Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Having seen utube performances of Dianne's 75 LP and at the World Pros, I definitely would not qualify her as a "great" skater.
    World Champion is pretty much the pinnacle of the sport. If that isn't "great," then I don't know what is.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    How about v(sp)- 1975 world champion who never made it out of southwest pacifics . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Having seen utube performances of Dianne's 75 LP and at the World Pros, I definitely would not qualify her as a "great" skater.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    If an Olympic silver medalist and World Champion (regardless how she got those awards) is not a "great" skater then nobody who never qualified to even skate at Senior Nationals is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    World Champion is pretty much the pinnacle of the sport. If that isn't "great," then I don't know what is.
    Why is Dianne de Leeuw even being discussed? She was 6 TIME DUTCH NATIONAL CHAMPION, 1 TIME EUROPEAN CHAMPION, 1 TIME WORLD CHAMPION, AND AN OLYMPIC SILVER MEDALIST.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Why is Dianne de Leeuw even being discussed? She was 6 TIME DUTCH NATIONAL CHAMPION.
    Because she competed in the U.S. originally (ETA: I'm assuming she never made it to U.S. Nationals, based on Emmett's post): http://figureskating.about.com/od/pr.../p/deleeuw.htm

Trivia: de Leuuw (with Doug Chapman) currently coaches and up-and-coming U.S. Senior lady Vanessa Lam.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-11-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Errr . . . she still made it to multiple Nationals, and, yeah, she was the original country jumper and it used to drive USFSA nuts.

vCash
    Errr . . . she still made it to multiple Nationals, and, yeah, she was the original country jumper and it used to drive USFSA nuts.
    Multiple Dutch nationals...

vCash
    What's wrong with just saying that DeLeeuw was a very good skater, which all World Champions were/are? If you want to apply the "great" label to her then what made her great?

vCash
    For the purposes of this thread, I consider Diane to be "great." Afterall, the thread title is "Great Skaters that Never Qualified for Nationals." Diane never qualified for nationals in the US, but she switched to the Netherlands and became world champion. In my opinion, every skater that has won worlds is "great;" de Leeuw, Ando, Asada, Kim, Meissner, etc.

vCash
    Sophia Adams (SWP) definitely comes to mind. She is a fantastic skater. Gorgeous body line and posture. Great spinner and she is a good jumper when she's on too. Unfortunately, consistency has cost her a chance to compete at Nationals. Who are some others?
    Oh I agree about Sophia. Every year I hope this is the year she gets it together in competition and makes nationals! She is lovely to watch and really can jump. Just never when it counts I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    There's a big difference between "beautiful" and "great." At least in my book.
    She was both though! She was landing 3-3s before she got injured! And a friend of mine took ballet with her and said she was a very gifted dancer as well.

vCash
    post deleted
    Last edited by pinky166; 08-11-2010 at 11:59 PM.

vCash
    Multiple Dutch nationals...
    AND?

vCash
    AND?
    Well if we are going at this from that angle, Ksenia Makarova and Kate Charbonneau both used to skate for the US and AFAIK neither qualified for US nationals (Kate never made it out of sectionals and Ksenia went to junior nationals but not actual nationals i don't think).

vCash
    AND?
    We are discussing US Nationals. De Leeuw was the 6 time Dutch champion and world champion but as the thread title states she can be considered "a great skater that never qualified for [US] Nationals." Perhaps the thread title could be ammended to reflect that.

vCash
    Charbonneau did win a pewter medal at the Intermediate level (at 2006 U.S. "Junior" Nationals in December 2005) but her last U.S. qualifying competition was 2008 Midwestern Sectionals in November 2007 (she finished 9th in Junior). Charbonneau definitely had the talent to qualify for U.S. Nationals and is a very good example of someone who faced deep and competitive fields at her regional (UGL) and sectional (Mids) at the novice and junior levels.

Makarova qualified for 2007 U.S. Nationals at the Novice level and placed 7th -- link to her bio at that Nationals: http://spokane2007.usfigureskating.o...1FBBCA31E.ashx
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-12-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: to add years & placements

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Charbonneau did win a pewter medal at the Intermediate level (at 2006 U.S. "Junior" Nationals in December 2005) but her last U.S. qualifying competition was, I believe, 2008 Midwestern Sectionals in November 2007 (she finished 9th in Junior).

Makarova qualified for 2007 U.S. Nationals at the Novice level and placed 7th -- link to her bio at that Nationals: http://spokane2007.usfigureskating.o...1FBBCA31E.ashx
    Yeah but Junior Nationals is a baby competition and has one less round of qualifying than (novice-senior) nationals because there are no sectionals at the intermediate levels and below.

vCash
    Qualifying for U.S. "Junior" Nationals at the Intermediate level from Regionals can be quite challenging for female singles skaters due to the sheer number of competitors, and the Upper Great Lakes region (Charbonneau's) is usually one of the deepest and most competitive regions year after year. The year Charbonneau qualified, there were 3 rounds to skate at UGL Regionals with 94 Intermediate ladies competing in 6 qualifying groups, with the top 4 in each group (24 total) advancing to one of the 2 SP qualifying groups and 18 advancing to the final FS. (ETA: Charbonneau actually finished 5th at UGL Regionals that year and was fortunate that the percentage system was in place so that she qualified for JN's.) Then there is the FS qualifying round at JN's that cuts the 42 Intermediate ladies to 18 for the SP and FS. Not easy!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-12-2010 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Qualifying for U.S. "Junior" Nationals at the Intermediate level from Regionals can be quite challenging for female singles skaters due to the sheer number of competitors, and the Upper Great Lakes region (Charbonneau's) is usually one of the deepest and most competitive regions year after year. The year Charbonneau qualified, there were 3 rounds to skate at UGL Regionals with 94 Intermediate ladies competing in 6 qualifying groups, with the top 4 in each group (24 total) advancing to one of the 2 SP qualifying groups and 18 advancing to the final FS. (ETA: Charbonneau actually finished 5th at UGL Regionals that year and was fortunate that the percentage system was in place so that she qualified for JN's.) Then there is the FS qualifying round at JN's that cuts the 42 Intermediate ladies to 18 for the SP and FS. Not easy!
    All valid points but qualifying for the US nationals is even more difficult, maybe not in terms of the numbers, but certainly in terms of the skills one must have mastered to get there....it's a lot harder to land triples than it is to land doubles.

vCash
    I have observed over the years that there often isn't much difference, jump content-wise, between the Novice and top Intermediate ladies that qualify for Nationals at these 2 levels. Novice ladies have qualified for Nationals with just 1 type of triple in their repertoire. Felicia Zhang, in fact, was good enough in overall skating skills to win the Novice national bronze medal in 2008 with no triple attempts! Sorry for going off-topic!

vCash
    We are discussing US Nationals. De Leeuw was the 6 time Dutch champion and world champion but as the thread title states she can be considered "a great skater that never qualified for [US] Nationals." Perhaps the thread title could be ammended to reflect that.
    Novice, Jr, Sr?

Furthermore, it still makes no sense to discuss a skater that intended to competed for another country in a thread that was intended to imply US Nationals. It's absurd.

. . . wait, wait . . . Fumie Suguri learned to skate and competed in Alaska but never qualified for Nationals.

. . . wait, wait . . . Patrick Chan trained in the US and competed at Liberty but never qualified for Nationals.

I understood full well that this thread implied Sr. US Nationals and had no problem with it until Emmett introduced "Diane Deleuw" as if it was a gaping hole in her resume that she never qualified for US Nationals when she was not even trying to qualify. I can't imagine that she ever cared since she beat the US National Champion at a more important competition. Furthermore, maybe her family though it would be less expensive and they did not think she would have had a shot in hell of being judged for the actual quality of her skating at US Nationals since she did not have the right coach. Maybe it was because her Grandfather wanted her to be the next Sjoukje Dijkstra.

She very likely would not have been able to compete in two Olympics if she did not compete for the Netherlands.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 08-12-2010 at 03:20 AM.

vCash
    You're right, Sylvia. Kiri Baga won 09 Nationals as a novice with 4 triples. Katarina Kulgeyko (Intermediate Champ. 09) did 2. Lauren Dinh (Intermediate Bronze 09) actually did 3. This year was a bit different though. Leah Keiser had 5 triples, including a lutz! She really could have been junior...she would have medalled.
    Last edited by Jenna; 08-12-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast