Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I know there are some serious elements to this story, but I can't help laughing every time I hear about it. This is definiitely my favorite news story of the last week.
    Yep, mine too. As someone has already said, I wish there was a video clip of him sliding down the chute, beer can in hand.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    It sounds like something right out of The Simpsons.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Doh!

vCash
    I would only do what his guy did if I had won the lottery

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Here's an anonymous flight attendant's take on the story:

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...en-slater#more

I agree with all the main points:
    - why isn't the passenger involved getting slogged through the media wringer as well?
    - passengers often do not heed the rules that flight attendants are required to enforce
    - deploying the emergency exit slide was boneheaded, unnecessary, and dangerous
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Beach Bum
    vCash
    While the emergency exit stunt probably viloated all kinds of rules, it is a beautiful picture isn't it. Something out of a movie. We all need emergency exit slides.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    We all need emergency exit slides.
    Amen, Sister.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isk8NYC View Post
    I've done "early boarding" a few times and watched as jerks with two bags get on the plane, open the forward compartments (even dumping out the pillows/blankets to make room), shove their stuff in and waltz down the aisle to the back of the most-empty plane. They're not concerned - they're selfish.
    Oh, I didn't mean they are concerned in a good way. I meant they are only concerned with their own needs and that they are selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    The guy even looks like a Simpsons character.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    While the emergency exit stunt probably viloated all kinds of rules, it is a beautiful picture isn't it. Something out of a movie. We all need emergency exit slides.
    Closest I can think of is Fred and George from Harry Potter.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

- why isn't the passenger involved getting slogged through the media wringer as well?
    - passengers often do not heed the rules that flight attendants are required to enforce
    Thanks for posting this - very interesting.

I notice that both the beer-slingin' folk hero and this writer are male flight attendants. Most of the time when I see a passenger ignoring a flight attendant's instructions, it's some ego-driven macho guy (who is never as cool as he thinks he is) ignoring a female flight attendant. Interesting that male flight attendants get the same grief, although I would bet they get it much less.
    Last edited by overedge; 08-11-2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: typing eror
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Watch me move
    vCash
    Well, the man himself is having some fun....

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...45469768806134
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I think anyone who's ever had to deal with the public on a daily basis empathizes with this man.
    As I was working the reference desk today, I daydreamed about how I could make my headline-making exit....

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Interesting that male flight attendants get the same grief, although I would bet they get it much less.
    I imagine they get a very different sort of grief just for being male flight attendants.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I love this story ... I work with 'the public' and my coworkers and I had a laugh today talking about ways we would leave 'in a blaze of glory'. Our local newspaper article said he called the person a '14 letter slur' and we amused ourselves thinking of that one as well.

Gotta love someone who leaves a job in style!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

I would think that the passenger isn't all over the media is because of privacy rights or whatever? I don't know but unless it's proven that the passanger didn't comply with the seat belt sign - which as far as I'm concerned hasn't because that link also only states "if" - then that person didn't committ a crime. If that passenger didn't comply with the seat-belt sign I agree though that the passanger is at fault as well and should be fined accordingly.

I found this article interesting; though when the flight attendant says that the hotel might have been bad for Slater etc then the same thing applies for the passenger. Who knows where the passenger came from, had spent the night etc.

I think it's not right to blame solely Slater or the passenger. Both could have had unknown circumstances leading to their behavior, the problem is, Slater was doing the job he got paid for.

One thing though - yes we all know that flying is no fun anymore, however, the less people fly, the less flight attendants are needed, so, as sucking as it might be, I think it's in the flight attendants best interest to make up as much as they can for what their airline (and that ridiculous security circus) isn't providing in comfort.
    And we've certainly had our share of unfriendly flight attendants during an oversea flight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mindy74 View Post
    I think anyone who's ever had to deal with the public on a daily basis empathizes with this man.
    As I was working the reference desk today, I daydreamed about how I could make my headline-making exit....
    As Rob mentioned above, we all need an escape chute. I'm having one installed at my desk as we speak. Any grief comes my way, whoosh, I'm outta here. Wheeeeeee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Closest I can think of is Fred and George from Harry Potter.

PML! The flight attendant pulled a Weasley! Now I'm going to imagine the passenger who set him off as looking like Dolores Umbridge.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Another thing we should consider with regard to carry-on luggage and it fitting. The overhead compartments have not changed on planes. The seating, however, has. It seems that every time I get on a plane the seats are closer together. So, they are cramming more people into seats with the same amount of overhead space. Not taking away from the fact that some passengers are selfish and will take as much room for themselves as they can without considering anyone else. But flying has become unpleasant. There is no leg room. The seats are too narrow, I'm a size 2 and feel cramped, I can only imagine how a larger person feels. They have taken away most amenities. They charge for luggage. How much money do they get for all of that? Would it just be better to leave a little more room, take a few less passengers, don't charge for petty incidentals, and just raise the fares a little?

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I once quit a job like that -- I arrived at my office at 8:06, thoroughly wet and bedraggled after trudging to work about a mile through a heavy snowfall. My boss greeted me with "Good afternoon, skatingfan5" in a voice dripping with sarcasm. She then followed me as I went to hang up my snow covered hat, coat, muffler, mittens and delivered the last straw by uttering "You know we start work at 8 o'clock, don't you?". I snapped and said, "If you want me to quit, just say so. In fact, you don't even have to say so, I QUIT!!!!" I put on my coat and stomped out with her trailing behind saying "Wait! You don't want to act precipitously!" (She actually said precipitously ). My roommate couldn't figure out why I was back home before 8:30 but it really felt good to quit that job. I worked there just over a year -- in the following year they had 4 people in my old position -- one of whom lasted exactly one week. Obviously, it was not the ideal job for anyone.
    I quit a job after years of frustration too. I had worked for this small graphics company for 16 1/2 years and saved their a$$ many times. (The owner had started his own company because he was overlooked for a promotion that was given to the owner of that companies family member, and he thought that was so unfair. So what does he do, he starts his own company and does the same thing. Building this company for his sons, who want nothing to do with the business).

Well, I had been off for a week and this jerk forgot I was going to be gone. Even called my sister at work to see why I wasn't at work (she worked there for 12 1/2 years and had gotten a different job 3 years before this phone call). So, when I come in, he starts in on me and finally asked what my problem was. I just said "My problem is I work for you...no let me rephrase that, I WORKED for you."
    I threw the keys on the desk and never looked back. Best decision I ever made.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    Here's another creative job departure - loved this girl's creativity!

http://thechive.com/2010/08/10/girl-...ice-33-photos/
    I saw that yesterday and I loved it! Good for her!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast