Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Yu-Na Kim's "All That Skate LA" Oct. 2-3 at Staples Center

Hope it's okay to start a new thread now that Yu-Na Kim's Los Angeles show has been confirmed? (If not, would a kind mod. please merge this thread with the other one and maybe revise the title?)

Here's the first English article (translated from a Korean news article) published in the Korea Times: Kim Yu-na to take ice show to LA

Tanith Belbin/Ben Agosto have confirmed their participation in the show on their official site: http://www.tanithandben.com/schedule.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-11-2010 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    I am so excited. Can't find any tickets available yet
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I'm sure that the date when tickets officially go on sale will be well-publicized.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy
    Yes. This is the second time this year Yuna picked exactly the same dates as other shows. First she picked the same dates as The Ice, IMG show in July, and now again she picked the same dates as Japan Open, Carnival on Ice, another IMG show/competition. IMG might be puzzled and wondering why Yuna always loves to pick the same dates as their shows.
    There’s a long history of IMG conflicts with Yuna’s career since the beginning that nearly resulted in her having to give up the sport due to lack of sponsorship, change in agency, court cases, unfairly and solely publically blamed for a cancelled IMG all star show in Korea due to fire. She was 16 at the time and probably the only one NOT represented by IMG. The condition of her performing at the show was so IMG should drop the court cases against her from changing her agency away from IMG to IB. It is also probably the very same reason you have never found Yuna appearing in an IMG show in Korea or anywhere else in the world since. There had also been a history of guests that was supposed to appear on her show suddenly pulled out at last minute due to pressures from IMG camp (a few slipped through though). This may change however as Yuna has own agency now.

In anycase, this strategy (if intended) of clashing with IMG events IMHO makes a welcomed and much needed attempt at anti monopolization and I wish there are more of it. I often speculate if the status quo of the figure skating industry were attribute to the ‘possibility’ IMG might be in bed with ISU. A total monopolization of any sporting market always results in disproportioned representation between sport and business. The athletes have less to say, less pay, less power overall, and it is no longer about the love of sport but opportunities for sole gains by the top echelons or the politicizing back channels that benefit the powerful federations. One can easily see from ISU’s behavior of treating the athletes like their own employees (or lesser) rather than collaborators, and the bombardments of rules, regulations and punishment that is so severe it could be career ending.

Re pricing, business wise it is too soon to price it without the cast set in stone, the price is likely to be reflective of star billings/fee. A show with or without Michelle Kwan would certainly affect the demand and therefore price of the tickets. Bench marking would certainly be a good idea, being Yuna’s first show in US as a test trial, I strongly feel it would be reasonably priced set in accordance to local market conditions and that the audiences would certainly get good value for money. I am also really hoping it would be broadcasted by the US network, now that would be something!

I wouldn't be surprised if the lower price tickets would be priced lower than the nearest competition, and the upper range tickets that would be where most of profits will be made. The people who’d really want to see Yuna (& Michelle if she is confirmed) would certainly ‘pay’ to see them and to get the best seats in the house. I know I would.

Banned Member
    vCash
    The dates being the same doesn't mean anything other than that paricular weekend is convenient for skaters. There are other shows put together on the same weekend.

vCash
    os168 - the conflict with IMG is almost solely between IB Productions in Seoul and IMG Korea (not a major IMG location), not with Yu-na Kim herself. I actually got the impression that Yu-na (and her mom) wanted out from under that continuing problem and that was one of the reasons for going out on her own - she is independent of all that stuff and can move along as she chooses. Her "people" like Brian and David have a long, close and good relationship with IMG; Brian has great relationship with Disson. I think All That Sports offers all those involved a new chance to eliminate the 'business politics' that have been a major issue in Korea so far.

I think that the conflicts are over now that All That Sports is a reality. I don't think that Yu-na is trying to conflict with a Disson show or anything like that - they are not being done in the same local geography; largely dates are more determined by the availability of the arena for tech setup, rehearsal and performance (between 5 and 7 days per show which can be a hard block of time to find at a major arena like Staples Center) than anything else.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-12-2010 at 02:12 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for your replies. Despite my last post, I am inclined to agree with you in this case, as it is a totally new territory for her with limited dates set at short notice, and prestigious venues like Staples Center can't be easy to come by. It would certainly be a different sets of conditions from back in Korea where she can probably get anything she want or need.

IMG conflict was mentioned to show years of prolong grudges and tit for tat by 2 rival agencies at Yuna’s expense that has certainly shaped her career. Like you expressed, I really hope they work it all out in the end and move forward in a positive direction, and hopefully no more sabotage of Yuna’s shows from IMG that currently hold dominance. I do appreciate to be successful in business, it is important to put all personal feeling aside and to socialize with everybody and Yes, Brian and David could certainly be instrumental to make the this happen and be successful in the US - big time!

vCash
    I doubt the conflict with IMG is a major issue regarding this show. Belbin and Agosto are represented by IMG and they are performing in Yuna's show.

vCash
    I really hope they work it all out in the end
    Drilling farther down into my message, I don't believe that there is anything to work out now. The grudge wasn't with Yu-na - it was between the businesses and she got caught in the crossfire. Now that she is on her own, I'm guessing that (continuing to mix my metaphors) the slate is clean and the relationship between ATS and IMG will be whatever the principals want it to be. Hopefully, it will be cordial and professional - no reason why not.

IB and IMG in Korea can continue to snipe at each other all they want but Yu-na is not involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I'm sure that the date when tickets officially go on sale will be well-publicized.
    Can't wait to get my hands on a couple of tickets...haven't been at an ice show in the US for ages already!

vCash
    For the sake of record and information, I leave the link to the previous thread here:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74595

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    There’s a long history of IMG conflicts with Yuna’s career since the beginning that nearly resulted in her having to give up the sport due to lack of sponsorship, change in agency, court cases, unfairly and solely publically blamed for a cancelled IMG all star show in Korea due to fire. She was 16 at the time and probably the only one NOT represented by IMG. The condition of her performing at the show was so IMG should drop the court cases against her from changing her agency away from IMG to IB. It is also probably the very same reason you have never found Yuna appearing in an IMG show in Korea or anywhere else in the world since. There had also been a history of guests that was supposed to appear on her show suddenly pulled out at last minute due to pressures from IMG camp (a few slipped through though). This may change however as Yuna has own agency now.

Your explanation of the reason why Yuna (and her company) picks the date of her shows on the same day of IMG shows is.......um........it means.... that
    she has personal resentment against IMG and now she is the queen, she wants to show to them and to the world that she has the power and the money to revenge IMG and she can beat them?

vCash
    Almost needless to say, she's smarter than all that and I'm sure doesn't live to create even more conflict. I think she's a bright and decent young woman who is probably looking for a business environment that is much less stressed than in the past. Some of the stress may have come from IMG Korea, some from IB - wherever it came from, I'll bet she's looking to put it behind her. My read of the former conflicts is however IB and IMG Korea battling, not IMG v. Yu-na Kim - she was the talent who got caught in the middle.

Please os168 remember things like "her show" wasn't her show, it was IB's show - she was not the producer, didn't own it. Now she will be the producer. Since the first participants announced for the LA show, Belbin & Agosto, are IMG clients, it's looking more pleasant already.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-15-2010 at 03:39 AM.

vCash
    Re Galaxy, Willowway... Sorry the post message came out all wrong, it was not my intention. I am simply offering my take on the IMG situation from the past, but I should know better, one should never dwell in the past and always look forward to the future. Any opinions are entirely my own and as with discussion boards, these opinions are still 'work in progress' so of course your feedback is greatly appreciated.

As Willowway have stated, things are changing after the agency change, so 'theoretically' it is a clean slate and I for one am looking forward to a great show that can hopefully develop into something else beyond an one-off. It is going to be a tough thing to establish as a newbie in the new territory but we will see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I for one am looking forward to a great show that can hopefully develop into something else beyond an one-off.
    It is going to be a tough thing to establish as a newbie in the new territory but we will see.
    Nothing yet on the Staples Center website or anywhere else that I can see.
    Man, they are really cutting it close on the timing.

vCash
    The show will surely be a success when you see the number of Koreans living in LA.

vCash
    Can't wait to see the A#1 living female skater of our times perform live in the USA! Definitely worth the cross-country flight. Now if Johnny Weir ends up in the line-up...that would be the cherry on top of the sundae!

vCash
    The success of the show may be a foregone conclusion. The question is, to me, if or not they can develop a short term format/template that is long term viable (at least over the next few years) though perhaps limited to some big metro areas wherein they can secure a commercial success. Good for everyone involved if so.

vCash
    Ticketmaster listed the show.

19:00 OCT, 2 - on sale:Mon, 08/23/10 10:00 AM

15:00 OCT, 3 - presale begins:Wed, 08/25/10 10:00 AM

Ticket Price: US $42.00 - US $260.00

vCash
    Wow, that's very expensive. :/

I doubt there will be a big audience.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast