Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Tanith and Ben have "All That Skate L.A." listed on their schedule Oct. 2-3.
    Wow!!! I loved them. I loved both "If it kills me" and "Bleeding love".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    And why are you assuming that Query5/Fairly5 is Japanese American?
    And why you assume he/she is not? Reason? Read my post + similar typing habits and grammar patterns.

In any case, if I am wrong, I am wrong, no biggie!

I just hope the show goes well and we can start to have more broadcasting shows again for the figure skating world.

More money is good for the industry, and may be skaters can get better pay packet that they truly deserve, given amount of discipline and hard work they all have to put up with comparing to other sports.

The prize money and rewards are absolutely peanuts compares to other performance sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    And why you assume he/she is not? Reason? Read my post + similar typing habits and grammar patterns.

In any case, if I am wrong, I am wrong, no biggie!

I just hope the show goes well and we can start to have more broadcasting shows again for the figure skating world.

More money is good for the industry, and may be skaters can get better pay packet that they truly deserve, given amount of discipline and hard work they all have to put up with comparing to other sports.

The prize money and rewards are absolutely peanuts compares to other performance sports.
    I'm not assuming anything. I'm just replying to your assumption.

And you seem to think I'm asking why you think Query5/Fairly5 are the same as you're talking about similar typing habits and grammar patterns. I asked why you assume they are Japanese American.

vCash
    I'm not assuming anything. I'm just replying to your assumption.

And you seem to think I'm asking why you think Query5/Fairly5 are the same as you're talking about similar typing habits and grammar patterns. I asked why you assume they are Japanese American.
    I guess you didn't get the joke about the different nationality traits.

In any case Query/Fairly4 could be aliens and what I say doesn't change a thing or should matter all that much, when the view is clearly close minded and a bit incomprehensible despite a clear agenda to put down the show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Wow!!! I loved them. I loved both "If it kills me" and "Bleeding love".
    While I enjoyed the Bleeding Love number, it's about time for them to move on.

vCash
    I guess you didn't get the joke about the different nationality traits.

In any case Query/Fairly4 could be aliens and what I say doesn't change a thing or should matter all that much, when the view is clearly close minded and a bit incomprehensible despite a clear agenda to put down the show.
    Whether I got your joke is irrelevant. You seem to be purposely avoiding answering my question.

vCash
    It is answered, whether you understood is another matter. In any case this is my last post on the matter, thanks for your replies.

vCash
    It is answered, whether you understood is another matter. In any case this is my last post on the matter, thanks for your replies.
    Oh no, I understood. What you're doing is stereo-typing; assuming this person is Japanese American because, according to your joke, all Japanese are close-minded.

And this is my last post on the matter as well.

vCash
    Oh no, I understood. What you're doing is stereo-typing; assuming this person is Japanese American because, according to your joke, all Japanese are close-minded.

And this is my last post on the matter as well.
    Well it is a bad joke that is clearly untrue - given US and Europe are amongst worlds most generous donors internationally; Yuna is an innovator that came from Korea, and Japan who brought us Nintendo and Final Fantasy series my fav toy during childhood that was a imagination mindbomb (I love it so much i got the director and producer to autograph the game).

Anyways, sorry if i cause any offense, it was to illustrate a point. I realised I am probably far too smarmy for my own good, and fyi I came from an International school myself, so am familiar with the stereotypes, we usually laugh about it. Sorry to hijack the thread with my lame pseudo comments, please continue to discuss this amazing show soon to take place in LA all thanks to Yuna and the power of Global citizenship !!!
    Last edited by os168; 08-11-2010 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    Oh please…… . This is an old “Soviet Times” joke from the times of “Glasnost” in the late 80’s. It was published in a Humor Magazine “Krokodil”.

The original version goes like this:

UN Conference. The House Speaker poses a question to the auditorium.

Dear Members of the UN Counsel:
    Please! We would like to hear your most honest opinion on how to solve food shortage problems in the rest of the world.

West Europeans: what’s “shortage”?
    Africans: what’s “food”?
    Americans: what’s “the rest of the world”?
    Arabs: what’s “honest”?
    Soviets: what’s “opinion”?
    Asians: what’s “how to solve”?
    Israelis: what’s “please”?

I don’t know exactly how it relates to Yu-na’s show…… but it is a very funny joke….. has been for 20 years…… we still love it in our Russian community……

vCash
    Okay, lets try this all over again....

Yuna Kim and 'All That Sport' is hosting a skating show 'All That Skate LA' at the Staple Center on Oct. 2 - 3. Regardless of who skates with her it will be one more skating event than would otherwise be held in the USA. Thanks, Yuna!
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Thanks for getting the thread back on track Visaliakid!

Can't wait for someone to post the ticket info soon. Ice shows never come to LA anymore so I'll definitely be going. Yes, a lot of my favorite skaters are scheduled to do the other events but getting to see Yu-Na again will be amazing!

vCash
    assuming this person is Japanese American because, according to your joke, all Japanese are close-minded.
    If you are asking about Query5, he or she has certainly shown closed-mindedness, wherever he or she is from.

I think the assumption is because (1) the poster claims to be an American, (2) the word order and usage clearly identifies the poster as someone whose first language is not English, meaning he or she is (Something)-American, and (3) the poster has exhibited an irrational antagonism toward Yu-Na's LA ice show in a way that only an obsessed fan on the opposing side in the Kim-Asada wars can do. IMO, that makes Japanese-American a pretty fair guess, anyway.

Personally, I like both these skaters but don't love either of them. I find the constant need for the fans of one to attack the other to be infantile at best and unhealthily obsessive at worst.

A number of the assertions made in this thread are simply untrue. While Americans don't usually care about anyone else's ice princesses, historically we have embraced Olympic ladies champions from elsewhere when they are compelling enough skaters and personalities. Witt was hugely popular here. (No, American audiences were not slow to embrace her after Calgary.) After Lillehammer, Baiul was a big draw here until she got herself into trouble.

I don't know if American audiences are that enamored of Kim, so I will be interested to see how well this show does. Because skating in general is so much less popular and visible in the US now than in 1988 or 1994, I don't know that anybody's Olympic win from Calgary garnered them as much popularity as earlier Olympics. This is why it was really smart and important for Lysacek to go directly into Dancing with the Stars to cement his celebrity.

While I agree that the Yu-Na Kim Day was really dumb, I don't think it will have any effect, one way or the other, on ticket sales. People will buy tickets if they want to see the skaters in this show enough to spend the time and money. In the end, it always comes down to that.

I do wonder what they were thinking, though, when they picked the dates, with so many skaters already committed to other shows on/around those dates. I think it would really help sales if she can get Kwan to skate in this show (not to mention being a treat for her US fans). It has been years since Kwan has performed live in the US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    ...the constant need for the fans of one to attack the other to be infantile at best and unhealthily obsessive at worst..
    You're being too kind....

While I agree that the Yu-Na Kim Day was really dumb.
    Who cares what somebody celebrates?
    Very close to appearing to participate in the "unhealthy" activities you've listed above?
    I don't think it was your intention to, though.
    This horse has been beaten very very dead on this thread and elsewhere....somebody call a veterinary (or the Admins) to make it official, please!

While Americans don't usually care about anyone else's ice princesses. ......I don't know if American audiences are that enamored of Kim, so I will be interested to see how well this show does..
    Generallly true, but L.A. could be the exception to this due to 2009 Worlds and this:

"Los Angeles, with its Koreatown district, is home to the largest population of ethnic Koreans outside of Asia."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_American

People will buy tickets if they want to see the skaters in this show enough to spend the time and money. In the end, it always comes down to that. .
    Yep!

I do wonder what they were thinking, though, when they picked the dates, with so many skaters already committed to other shows on/around those dates.
    I think it would really help sales if she can get Kwan to skate in this show (not to mention being a treat for her US fans).
    It has been years since Kwan has performed live in the US.
    With 7 weeks to go and no ticket sales announcement, it is concerning. Staples website makes no mention of it.
    Let's hope that Yu-na's handlers know what they're doing.
    ITA about MK.
    In an earlier post Bek gave some very good rationale for others skaters to jump onboard this show if invited to do so, but travel and scheduling conflicts has its limits....
    I would think that if we don't see ticket sales announcement in the next week, a postponement may be next....just an educated guess.
    Or maybe just a "one night only" performance...
    We're all keeping our fingers crossed....
    Last edited by geod2; 08-12-2010 at 02:03 AM.

vCash
    I was thinking about the timeline too.

Perhaps they expect the same reaction here that they have experienced in Korea - instant sell out. It could happen but it is certainly not the given it is in Seoul.

While Yu-na is a very experienced, champion skater, her mom and their company are not experienced producers and may not have as realistic a view of the U.S. market as they might. There is a VP that came over from IB Productions but even he probably has no producing experience outside of Korea.

All That Sports was not intending to announce the cast until mid-Sept for a date less than three weeks later. In the U.S. that's not the usual but they may feel that a combination of the skating market for Yu-na and the Korean market in LA will fill up the Staples Center in a wink for the two performances (Oct. 2 and 3) they have mentioned. A two performance complete sell-out at the Staples Center with a hockey seating layout is 36,000 people; 14,000-15,000 sold per show would be a great crowd and probably closer to the right number with a tunnel or stage area taking some of the seating. They are also used to a larger seating capacity in Seoul so it might not seem like a great challenge to the producers.

As far as skaters in other shows that weekend - if it's Yu-na and MK (and we don't know that), there may not be any contest. I of course would love to see Ilia as part of the group and if so, I'd be there in a flash, even though it means flying from the East Coast.

Overall though, the timing is sure a calculated risk but they may not see it that way.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-12-2010 at 02:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I was thinking about the timeline too.

Perhaps they expect the same reaction here that they have experienced in Korea - instant sell out. It could happen but it is certainly not the given it is in Seoul.

While Yu-na is a very experienced, champion skater, her mom and their company are not experienced producers and may not have as realistic a view of the U.S. market as they might. There is a VP that came over from IB Productions but even he probably has no producing experience outside of Korea.

All That Sports was not intending to announce the cast until mid-Sept for a date less than three weeks later. In the U.S. that's not the usual but they may feel that a combination of the skating market for Yu-na and the Korean market in LA will fill up the Staples Center in wink for the two performances (Oct. 2 and 3) they have mentioned. A two performance complete sell-out at the Staples Center with a hockey seating layout is 36,000 people; 14,000-15,000 sold per show would be a great crowd and probably closer to the right number with a tunnel or stage area taking some of the seating. They are also used to a larger seating capacity in Seoul so it might not seem like a great challenge to the producers.

It's sure a calculated risk but they may not see it that way.
    I agree. The Staples Center is a big venue. I was there for the SOI show couple times, and it was pretty empty.

They may sell the tickets, but that doesn't mean that the seats will be filled. Local Korean businesses (and Chinese if Kwan skates in this show) will probably buy bunch of tickets to give out to their customers. Also Yuna's fans may fly from Korea to attend this show.

vCash
    Yuna's fans may fly from Korea to attend this show.
    I agree that a lot of her fans would love to come. But 1) do thousands of fans have that kind of money? It's an expensive trip 2) do those fans also have visas to enter the U.S. because coming from Korea to the U.S. you need one and it takes a little time to get one through the U.S. Embassy in Korea so one can't make a last-minute decision to go.

She does have thousands of fans here and in Canada and those, most likely, are the people who will fill a lot of seats. But I agree that huge blocks of seats sold to Korean businesses will undoubtedly be a major part of the audience.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-12-2010 at 03:07 AM.

vCash
    I assume that most of the people posting did not attend Worlds in LA. The ladies events were packed, with very large contingents of Koreans and Korean-Americans. One of the local banks was passing out Korean flags to attendees. Koreatown is 2 miles from Staples Center.

I don't think there is any question that the show will be successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I assume that most of the people posting did not attend Worlds in LA. The ladies events were packed, with very large contingents of Koreans and Korean-Americans.
    I went to Worlds last year and it was fun to see and be a part of such great attendance for a FS event in the city where I was born and grew up.

Being realistic, some potential challenges have been mentioned on this thread for Yu-Na's show to be successful. If I remember correctly she is fulfilling a pledge she made to return to L.A. for a show...
    ....I don't recall that she made it contingent on the show being successful from any particular point of view. Good for her!!!
    I'm very sure that, even if it has to be postponed, this show will happen.

I wonder if Yu-Na's commitment to an L.A. show is why Disson skipped the West Coast this year....

vCash
    If you are asking about Query5, he or she has certainly shown closed-mindedness, wherever he or she is from.

I think the assumption is because (1) the poster claims to be an American, (2) the word order and usage clearly identifies the poster as someone whose first language is not English, meaning he or she is (Something)-American, and (3) the poster has exhibited an irrational antagonism toward Yu-Na's LA ice show in a way that only an obsessed fan on the opposing side in the Kim-Asada wars can do. IMO, that makes Japanese-American a pretty fair guess, anyway.
    See the thing is though based on previous posts I always thought query was way more of a Zhang uber than she was either an Asada uber or a Yu-na uber.

I don't think its really fair to automatically assume that any irrational criticism of Yu-na is automatically because of Japanese/Asada ubers or any irrational criticism of Asada is automatically due to Korean/Yu-na ubers. There are people perfectly capable of not liking both Mao and Yu-na or not being on either team. I mean I could understand wondering that, but I suspect if you remember/read more than just one of query's posts, that people's first guess wouldn't be that query is Japanese. Not that it matters what she/he is.
    Last edited by bek; 08-12-2010 at 06:23 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast