View Poll Results: Who will make the world team besides Horton and Lleyva?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kevin Tan

4 21.05%
  • Brandon Wynn

13 68.42%
  • Jake Dalton

2 10.53%
  • Chris Brooks

11 57.89%
  • Chris Cameron

6 31.58%
  • Steven Legendre

14 73.68%
  • Bryan Del Castillo

0 0%
  • Paul Ruggeri

7 36.84%
  • Wes Haagensen

3 15.79%
  • Alex Buscaglia

0 0%
  • Daniel Ribiero

6 31.58%
  • Kyson Bunthuwong

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

vCash

2010 US Mens Gymnastics World Team

Who will make the men's world team besides Horton and Lleyva who are more or less shoe-ins IMO, so I left them off. Multiple choice allowed.
    Last edited by haribobo; 08-12-2010 at 12:29 PM.

vCash
    I was in the arena last evening. The presentation of the bronze Olympic medals to the 2000 US Women's team that were stripped from China was a very emotional happening. Dominique Dawes IMO, got a little out of control leaping off the rostrum to talk with reporters, leaving her teammates to stand there aimlessly.

Jonathan Horton did well, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be; unfortunately I missed his vault which I understand was spectacular. It's also too bad that he fell off the high bar. He was really impressive on that apparatus.

This is my first live competition. I'm trying to get used to the 6 or 4 (women's) event circus atmosphere. Need a few more sets of eyes as well as a couple of other brains to process what is going on!

They had GymBugs! Thank goodness, because I realized how much I did not know. It could fill an arena!

vCash
    I'll wait until after tomorrow night to make my predictions, but I think Brandon Wynn is looking really good for a spot. On the other hand, although Steven Legendre could win a world medal on vault, the U.S. is already strong on this apparatus and he can't really contribute much elsewhere.

vCash
    If McNeil is prepared to compete at worlds, I can't see them not taking him as he fills two very necessary holes on the team--Pommels and Rings. Assuming McNeil is not ready, then I'll go with

Chris Cameron
    Glen Ishino
    Brandon Wynn
    Chris Brooks

vCash
    While Leyva had his best competition of the year last night (perhaps his best ever), he is not a lock on the team at all IMO. Horton is definitely a lock, and he can cover five events in TF. Brooks outscored Leyva on Leyva's two best events (PB/HB) and had an additional .7 advantage on Danell for vault. Paul Ruggeri outscored Leyva on vault by 1.4 (would've been 1.2 without bonus applied), and also outscored him on floor even with .4 in neutral deductions. Ruggeri was just behind Leyva on HB and can be good on PB, too (although wasn't Wednesday). If USAG feels that Brooks can't do FX and Ruggeri can't do PB, Brandon Wynn could do those events in TF, and he has potential for a massive score on rings which Leyva can't bring in. Finally, pommel is Leyva's weakest event, so he can't contribute there. After night one, I would pick a World team of Horton, Brooks, Ruggeri, Wynn, McNeill, and Ribiero. Even if McNeill doesn't petition to the team, I would name Chris Cameron ahead of Leyva, because Cameron would add about .8 to the team on pommel (without Cameron and McNeill on the team, Horton would likely do PH in TF) and Cameron can outscore Leyva on rings by a little bit as well. Leyva is a competent all-arounder, which I think will help him when the team downsizes to five men in 2012, but for now I just can't see him being a necessary contributor to the team.
    Check out my figure skating blog out at:
    http://videoreplayartistry.blogspot.com/

vCash
    I went with:

Jonathan Horton
    Danell Levya
    Brandon Wynn
    Paul Ruggeri
    Daniel Ribiero
    Tim McNeil (if ready...if not, then Glen Ishino)

This is a strong team...I picked Ribiero just because he contributes an immense ammount on PH. Legendre contributes a lot on VT too, but the U.S. men are pretty strong on vault already. In this scenario, Wynn, Ruggeri and Horton could all vault in TF, and the team would still be in pretty good shape.

A pommel horse line up of Horton, McNeil/Ishino, and Ribiero is fairly solid as well (Horton seems to be making strides on this event, so that's promising).

vCash
    Horton
    Leyva
    Wynn
    Legendre
    Brooks
    McNeil/Ishino
    Last edited by Cloudy_Gumdrops; 08-14-2010 at 06:30 AM.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    I was in the arena last evening. The presentation of the bronze Olympic medals to the 2000 US Women's team that were stripped from China was a very emotional happening. Dominique Dawes IMO, got a little out of control leaping off the rostrum to talk with reporters, leaving her teammates to stand there aimlessly.
    I thought she ran down to put her medal on her coach, Kelli Hill. However, the person organizing the pics made her get her medal back so that she could pose with the team with them all having their medals. Some of the reporters were talking to Kelli, but Dominique just went to hug Kelli and give her the medal.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Re-assessing the scores after Nationals, I'd have to say the team would likely be among these 8- Horton, McNeil, Brooks, Wynn, Ruggeri, Legendre, Leyva, and Cameron.

Slim chance/alternates list would be Dalton, Ribeiro, and Buscaglia. Very slim chance should be Dixon, Ishino, Lieberman, Haagensen, Tan, Hagerty, etc.

It's too bad for Ribeiro that 1) didn't score as well on his 2nd night of pommel, and 2) he doesn't seem to be great at any other events. US could really use him on pommel but I don't think they'll take him just for that event....maybe if he was scoring in the 16's or something, but he's not.

I can understand the discussion now how Leyva is not a lock, because while he is a good AA and his PB and HB are strong, he really needs one more good event to really stand out from the pack. But i still think he makes it cause of his AA strength. Legendre is in a similar position- tops in the country on floor and vault, but no 3rd standout event...17.0 on vault and 15.6 on floor is hard to deny though.

Cameron is strong on some important events- pommel and rings. Its too bad that he's not just a little better on each, but I'd say he has a 50-50 chance of making the team. He and Tim McNeil are good at the same events, yes? But then Tim also does well on vault and PB which Cameron doesn't....so if Tim is in form, he probably gets the nod.

Wynn and Brooks are strong AA and each have 3 great events, so I see them both having a great shot. Ruggeri has great scores on floor, high bar, and vault. I see him having a very good shot at the team.

Dalton (FL and VT) and Buscaglia (HB and VT) are probably missing out this time but they are worth discussing at least...one more good event for each would put them in serious contention for the team.

Haagensen only has rings no longer is a top 3 AAer so he's pretty much guaranteed off the team this time. Hagerty has no standout scores at this time. Tan only has rings and I don't think that's enough anymore. I feel like for as long as he's been in it, he should have some other strong events by now. Ishino should be commended for scoring 14.6 on pommel, but he's not very strong on any other event. It's funny that Del Castillo was able to finish 4th on night one and 7th overall without being a top 5 scorer on any event.

This team announcement should be pretty exciting! Lots of great guys...I think this year's team will be stronger than last year's...
    Last edited by haribobo; 08-14-2010 at 04:27 PM.

vCash
    Heres some speculation on who will make the men's team-

http://www.universalsports.com/blogs...ens+world+team

For some reason, the speculator completely ignored Tim McNeil- not sure if he has inside info that McNeil is out of it, or he just forgot him.

A team of Leyva, Horton, Brooks, Legendre, Ruggeri, and Wynn looks the most likely to me.

Horton is obvious, Leyva's PB and HB are key and his other events aren't poor at least. Same for Brooks (well, 14.1 on floor kinda sucks but he wouldn't be needed there anyway). At least these 3 guys can score in the 14.0 range in pommel.

Legendre, Ruggeri (12.3 was his highest of both nights!), and Wynn all score terrible on pommel, but Legendre is key on floor and vault, Ruggeri can contribute on floor, vault, and high bar, and Wynn does great on rings and pretty good on PB and floor, and vault if needed.

This team would have to put up one sub-par rings guy and a full slate of 14.0's on pommel (barring improvement)....but would otherwise be pretty great.

Then again, if McNeil is in good form, this whole thing could be thrown off...I'd have Cameron and Buscaglia as alternates.

vCash
    I don't think there's anyone on that team that would score into the 14's on pommel horse at a World Championship. Horton maybe, but that's really stretching it.

I can't see them taking both Ruggeri and Legendre.

vCash
    It's been announced!

http://intlgymnast.com/index.php?opt...nes&Itemid=198

You were right, chips! Horton, Leyva, Brooks, Wynn, Legendre, and Cameron. ALT: Ruggeri. Good choices.

Glad to see them not messing around with one-eventers like Tan or Ribeiro. I'm sorry, but get a 2nd event already. Ruggeri is a great alternate. I guess McNeil is done for the season. :/

vCash
    Sounds like a good Worlds team to me!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Tim McNeill was at the event and accepted an award as athlete of the year or some similar award. It was nice to see him there to get the award even if he wasn't competing.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

JEWELS.
    vCash
    I think it's a good team. If they couldn't use McNeil, then at least Cameron can similarly cover PH and something else if needed.

After looking at all of the scenarios, I was figuring it would be Horton, Leyva, Wynn, Brooks, Legendre and then someone who had decent PH (McNeil or Cameron because they can do more than just PH if needed).

So, who would do what event for team finals?

FX: Horton, Legendre, Wynn
    PH: Cameron, Leyva, Horton
    SR: Wynn, Horton, Cameron
    VT: Legendre, Horton, Wynn/Brooks (ankle?)
    PB: Leyva, Brooks, Wynn/Horton (give the man a break?)
    HB: Brooks, Leyva, Horton
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 08-14-2010 at 11:28 PM.

vCash
    That's exactly the lineup I have, HisWeirness. And a pretty darn good one if they all stay healthy. I think all of these guys besides Cameron could medal on an event...not sure where Chris' pommel would rank him but the top 3 scores at worlds in that event last year were 16.2, 16.0, and 15.4.

vCash
    Thanks for all of your analysis Haribobo. I think the World team selection is quite logical: while the PH lineup will be very weak, the other five events are excellent. I have to eat my words about Leyva not deserving a spot, largely because of parallel bars. So many athletes who are talented there (notably Cameron and Ruggeri) did not deliver on that apparatus either day. This meant that Leyva, the most talented PB worker in the nation IMO, was suitable for the spot despite not being a contributor to the team on FX/SR/VT. He definitely adds to the team on HB as well, and he will likely now do PH in TF. Brooks also solidfied his spot via PB as well. If Brooks's feet are not giving him so many problems by Worlds, he could do FX in TF, as he was the top scorer on that event at American Cup. Wynn may actually only do one event in TF. His FX and PB are both a little behind Horton's, but his SR is an extremely big and reliable gain to the team. Cameron had one of his worst events in memory but did well enough on PH/SR to warrant a spot. Horton could very likely do AA in TF, but team competitions seem to fuel Horton more than any other, so I don't see that as being a huge issue.
    Check out my figure skating blog out at:
    http://videoreplayartistry.blogspot.com/

vCash
    Props once again to FSU for a job well done. We basically correctly predicted the team + alternate. Good luck to this great team at Worlds! And to all the other dudes who just missed the team at the Pan Am games. Nice for them to have a shot at a back-up Worlds.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I'm a big Brandon Wynn fan (love watching Big Ten gymnastics) so I'm really happy that he did so well this past weekend and made the world team. He's a really good guy in addition to being a solid gymnast. I actually like all six of the guys a lot this year. That's a great team we're sending to Worlds!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I'm a huge Brandon Wynn fan after seeing him compete live at the championships. I particularly love his PB routine - check out the super cool skill at about 0:19 into this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8byNrcnXYcw

I saw this the first night, had no idea who I was watching, then made sure to find out who had done the skill on night two and voila.