Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    An illegal element is an element, so unless it is performed after the maximum number of legal elements, doing a backflip means sacrificing the points for the last element in the program. Assuming that the last element is a spin, thapt could be three or four points in addition to the mandatory deduction and (as hanca suggested upthread) lower PCS. (And it's difficult to add in an extra, illegal element given all the technical demands these days). So it's really more like sacrificing five or six points instead of just one. It's not worth the risk unless, like Surya Bonaly at Nagano, you're planning to retire with a bang.

vCash
    Well, a backflip is not a listed jump, nor is it a spin or a step sequence or a choreo spiral sequence .

It wouldn't get a base mark and it wouldn't fill an element slot.

Now that there's risk of backflips getting credit for difficulty in the technical mark (although some judges might still reward the difficulty in the transitions mark), does that take away the incentive for skaters to try it in competition if they're not sure of executing it safely? Enough that there would no reason to worry about skaters who can't do the element consistently enough to be safe, same way skaters often attempt legitimate elements they're likely to fall on such as difficult jumps or even some flying spins or tricky steps?

Or would allowing skaters who can do it reliably to include it in their programs as a cool transition only encourage other skaters to take the risk before they've mastered it consistently?

What about other illegal or discouraged non-skating moves that can be performed on ice, such as cartwheels or splits or sliding/spinning on both knees or on one's back, etc. Or excessive posing in place. The danger factor is lower or nonexistent for those moves than for backflips.

Can the scoring system now adequately allow judges to ignore or penalize non-skating moves taking up space in the program while allowing audiences to enjoy watching them?

Or would the expectation of skaters and audiences be that those moves should be rewarded in relation to their difficulty and/or contribution to the choreography, not penalized, because they're fun to watch?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Every time I hear the argument that singles skaters should be allowed to use vocal music, all I see is a bad montage of horrific exhibition routines and hear Celine Dion, Andrea Boccelli, Il Divo, Top 40 crap, Easy Listening, and Adult Contemporary.

I just go cold thinking about it.
    On the other hand, someone at dance forums just asked the ballroom forum about music (unless we're doing a showcase category we have no choice-we dance to whatever plays which is up to whoever's DJing a comp) and whether we thought we danced/interpreted better to music we LIKED that might not be 'culturally' (ie Latin, Strauss Vienneses, etc) or originally tempo-appropriate (auto-adjust software does wonders) or strict-tradition, and almost everyone has said "I dance better to music that moves me." (Which is a nicer way of saying "If I hear that 'traditional' cheezy Blackpool orchestra stuff ONE MORE TIME I'm going to stab out my own eardrums with an awl.") I hate watching little girls saddled with trite tinkly pretty piano pieces or drowning in heavy classical. Like Mao last season getting browbeaten by "Bells of Moscow." More options is a good thing.

The bigger problem I could see is the same reason that DWTS in particular avoids/rejects some song requests, and uses the orchestra of doom instead of recordings--broadcast rights. For televised compeitions that could get expensive.

vCash
    As gkelly said illegal elements are not in the computer system so they wouldn't even be recognised and wouldn't take up element spots in a protocol.

I daresay that judges would be advised by the referee to ignore them when it comes to the PCS.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    An illegal element is an element, so unless it is performed after the maximum number of legal elements, doing a backflip means sacrificing the points for the last element in the program. Assuming that the last element is a spin, thapt could be three or four points in addition to the mandatory deduction and (as hanca suggested upthread) lower PCS. (And it's difficult to add in an extra, illegal element given all the technical demands these days). So it's really more like sacrificing five or six points instead of just one. It's not worth the risk unless, like Surya Bonaly at Nagano, you're planning to retire with a bang.
    I think they may deduct a bit more than five or six points. Judges are only humans after all and if they feel that a skater sticks his/her middle finger at them, they will 'reward' it in markings. If each judge takes 'only' half point on PCS (and they can do that easy), that's already several points down. If they also employ more strict look at all elements GOEs of that skater, that's very easily another 5-10 points difference. And the changes of GOE could be very subtle- let's say, instead of plus one give 0 or instead of 0 give minus one. But several judges, some 7 or 10 elements or how many and suddenly you have a ten point difference. Plus the compulsory deduction of one point...

It could get seriously 'expensive' to try to ignore the rules.

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    okay, I give in - it was not that much of a good idea to begin with but I still believe sbs back flips would be awesome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Isn't acting out dying on the ice banned? Something to the effect of throwing oneself on the ice dramatically does not demonstrated greater skating or artistic skills?
    Katarina Witt did that at the 1988 Olympic freeskate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRpFJNcxnE0

As for vocals, when Caroline Zhang did her Ave Maria program, there is a part in there that sounds like vocalization.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    On the other hand, someone at dance forums just asked the ballroom forum about music (unless we're doing a showcase category we have no choice-we dance to whatever plays which is up to whoever's DJing a comp) and whether we thought we danced/interpreted better to music we LIKED that might not be 'culturally' (ie Latin, Strauss Vienneses, etc) or originally tempo-appropriate (auto-adjust software does wonders) or strict-tradition, and almost everyone has said "I dance better to music that moves me." (Which is a nicer way of saying "If I hear that 'traditional' cheezy Blackpool orchestra stuff ONE MORE TIME I'm going to stab out my own eardrums with an awl.") I hate watching little girls saddled with trite tinkly pretty piano pieces or drowning in heavy classical. Like Mao last season getting browbeaten by "Bells of Moscow." More options is a good thing.

The bigger problem I could see is the same reason that DWTS in particular avoids/rejects some song requests, and uses the orchestra of doom instead of recordings--broadcast rights. For televised compeitions that could get expensive.
    I personally think DWTS's bad safe versions of pop songs to dances like the Paso Doble and Tango or Waltz or Fox Trot look absolutely ridiculous, but then I'm not DWTS's target audience am I?

I think having more options sound good in theory, but I rather have people out out of their comfort zone to do the dance the way they're supposed to. That's why there's a Free Dance in Ice Dance...to allow the dancers the freedom to...say...having a brother and sister team bump and grind to Justin Timberlake.

I think if little girls are being saddled with tinkly piano music or if you thought Mao was brow-beated by that heavy Bells of Moscow, then it's the fault of the choreographer and even skater for bad packaging. There in an incredible amount of music choices to be had and one doesn't have to dip into music with lyrics to find it.

Like others have said, the reason why I don't like the idea of skaters being allowed to use music with lyrics is that the music is supposed to set the mood and play a major part of the program, but if you invite lyrics in, I feel that lyrics would they detract from the actual choreography or even skater.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    As for vocals, when Caroline Zhang did her Ave Maria program, there is a part in there that sounds like vocalization.
    Vocalization is explicitly allowed -- the human voice used as a musical instrument. What's forbidden (except in ice dance) is vocal music with lyrics.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I personally think DWTS's bad safe versions of pop songs to dances like the Paso Doble and Tango or Waltz or Fox Trot look absolutely ridiculous, but then I'm not DWTS's target audience am I?
    Oh, at real competitions, they mostly use the real songs, sometimes with the computer adjusting the tempo. The point re DWTS is they use the orchestra because, as they're broadcast television, they would have to pay beaucoup bucks to use the original music (so they end up with wacky orchestrations and singers who can't sing.) Which might be the problem with allowing popular music with vocals as a skating option--the ISU or the networks would now run into the licensing fees for the music. Whereas with most classical, everyone with rights to it's been dead long enough it's not an issue. And soundtracks seem to have different rules, for some odd reason.

Not saying every pop song is a good idea (ESPECIALLY when adapted for instrumental only--I could play you a very misbegotten rendition of "My Heart Will Go On" as a Paso Doble, or there's the video my one pro wishes would vanish of him on Come Dancing where they used "Always Something There To Remind Me" as a samba and yes, it was as bad as it sounds), but more variety and letting skaters use music they LIKE, as opposed to music they may not like, understand, or relate to, is not necessarily a bad thing.

(And forcing someone to listen to music to "broaden their horizons" will not necessarily make them like it. I don't like opera and have no patience for symphonies. I understand they're hard to write and know from experience they're hard to perform, but that doesn't make me enjoy them. Likewise, if I got to Blackpool for the UK open, i'd be thrilled to be there, but I would STILL hate the music. Almost everyone does, except those who need "Tempo For Dummies" type songs with things like the woodblock of blindingly obvious beats to follow.)

vCash
    Every time I hear the argument that singles skaters should be allowed to use vocal music, all I see is a bad montage of horrific exhibition routines and hear Celine Dion, Andrea Boccelli, Il Divo, Top 40 crap, Easy Listening, and Adult Contemporary.

I just go cold thinking about it.
    I couldn't disagree more. Just because some skaters make bad music choices doesn't mean that vocals should be banned. There are pieces of music that are MUCH better with the words. For example, the performance of Singing in the Rain by ice dancers Dubreuil and Lauzon at 2004 Skate Canada was fabulous. They used the Gene Kelly song from the movie, complete with thunderclaps and falling rain. My daughter is skating this year to an instrumental version of Singing in the Rain by the Boston Pops, and it just doesn't pack the same punch as the vocal version. The routine has to rely on people to remember the words in their heads in order to get the connection with the acting that's going on (e.g. opening umbrellas, kicking puddles of water, feeling the first raindrops, etc.). The best routine ever to this number was done by Kurt Browning. Another good one was by Braden Overett. You can argue that those numbers were exhibition pieces, but Dubreuil and Lauzon did it in competition.

Another piece of music many skaters have used is Carmina Burana, and that definitely has words in it in Latin. No one seems to get deductions for using that music. It is very powerful, and there is no all-instrumental version of it available. I would hate to see this music disqualified in a competition.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Crap music is crap, lyrics or no. As a casual viewer (as much casual as you can get when you're actually paying for events and using FSU ), I would *much* prefer lyrics for a lot music, I think it is much, much more engaging.

Allowing lyrics would hopefully eliminate terrible muzak versions of pop songs too. I still shudder thinking about that instrumental Hotel California a Chinese man used some seasons ago.

I also think that it would encourage using non-classical music a lot more, which I think would help pull in viewers.

My husband, who is no fan of classical music, usually enjoys modern pieces a lot more when he casually views, simply because he can relate to it. Interesting though, if the skating is good enough, he stays watching, regardless of music .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    Crap music is crap, lyrics or no. As a casual viewer (as much casual as you can get when you're actually paying for events and using FSU ), I would *much* prefer lyrics for a lot music, I think it is much, much more engaging.

Allowing lyrics would hopefully eliminate terrible muzak versions of pop songs too. I still shudder thinking about that instrumental Hotel California a Chinese man used some seasons ago.

I also think that it would encourage using non-classical music a lot more, which I think would help pull in viewers.

My husband, who is no fan of classical music, usually enjoys modern pieces a lot more when he casually views, simply because he can relate to it. Interesting though, if the skating is good enough, he stays watching, regardless of music .
    This.

vCash
    What about interpretation mark? Like if you are intepretating words it may become less interpretation because you could be following lyrics rather than trying to interpret music. If you used lyrics judges could be like "well they are bing told by the lyrics how to act on the ice so I will like give them a 3 in interpration!" So not only would you get a minus one deduction on the music but totally hammered in the intepretation mark.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 08-13-2010 at 03:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    My concern is that the lyrics can be distracting.

A fan might be engaged with the lyrics and enjoy the program on that level completely apart from the quality of the skating including the skater's interpretation of the music and lyrics. That's great from an entertainment point of view, irrelevant to the sport as sport.

But it could be a problem if judges are devoting too much of their brain power to following the lyrics, even without trying to, and missing details of the technical performance or of the skater's interpretation of the melody and rhythm as a result.

With songs you already know, you can follow the lyrics in your head without expending much brain power on the process. And for songs with lyrics in languages you're completely unfamiliar with, it might as well be nonsense syllables. But for a song you've never heard before in a language you're fluent in, there will be a temptation to listen to what the singer is saying. And for a song in a language you sort-of know, there's a tendency to try to pick out recognizable words.

Skating is an international sport. Not all judges are fluent in the same languages (yes, they have to have a working knowledge of English, but that doesn't necessarily mean easy fluency even in listening). Differences in cultural experience can also mean that songs that are very familiar to one person will be brand new to another and therefore claim more listening attention.

The same is true of audiences and of skaters themselves. If a skater chooses a popular song in his/her own country and gets extra enthusiasm from home audiences that are familiar with the song, they may find the same program falling flat in front of audiences who never heard it before and don't know its cultural context.

I don't like terrible muzak versions either. I do like it when skaters choose instrumental rock pieces, or jazz that's more challenging than big band swing.

When using instrumental versions of music that was originally written with lyrics, the trick is to choose versions that retain the musical flavor of the original or add new colorings that add interest, not flatten them out into muzak.

Take the Jeff Beck version of A Day in the Life (personally I prefer Jeremy Abbott's interpretation to Michelle Kwan's). I think that makes a good translation of a song with lyrics into a musical piece suitable for skating.

I'd actually love to see an exhibition program to the Beatles song with the lyrics. But I would not like to be listening to the lyrics and scrutinizing lutz edges or counting spin revolutions at the same time.

And then there's pop music. Most pop songs are just not very interesting musically. They may be fun and catchy and make for good exhibitions, but they don't give much more room for the skaters to show much nuance or finesse in their interpretation than muzaked songs.

However, I fear that that's the kind of music most skaters would choose if allowed to skate to music with lyrics.
    Last edited by gkelly; 08-13-2010 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    However, I fear that that's the kind of music most skaters would choose if allowed to skate to music with lyrics.
    Setting a boundary of "voice(s), OK....lyrics Not OK" finally makes some sense to me from your rationale. Thank you, gkelly.

Also, given the taste (or lack of) that we see often in costumes, if the door were thrown open to allow music with lyrics.... I would be afraid.....very afraid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggi View Post
    okay, I give in - it was not that much of a good idea to begin with but I still believe sbs back flips would be awesome
    Me too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12