Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Angela Nikodinov won gold at Pacific Coast Sectionals and pewter at Nationals in 1997. Did she compete at Regionals that year?

Eldredge won both the Sectional and National titles in 1990, but I'm not sure if he was at Regionals either...

Trifun Zivanovic was 1st at Sectionals and 2nd at Nationals in 1999. Lydia Manon/Ryan O'Meara -- 1st at Sectionals and 3rd at Nationals in 2005.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Did Boitano have to compete at regionals and sectionals when he came back?
    He competed at Skate America, and I have to check when the Pro-Am event was (not the the Pro-Am would qualify for a bye). Does anyone remember when the Hershey's Pro-Am event was? I'm pretty sure it was at the end of the 1992-1993 season, but I'm also thinking was at the beginning of fall 1993.

vCash
    I believe the relevant question is whether a Nobody ever came from Nowhere to win senior Nationals? It probably has happened in the U.S., but it's extremely rare. You may have to back early in the 20th century. It is much more common with juniors.

Unlike baseball, basket, football, hockey and other popular sports, figure skating records seem not to be very complete before about 1980.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Unlike baseball, basket, football, hockey and other popular sports, figure skating records seem not to be very complete before about 1980.
    Maybe not on-line but USFS keeps a complete record of who won what going back to the early 1900's. Ben Wright's book on the history of US Figure Skating lists almost all of them. The Hall of Fame museum has copies of almost every issue of Skating Magazine, which published the results of Regionals and Sectionals every year. Ditto for "Tracings" magazine from the New England Interclub Council.

Just because records aren't on the internet, it doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means no one's gotten around to scanning them in yet.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Todd came back in 01. He won nationals in 02.
    thanks for the correction, in my mind it was the mythical return for one season only. I should have remembered, since I was there for his bronze medal performances in Vancouver
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    She didn't medal, but Katrina Hacker did a very respectable job in 2008, finishing 6th. She was a relative unknown going into Nationals, and took everyone by surprise by beating former world champ. Kimmie Meissner. Nationals was especially competitive that year. Nagasu, Flatt, Wagner and Zhang were jumping beans that year. IIRC, they all had 7 triple programs.
    Nagasu had a 5 triple long program that year considering her triple lutz-triple toe was downgraded and she did two double axels.

vCash
    Ah. I didn't know that, thank you. I still remember how close it really was though. Wagner had a wonkly landing on her triple loop, but still went for a double loop on the end. She cheated it, and it was downgraded to a single. Had she just rotated that one double loop, she would have been champion that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Angela Nikodinov won gold at Pacific Coast Sectionals and pewter at Nationals in 1997. Did she compete at Regionals that year?
    According to Nikodinov's Wikipedia page, she placed 2nd (junior?) at Pokal Der Blauen Schwerter and 3rd in Senior at Ondrej Nepela Memorial in the fall of 1996, and so it's very likely she received a bye through SWP Regionals that October.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I believe the relevant question is whether a Nobody ever came from Nowhere to win senior Nationals? It probably has happened in the U.S., but it's extremely rare. You may have to back early in the 20th century. It is much more common with juniors.

Yes, that's more along the lines of what I was asking. I figured that it hadn't happened anytime in recent memory and maybe someone would have access to some magic archives

Were unknowns "allowed" to win back in the day? Or was reputation just as important back then (not that it's ethical, regardless, but you know how things are in skating)? By back in the day I mean, whenever they started having regionals and sectionals in the US (I don't know when that was.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Were unknowns "allowed" to win back in the day? Or was reputation just as important back then (not that it's ethical, regardless, but you know how things are in skating)? By back in the day I mean, whenever they started having regionals and sectionals in the US (I don't know when that was.)
    What counts as "unknowns"?

Without looking up the exact dates, I believe that US sectionals started in the 1930s and regionals in the 1950s (or early 60s?).

Occasionally new national champions were skaters moving up from junior level the previous year, not necessarily the junior champion. Sometimes they were skaters who had competed at Nationals in senior the year before or for several years before without challenging for medals. Those skaters would not have been unknown to the judges and others who followed the sport closely, but they wouldn't have been considered favorites or singled out to keep an eye on by the media before the event. So they could have been previously unknown to the TV audiences, for example.

Obviously in eras when there was media coverage of only the top 3-5 skaters at Nationals each year, it would be more likely that someone could win, and certainly medal, while making their skating-on-TV debut. But that's not the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12