vCash

Baby formula in China causing babies to grow breasts

This is very frightening. Apparently the formula is causing greater hormone levels in babies than what a woman normally has.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...nrkcNZDiglt2rg
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Horrific. I never buy anything from China ever since they poisoned the gluten that killed thousands of cats and dogs. It's horrific how they use their people as guinea pigs. Inhuman.

-Bridget

vCash
    Ugh, that's horrible. And I've heard that hormones in milk over here may have something to do with girls having early puberty.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Ugh, that's horrible. And I've heard that hormones in milk over here may have something to do with girls having early puberty.
    That's a lie, unless I've got some super-estrogen-resisting genes. As a kid I drank 10x more milk (and it was the stuff with hormones too) than any other girl I know and I had my period late and you can still do laundry on my chest.

That's not good for babies, though! The melamine fiasco was such a facepalm situation. Like, poisoning pets is one thing, but putting in bad stuff that will feed your country's babies?!

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Same here Anita.. milk was the only thing I drank as a kid and I got nothing out of it lol.

Very strange that they would put that kind of crap in baby food.. good grief!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    That's a lie, unless I've got some super-estrogen-resisting genes. As a kid I drank 10x more milk (and it was the stuff with hormones too) than any other girl I know and I had my period late and you can still do laundry on my chest.
    I thought it was all the hormones in chicken that were supposed to give you early puberty and breasts Anyway, I don't drink milk, and I have a big chest, so there's that theory.

Anyway, this is an awful story.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I ate a lot of chicken as a kid too.. still do.. and still nothing lol!

vCash
    Here's the most balanced article I could find on the issue...

And Anita, aren't you a scientist? You should know better than to pooh-pooh an idea just because it didn't happen to you. (even if you are right this time. )

http://www.livescience.com/health/07...d_puberty.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I thought it was all the hormones in chicken that were supposed to give you early puberty and breasts Anyway, I don't drink milk, and I have a big chest, so there's that theory.

Anyway, this is an awful story.
    Nope. Was a certified meat eater and still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Here's the most balanced article I could find on the issue...

And Anita, aren't you a scientist? You should know better than to pooh-pooh an idea just because it didn't happen to you. (even if you are right this time. )

http://www.livescience.com/health/07...d_puberty.html
    If it was anything other than hormones, I would agree with you. Hormones are very potent even in very small amounts, and every body responds to it pretty much the same. So yeah, if there were hormones in milk or chicken that was supposed to make me a woman at age 12, it should have worked on me.

vCash
    Wasn't there something with poisoned milk a few years ago that broke out after the Olympics in Beijing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Wasn't there something with poisoned milk a few years ago that broke out after the Olympics in Beijing?
    Yes, that was the melamine fiasco Anita18 referred to. Could get milk based drinks at Starbucks for a bit, as it was all made by the same company (I think Starbucks ended up getting different milk for a month or so after the crisis was over, just because everyone was still really unsure about buying milk). I don't think it was just after the Olympics though...I thought it was before them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    One way to deal with the problem is to get rid of the soy additives in all foods. There shouldn't be any soy added to any food sold in this country. One of the side effects of soy consumption is early puberty:

Scientists have known for years that soy-based formula can cause thyroid problems in babies. But what are the effects of soy products on the hormonal development of the infant, both male and female?

Male infants undergo a "testosterone surge" during the first few months of life, when testosterone levels may be as high as those of an adult male. During this period, the infant is programmed to express male characteristics after puberty, not only in the development of his sexual organs and other masculine physical traits, but also in setting patterns in the brain characteristic of male behaviour. In monkeys, deficiency of male hormones impairs the development of spatial perception (which, in humans, is normally more acute in men than in women), of learning ability and of visual discrimination tasks (such as would be required for reading). It goes without saying that future patterns of sexual orientation may also be influenced by the early hormonal environment. Male children exposed during gestation to diethylstilbestrol (DES), a synthetic oestrogen that has effects on animals similar to those of phytoestrogens from soy, had testes smaller than normal on manturation.

Learning disabilities, especially in male children, have reached epidemic proportions. Soy infant feeding - which began in earnest in the early 1970s - cannot be ignored as a probable cause for these tragic developments.

As for girls, an alarming number are entering puberty much earlier than normal, according to a recent study reported in the journal Pediatrics. Investigators found that one per cent of all girls now show signs of puberty, such as breast development or pubic hair, before the age of three; by age eight, 14.7 per cent of white girls and almost 50 per cent of African-American girls have one or both of these characteristics.

New data indicate that environmental oestrogens such as PCBs and DDE (a breakdown product of DDT) may cause early sexual development in girls. In the 1986 Puerto Rico Premature Thelarche study, the most significant dietary association with premature sexual development was not chicken - as reported in the press - but soy infant formula.

The consequences of this truncated childhood are tragic. Young girls with mature bodies must cope with feelings and urges that most children are not well-equipped to handle. And early maturation in girls is frequently a harbinger for problems with the reproductive system later in life, including failure to menstruate, infertility and breast cancer.

Parents who have contacted the Jameses recount other problems associated with children of both sexes who were fed soy-based formula, including extreme emotional behaviour, asthma, immune system problems, pituitary insufficiency, thyroid disorders and irritable bowel syndrome

http://www.karinya.com/soydangers.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    One way to deal with the problem is to get rid of the soy additives in all foods. There shouldn't be any soy added to any food sold in this country. One of the side effects of soy consumption is early puberty:
    I'm Chinese and as stated above, I experienced late-normal puberty. By now everyone knows that Chinese dishes often utilize tofu, which is made of soy. There's also soy milk which many Asians regularly drink (I personally never got into it) and soybeans etc etc.

AFAIK, Asians have not experienced unusually early puberty compared with other populations...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    I ate a lot of chicken as a kid too.. still do.. and still nothing lol!

Me too. And still nothing doing.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Not the same circumstance, but with some connection, another article about girls in the US developing breasts as young as 7. Basically saying that the age that girls reach puberty is getting younger.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/w...810-11y7r.html
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I'm Chinese and as stated above, I experienced late-normal puberty. By now everyone knows that Chinese dishes often utilize tofu, which is made of soy. There's also soy milk which many Asians regularly drink (I personally never got into it) and soybeans etc etc.

AFAIK, Asians have not experienced unusually early puberty compared with other populations...
    Asians also don't utilize soy as a substitute for meat dishes the way plenty of non-Asians do - tofurkey, meatless chicken/beef patties. It's a lot healthier to eat free range poultry and grass-fed beef than to eat the stuff sold in the "health food" section of the grocery store.

And everything I've ever read about soy states that Asia didn't not even eat soy until the fermentation process was developed. Also that it is used as a condiment only, not as the center focus of a meal like the above-mentioned examples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Asians also don't utilize soy as a substitute for meat dishes the way plenty of non-Asians do - tofurkey, meatless chicken/beef patties. It's a lot healthier to eat free range poultry and grass-fed beef than to eat the stuff sold in the "health food" section of the grocery store.

And everything I've ever read about soy states that Asia didn't not even eat soy until the fermentation process was developed. Also that it is used as a condiment only, not as the center focus of a meal like the above-mentioned examples.
    We certainly don't eat a TON of it everyday (it's silly to have a meat-centered diet, and it's also silly to simply substitute the meat with tofu), but it's certainly in a lot of things. My mom used to try and sneak it into dinners because I didn't really care for tofu by itself.

Also not sure if our family is representative of all Asian families, but we never had a "center focus" of any meal. Every dish was communal, so we ate what we chose to put on our plate. If my sister wanted a ton of tofu and no seafood, she could do that.

You have to ferment soy milk to get tofu, but you can also just drink the soy milk by itself. I'm not sure if drinking soy milk became popular after the invention of tofu but...anyway. Many people drink soy milk just as Americans would regular milk.

Soy lecithin is in EVERYTHING, though, as it's used as a filler. That's the kind of stuff I would try to avoid, not tofu. At least you can see how much tofu you've eaten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Not the same circumstance, but with some connection, another article about girls in the US developing breasts as young as 7. Basically saying that the age that girls reach puberty is getting younger.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/w...810-11y7r.html
    The number amongst black girls are so much higher, no one can't tell its not the food and the diet.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner