Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash

Who has medaled at regionals, sectionals AND nationals the same year?

At the senior level, has any skater had to go through regionals AND sectionals (not getting a bye) in order to qualify for Nationals, and then medaled or won Nationals that same year?

vCash
    Agnes Zawadzki, on the junior level
    Mirai Nagasu in 2007 when she won the junior title

In the senior level most top skaters compete internationally so you don't see this as often.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Todd Eldredge when he did his comeback in 2002
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Didn't Johnny Weir have to go through regionals and sectionals the year he won the title in 2004?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Weir got a bye through Regionals that season (2003-04) when he competed at Finlandia Trophy that October, then placed first at Easterns in November and won his first National title in Atlanta.

I don't know if Rudy Galindo had to compete at his Regional (Central Pacific) in the fall of 1995, but he went on to win Pacific Coast Sectionals and, most memorably, 1996 Nationals (and the bronze at Worlds).

Naomi Nari Nam didn't compete internationally in the fall of 1998 (too young?) and so I assume she had to compete at her Regional (Southwest Pacific) as a Senior before winning Pacific Coast Sectionals and the surprise silver medal at 1999 Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I don't know if Rudy Galindo had to compete at his Regional (Central Pacific) in the fall of 1995, but he went on to win Pacific Coast Sectionals and, most memorably, 1996 Nationals (and the bronze at Worlds).
    That was the first person I thought of . . . especially because he also medaled at Worlds that year. So I went and checked my back issues of Skating Magazine. There was no senior men's event at Central Pacifics that year . . . in fact there were only 6 men at Pacific Coasts sectionals that year, so it looks like all of them would have gone straight to sectionals without having to compete at regionals, just for lack of numbers.

Naomi Nari Nam didn't compete internationally in the fall of 1998 (too young?) and so I assume she had to compete at her Regional (Southwest Pacific) as a Senior before winning Pacific Coast Sectionals and the surprise silver medal at 1999 Nationals.
    Good point. Checking. . . Yes, she did compete at and win both her regionals and sectionals that year.

vCash
    Well, if you include the pewter medal, wouldn't Elaine Zayak qualify in 1994?

vCash
    She didn't medal, but Katrina Hacker did a very respectable job in 2008, finishing 6th. She was a relative unknown going into Nationals, and took everyone by surprise by beating former world champ. Kimmie Meissner. Nationals was especially competitive that year. Nagasu, Flatt, Wagner and Zhang were jumping beans that year. IIRC, they all had 7 triple programs.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Jeremy Abbott won Regionals, Sectionals, and Nationals as a junior in 2005.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Has there been anyone who was a surprise newcomer, like Katrina Hacker? Amber Corwin did similar in 1996 - 2nd-Reg., 3rd-Sec., 6th-Nat.

Has any newcomer ever done 1st-Reg., 1st-Sec., 1st-Nat.?

vCash
    Did Kwan have to go to regionals and sectionals in 1994? She medalled in Sr. Ladies that year -- in '93 I think she for sure had to go through regionals and sectionals, but she finished 6th in Sr. Ladies at Nationals.

How did Cohen get up to Sr. Nationals the first time? The USFSA used to have really nice competitive records up for skaters, but that seems to have gone away with the Ice Network stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Did Kwan have to go to regionals and sectionals in 1994?
    She competed at Skate America and Junior Worlds (which she won) that year, so those assignments probably gave her byes through both.

How did Cohen get up to Sr. Nationals the first time?
    JGP bye? I'm missing some of the relevant magazines from that year.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    At the senior level, has any skater had to go through regionals AND sectionals (not getting a bye) in order to qualify for Nationals, and then medaled or won Nationals that same year?
    Since there are "regionals", "sectionals" and "Nationals" all over the world, I wonder (in) WHICH country you could possibly mean?

vCash
    Cohen won at the Sweden JGP and at Southwest Sectionals that year.

vCash
    I think Caryn Kadavy in 1985 fits the bill.

How far back do you want to go? Before there were many international fall competitions, junior or senior, it was a lot more common for skaters who had already made a name for themselves nationally to compete at regionals and sectionals, whether they were required to or not. And more were required to because there were fewer opportunities for byes.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Todd came back in 01. He won nationals in 02.

vCash
    I thought I read somewhere that Christopher Bowman had to do that in 1991 or 1992.

vCash
    How about Ina/Zimmerman?

vCash
    Did Boitano have to compete at regionals and sectionals when he came back?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Did Boitano have to compete at regionals and sectionals when he came back?

No

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast