Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    OTOH, I hate that flight attendants do not enforce the airline's rules about carry-on bags. On a flight a few weeks ago there was one woman who put THREE bags in the overhead bins at the front of the plane, and walked to her seat near the back. The flight was (of course) delayed by the need to check bags when people who boarded later didn't have room for even one bag overhead.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    I hope the lady that ignored this man's instructions and cursed him out is also taken to court & fined heavily.
    I hope so too. But since we haven't heard anything about her being detained or picked up, I doubt anything will happen. She deserves it though.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    OTOH, I hate that flight attendants do not enforce the airline's rules about carry-on bags. On a flight a few weeks ago there was one woman who put THREE bags in the overhead bins at the front of the plane, and walked to her seat near the back. The flight was (of course) delayed by the need to check bags when people who boarded later didn't have room for even one bag overhead.
    I don't really blame the flight attendants for that. Theoretically that is supposed to be done at check in. When you check in, they take your checked baggage (if you have any) and are supposed to ask what you are carrying on the plane. They, then, are supposed to determine if the bags are too big or if you have more than you are allowed. Some airlines are much better at handling this than others. Even security is supposed to keep an eye on how many bags and the size of bags you are taking on the plane. By the time the bags are carried onto the plane the attendants probably figure they've been approved. The real problem is people who take advantage. People, who just don't care about rules or other passengers. People who think they're special.

vCash
    I think on most airlines, if you bring excessive carryons (even if you got them past checkin and security) the flight attendants can require you to check the ones that are over the limit. But most airlines are so tightly scheduled that probably the flight attendants' main priority is to get everyone into their seats so the plane can leave on time.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    That drives me nuts when the people in the back put their bags in the front compartments. If they're too heavy to carry back to your part of the plane, don't bring them on board! It just delays the flight more because the people in the front seats have to either check (as stated) or climb to the back to find a spot/retrieve their bags.

I think part of the blame for that lapse in the rules belongs with the gate attendants for letting them on board with more than the allowed pieces. The flight attendants have to balance taking off on time against dealing with an irrational flyer like the one who clocked Mr. Slater.

vCash

ITA I can't stand it either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I think on most airlines, if you bring excessive carryons (even if you got them past checkin and security) the flight attendants can require you to check the ones that are over the limit. But most airlines are so tightly scheduled that probably the flight attendants' main priority is to get everyone into their seats so the plane can leave on time.
    Yes, I'm sure that is part of it as well. They are distracted by doing what they are actually supposed to do .

Quote Originally Posted by Isk8NYC View Post
    That drives me nuts when the people in the back put their bags in the front compartments. If they're too heavy to carry back to your part of the plane, don't bring them on board! It just delays the flight more because the people in the front seats have to either check (as stated) or climb to the back to find a spot/retrieve their bags.
    I don't know that it is necessarily that the bags are too heavy to carry back. I think many people just put their bags in the first empty compartments they find. They are concerned that the ones further back are full and they want to get their stuff in.

I think part of the blame for that lapse in the rules belongs with the gate attendants for letting them on board with more than the allowed pieces.
    Yes, but I think 99% of the blame is the passengers. They just don't care about other people.

vCash
    People who get up before the plane docks..............what idiots. Everyone knows you are not supposed to do this and really, you will save no time in the end so why do it????

This gy will really have a great story to tell after he gets a new job. Or, maybe they won't fire him given the situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    Or, maybe they won't fire him given the situation.

Oh, I'm pretty sure he's a goner.

vCash
    With all of this publicity, he's probably never going to get a job in the airline industry again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I don't know that it is necessarily that the bags are too heavy to carry back. I think many people just put their bags in the first empty compartments they find. They are concerned that the ones further back are full and they want to get their stuff in.
    I've done "early boarding" a few times and watched as jerks with two bags get on the plane, open the forward compartments (even dumping out the pillows/blankets to make room), shove their stuff in and waltz down the aisle to the back of the most-empty plane. They're not concerned - they're selfish.

vCash
    I always put my bags as close to my seat as possible.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W View Post
    I have empathy for the flight attendant as well. I've done plenty of flying lately and I always feel bad for them with all of the sh*t they have to put up with from bitchy passengers. Too many passengers take out their airline frustrations on flight attendants who almost always have nothing to do with the airline rules, delays, etc. I always try to be extra nice to the flight attendants on my flights because it's almost certain there are several jackasses on the flight who deserve to be shoved out the door and allowed to plummet to their deaths. I hope the lady that ignored this man's instructions and cursed him out is also taken to court & fined heavily.
    Oh, it's not just flight attendants that get crap slung at them. The two attendants on the VIA Rail train I took to Toronto for CSOI this Spring deserved medals for how they were able to handle a bad situation w/a wheelchair bound passenger. I more than understand the guy wanting out of the train, especially since it was close to 11 am and he had an 11:30am appt at one of the Hospitals (and why this guy didn't go down the day before, we never could figure that one out!!), but they only have four wheelchair ramps/systems to attach to the doors and four trains w/seven wheelchair bound people arrived at Union Station at the same time. Doesn't take a genuis to figure out why there was a delay.

Not their fault either, but did that make a difference to this guy? At one point, he got so ticked off at them, he was going to get off himself. Which for both safety and legal reasons, they couldn't allow. They finally got the ramp/whatever over to the door of our compartment and the guy finally got off. When they came to get me, they were thanking me over and over for being so understanding and patient. As I told them, I'm used to waiting as a disabled traveller. It's part of the price of travelling and nothing to get angry over. Then again...I'm also not stupid enough to travel from Sudbury to Toronto on the same day as a Doctor's appt. Still can't believe this guy did that. Anyway...

I've seen a lot over the last close to fifteen years of travelling on my own and anyone who is a Service Worker, but especially this day and age, and is actually doing the best they can w/what's given them, have my deep respect. There are those in the Service Industry though that deserve the crap they get from difficult people though, as they're only getting their own behaviour slung back at em.

That's a different thread though.

Sounds like this guy followed the proper proceedures for hitting the chute. At least he blew off his job in style and has made just about all the papers. I wish him well w/his legal battles.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    Now there's a man who knows how to make a dramatic exit! ROFL
    I know! If you're going to quit your job, that's the way to do it!

vCash
    I wonder how long before he'll be on Letterman doing a Top 10 list on "How to quit one's job in style" ?

Someone on the plane must know who this phantom passenger was. C'mon, spill the name and picture please.

vCash
    With all of this publicity, he's probably never going to get a job in the airline industry again.
    It's going to be hard for him to get a "normal" job anywhere for a while. I wouldn't want to hire someone who demonstrated a lack of self control.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isk8NYC View Post
    I've done "early boarding" a few times and watched as jerks with two bags get on the plane, open the forward compartments (even dumping out the pillows/blankets to make room), shove their stuff in and waltz down the aisle to the back of the most-empty plane. They're not concerned - they're selfish.
    it's to make for the most efficient exit off the plane - if they can jump out of their seats and move forward before the people grabbing stuuf, and then just grab their bags right before getting off the plane, it will save them time, and the annoyance of carrying their bags through the aisle with all the people.

I admit that when I'm travelling with all my bags checked and I'm on an aisle, I try to jump up and move forward before the crush as well - but I try to book window seats, so that's rare (and if I am travelling with a bag in the overhead I put it by my seat).

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I wonder how long before he'll be on Letterman doing a Top 10 list on "How to quit one's job in style" ?
    Next week, if Letterman's not still on vacation
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Here's another creative job departure - loved this girl's creativity!

http://thechive.com/2010/08/10/girl-...ice-33-photos/

vCash
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/steven-slat...1367793&page=1

That article doesn't show the flight attendant in such a good light though. It doesn't talk about anyone getting up before the seat belt sign has been turned off; it just sounds like he'd been fed up with his job and in that case, I don't have any sympathy for him.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Reading the comments on that first story link is pretty fun. People are overwhelmingly in the flight attendant's corner.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I know there are some serious elements to this story, but I can't help laughing every time I hear about it. This is definiitely my favorite news story of the last week.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast