vCash

Worrying of Neglected Puppies: Who To Contact

I walked into a Pet Store in the mall last night and what I saw broke my heart. All of the puppies looked very sad and several looked very very thin. None of them would approach the glass with excitement when someone approached and didn't even acknowledge that people were even there.

The kennels were all clean and everything, but I'm still very worried. Should I contact someone? If so, whom should I contact?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Unfortunately, pet stores often buy from puppy/kitten mills and the animals are often sickly, even when the store employees treat them well.

I don't know who you would contact about it - perhaps ask to speak to a manager or the owner of the pet store about the puppies? It breaks my heart too to think of poor little puppies like that.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    I walked into a Pet Store in the mall last night and what I saw broke my heart. All of the puppies looked very sad and several looked very very thin. None of them would approach the glass with excitement when someone approached and didn't even acknowledge that people were even there.

The kennels were all clean and everything, but I'm still very worried. Should I contact someone? If so, whom should I contact?
    You're in the U.S., right? Your city or county probably has an Animal Control Department. That's probably the first place to try. You might also try the local police or sherriff's department, and the Humane Society and/or the ASPCA if they have local branches.

vCash
    Contact your local SPCA, LC. They will be able to determine whether the puppies are being abused. Malnourishment qualifies as abuse, whereas looking sad and being shy likely doesn't.

Being in a pet store is generally not a nurturing environment for a pup
    and is very stressful. Pet stores arguably should not be able to sell puppies, especially given that most come from puppy mills.

The good news for pet store pups is that they have a chance to go to loving homes. Unfortunately, sometimes it can take a while. Friends of mine got a discount on a Pekingese pup who had been at a pet store for six months. He is not a very attractive dog and is really small, likely the runt of the litter. The six months in the pet store were obviously very rough on him, as he barks constantly and is extremely high strung.

vCash
    It may not qualify as abuse, but I'd say it's definitely a sign that something is wrong, especially when it's more than just one.

Thank You everyone, a friend of mine's mother works for the Sheriff, I sent her a text about what I saw and am hoping she can tell me the steps of whom to contact further and everything or if anything can be done at all.
    Last edited by LordCirque; 08-13-2010 at 12:21 AM.