Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Just because a skater doesn't make it to nationals doesn't define their entire career.
    How many skaters who don't make it to senior nationals will have an "entire career" that includes any senior international events?
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    The point of this thread is to discuss skaters who do not attend international events. At the local rink there are PLENTY of young skaters who put in 20+ hours of training per week, compete locally at least one a month, but miss nationals by just a few placements. Most people skate because they love it. USFSA just announced they had over 170,000 members. How many of those have ever attended nationals? A handful. But most of the rest are out there and are dedicated to the sport. Many peoples' careers are rooted in local club competitions and Regionals for 10+ years without ever qualifying for Sectionals or Nationals -- that is it. It still doesn't erase any of time and effort they've put in over those 10 years. Many of the young women at Collegiate Nationals had never even made it to Sectionals. Most scores were in the 20s, and many could only do double jumps. Still, they skate because they have a love and passion for the sport.

To sum it up, there are many great skaters who have never made US Nationals. It is just my opinion, and of course, you are free to respectfully disagree with it.

vCash
    The point of this thread is to discuss skaters who do not attend international events. At the local rink there are PLENTY of young skaters who put in 20+ hours of training per week, compete locally at least one a month, but miss nationals by just a few placements. Most people skate because they love it. USFSA just announced they had over 170,000 members. How many of those have ever attended nationals? A handful. But most of the rest are out there and are dedicated to the sport. Many peoples' careers are rooted in local club competitions and Regionals for 10+ years without ever qualifying for Sectionals or Nationals -- that is it. It still doesn't erase any of time and effort they've put in over those 10 years. Many of the young women at Collegiate Nationals had never even made it to Sectionals. Most scores were in the 20s, and many could only do double jumps. Still, they skate because they have a love and passion for the sport.

To sum it up, there are many great skaters who have never made US Nationals. It is just my opinion, and of course, you are free to respectfully disagree with it.

Love the post. That is exactly what I was going to say!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    The point of this thread is to discuss skaters who do not attend international events.
    I thought the point was to discuss skaters that did not qualify for [US] Nationals.

We are discussing US Nationals . . . "a great skater that never qualified for [US] Nationals." Perhaps the thread title could be ammended to reflect that.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 08-18-2010 at 11:08 PM.

vCash
    The poster suggested that in order to have a fulflilling career you have to skate in international events.

The point of this thread is to discuss skaters who never went to US Nationals. Obviously, if they never made it to Nationals, how would they ever get an international assignment?

Shows how much some of us know.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234