suggestions...but there's also one that appears called "photo memories." Well, today I noticed that it was letting me know that certain friends were tagged in albums. The problem is that these friends have their settings set so that no one can see their tagged photos. Also, the albums it's telling me they're tagged in are friends that we don't have in common. I really hope they fix this. This could really get some people in trouble. There's photos I'm tagged in that never bothered me because I knew that the chance that family members etc would seem them was like zero. Ugh, facebook

ETA: Also, one of my albums that I have set so that only 3 people can see it came up in my photo memories telling me that a friend (one of the people that can see it) had been tagged in it. I really hope that photo memory doesn't somehow let people jump that album privacy setting this way.
    Smoke a ciggy and have some fun!!!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    With the last format change, Facebook came out with a pretty bold statement that the idea behind the site is SHARING (their emphasis, not mine). They want everything on FB shared and open to everyone. Unfortunately it doens't surprise me at all that they may be advertising photos that the host does not want seen by the general public and all I can say is, assume that any photo on the web will be seen by more people than you intend.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Approach everything you put on Facebook as though there were no privacy settings and everyone in the world can see everything you post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    Approach everything you put on Facebook as though there were no privacy settings and everyone in the world can see everything you post.

can't be said enough. Why is this so hard for people to realize? I don't understand all the "privacy" outrage people have. Don't want it out there, don't post it. Pretty simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    BINGO!

Tell your "friends" tha tyou do NOT want to be tagged. Don't "friend" people/things you don't want others to see etc. My photo consist of "one" "resume" shot. End of discussion. One friend tagged me and got told "TAKE THAT OFF NOW" (which she did )

Trust me it comes back to haunt you. My office, like a lot of others, is checking facebook etc before we hire!

I don't link my facebook page to anything for example. I post on some travel boards that keep "promoting that" Not going to happen!

vCash
    I have no problem grasping what should be put on there. What I have a problem with is a policy where they lie. On the privacy setting they ask you who can see pictures and videos tagged of you. I chose "only me." I checked and that is still there. Then why are they letting people see pictures tagged of you through the photo memories? I can easily go untag the pictures of myself I don't feel comfortable being tagged in But this a multi-billion dollar company with millions of users that shouldn't be allowed to deceive users. If they don't want us to keep tagged photos private from your friends, fine, but take that supposed privacy setting away so users know their tagged pictures can be seen by anyone.

vCash
    El Rey, I have some advice about how to deal with Facebook, but you might not want to hear it. If you don't want to take the risk, don't roll your cursor over the spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    I have no problem grasping what should be put on there. What I have a problem with is a policy where they lie. On the privacy setting they ask you who can see pictures and videos tagged of you. I chose "only me." I checked and that is still there. Then why are they letting people see pictures tagged of you through the photo memories? I can easily go untag the pictures of myself I don't feel comfortable being tagged in But this a multi-billion dollar company with millions of users that shouldn't be allowed to deceive users. If they don't want us to keep tagged photos private from your friends, fine, but take that supposed privacy setting away so users know their tagged pictures can be seen by anyone.
    Have you set the privacy settings on each of your albums? You have to do that in order to prevent them from being seen by people you don't to see them.

I've seen the memories thing you're talking about and I haven't seen photos of any of my friends who don't allow viewing of their pics, nor have I seen photos of anyone who is not on my friends list in that memories widget.

I don't think they're lying; I think some settings are missing somewhere.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    Have you set the privacy settings on each of your albums? You have to do that in order to prevent them from being seen by people you don't to see them.

I've seen the memories thing you're talking about and I haven't seen photos of any of my friends who don't allow viewing of their pics, nor have I seen photos of anyone who is not on my friends list in that memories widget.

I don't think they're lying; I think some settings are missing somewhere.
    All my settings are as secure as possible, other than being tagged in photos. I have all sorts of lists, and all my albums are set so only the people who are in them can see them. I've even used certain sites that tests the strength of your settings (I actually think you posted that link). I like to think I'm pretty up to date with all there is to have a secure facebook (I have an advertising degree and am very familiar with social media),that's why I am bothered that facebook bypassed my privacy setting, either intentionally or by accident. I spent a good two hours refreshing the photos page to see who came up on the photo memories and even contacted some friends to confirm they had their tagged photos set to private. They confirmed they did, and when I went to their actual page their tagged photos didn't show up.

I haven't been able to find any article that states this is happening but found people complaining about it in comments.

http://www.insidefacebook.com/2010/0...vity-to-users/

samantha thorne Says:
    June 6th, 2010 at 5:20 am

I’m actually not a fan of “photo memories” at all, because it shows albums that I’m tagged in to other people. This is a problem because:
    a) We have no mutual friends in common.
    And
    b) I have my tagged photos hidden.
    So how is it fair that these “photo memories” show up when I have opted for these particular people to not see them? If they keep this up, I will definitely be deleting my profile.
    http://www.insidefacebook.com/2010/0...vity-to-users/
    Case Says:
    July 9th, 2010 at 1:34 am

I love photo memories. My kids’ private photos are now popping up on my page and I can see all the things that they are hiding from me! Seriously.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    More and more, I am so very happy that I never have nor ever will sign up for Facebook. I don't care how easy it is to use to keep in touch w/people. Didn't like the sound of it when it first hit everyone's attention and something about it didn't sound right to me. Very glad I listened to my instincts on that one now.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I, also, don't have Facebook & never will. I've had my experience of psychos on the internet before and here is the latest reason why my decision not to get one is final.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I love Facebook and that it has allowed me to reconnect with so many friends from when I was like 4 years old and up! I'm just very careful with what I write and post, whether it is my own status or a comment on something someone else posted. Is it something I would feel comfortable with my grandmother, the kid I babysit for, and my boss to read/see it? If no to any of those, then I don't post it.

As for tagging photos, I have my settings so that I am notified if anyone tags me in their photo. I *think* you are able to untag yourself (you don't have to ask the original person to do it). I had tagged someone and he untagged himself, and I was not able to re-tag him. This was a test we did a while ago, so I'm not 100% sure it still works that way. But I liked that you couldn't be "stealth-tagged" and not have any recourse. You untag yourself and that's the end of it. The original poster gets an error message like "this person does not want to be tagged" or something to that effect.

Never ever think your info is protected, because holes and worms and all that good stuff means nothing is ever truly safe. If you accept that and are smart about the content you post, then Facebook can be a wonderful way to "be with" friends you normally wouldn't get the chance to see.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    ^^^^What she said...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    How can you stop the privacy invasion? Delete every photo off your account, and then delete your account forever. It's the only way.

Even then, other people can still upload your photo, so you'd have to tell everyone you know that you're not okay with your photo being on facebook to have any say in the matter whatsoever.;
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    How can you stop the privacy invasion? Delete every photo off your account, and then delete your account forever. It's the only way.
    It's the only way that your name and account can't be tagged on Facebook.

But this is the age of the internet. Anything you do or say in public can be recorded, edited, and posted on the internet somewhere. If you maintain an presence on the internet, it is at least a way of controlling some of what is out there about you.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Every technical advance has had its' advantages, and disadvantages, for consumers.
    I'm very careful about what I post, everywhere!
    Yet, on occasion, problems still occur.

Still, would I return to a pre-Internet world?
    No!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    A couple of days ago I was listening to a coversation on the radio where they were talking about how Facebook makes its money, and it made me think how upset people were when they realised that Facebook was going to use their profile information for the purposes of customising the ads that you see. People were really up in arms about the idea at the time.

But in actuality it is a really good thing for both the user and the advertiser. I never have to see random ads about male potentcy, or dating sites, etc, because I'm not in the target demographic. And a small business in my province can use Facebook to advertise, and it'll reach the majority of young women/men in my province and no one else. It is a much more effective way to advertise on the internet than buying google ads.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I don't care if people can see my name and profile picture. Isn't that part of what Facebook is for, so people who know you can find you? Who else is going to be looking?

I am not thrilled that people might be able to see my photos, but again--what will happen if they do? If people know me, well, what difference does it make? And if they don't, why would they care? I will say that I never tag anyone and I have asked people to not tag me because I have found that that's a way into photo albums. But otherwise......?

Yeah, there are stalkers, but strangers aren't really the problem there--it's people you already know who are most likely to harm you and they don't really need Facebook to do it.

I get not liking the exposure; I understand not liking the fact that your security settings really aren't. But I really don't understand what everyone is so afraid of.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    I use facebook to advertise and its targeting options are great.

I'm able to advertise to people in certain cities only, to friends of people who have joined "xyz" fan page, to people in a certain demographic range, to people who have listed "xyz" as an interest, etc, etc. And I pay less as an advertiser to do that than to throw the net out too wide.. plus I get better results.

I like it when people tag me better than when people don't - at least that way I know it's there. I share a lot of things online and I'm not afraid to do so - I have nothing to hide from anyone. I do like to be aware of what's out there, though.

One thing on facebook that has had me raising an eyebrow recently is its "suggested pages". It is suggesting pages for me based on interests that I *deleted* from my page many months ago (when they made all interests linked and public). It's obvious from the suggestions that even though I deleted the info, facebook has still retained it. Just makes one even more aware of what one posts - have to have the mentality that everything is public, even the things you thought you got rid of by deletion!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    I like it when people tag me better than when people don't - at least that way I know it's there.
    If I post pictures of people, I just tell them "Hey, there's some pictures of you in this album on my page" and they do the same for me.

Works as well as tagging, IMO, and then it's just 'tween us.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast